what rod and line for relatively narrow and fast flowing rivers ?

Ok, so plan to target some big carp this summer from a relatively narrow fast flowing section of river.

iv got 2 reels, one loaded with rio 6wf line  (iv been using this for redfin)  iv got 6lb leader on this also flurocarbon.

and the other reel is a slightly larger reel loaded with rio wf8f/i   with a clear tip to the fly line.  then i have a 15lb flurocarbon leader off of this.Plan to use this for salmon.

Rods , i have 2 , both 4 pce, one is a 6wt the other is an 8wt. The rods go with there matched weight line (see above)

so my question is , for the big carp what set up would be better ? do i risk spooking the carp with heavier lines etc ?

6wt will be fine. Use a floating line and gentle presentation. usually if they are feeding on the bottom then the fly needs to be dropped gently in front of them or in their path, usually just a little jiggle of the fly catches their attention. Too much movement or splashing often scares them. With floating bread flies I just chuck them out and wait for them to smash them.....

6 weight is good for carp..4 even better ;) 

Sounds like you have it dialed in now though. 

Only suggestion for you is to watch those carp on light tippet. Can be done and lots of people tackle them on light gear BUT

they love to twist around and use their pectoral fins to try and pop the fly out of their mouth or snap the line. Can be very frustrating if you haven't landed a few before. 

Consequently, you need to apply the right amount of pressure and rod angle to avoid losing the fish. Especially if using barbless hooks. 

15 pound on 8 weight for Salmon is good. Even ten works if you can keep them from running under a shelf or brushing your line against the rocks. :P 

• 1 year later...