Hi all,

Just wondering what knots you all use commonly in your fishing. At the moment i use uni knots for just about everything.

Double uni for braid to fluro and uni on terminal tackle. 

That said, I've discovered something like a lefty's loop or rapala knot would be better for lures etc as it leaves a stable loop for the lure to have more natural action, rather than cinching down on the split ring like a uni knot. Any other awesome knots I should be adding to my arsenal? I'm land based 95% of the time and usually use light gear 

cheers

RedReeler

Uni knot to solid ring to split ring to lure is what I use landbased. Quick lure changes with a pair of split ring pliers. Leader length stays the same as no need to tie knots. Unless I am fishing plastics then it is just uni to jighead/hook.

For braid to leader it's always an FG, very quick and easy with the little tool I have.

Uni knot to solid ring to split ring to lure is what I use landbased. Quick lure changes with a pair of split ring pliers. Leader length stays the same as no need to tie knots. Unless I am fishing plastics then it is just uni to jighead/hook.

For braid to leader it's always an FG, very quick and easy with the little tool I have.

I'm interested to know what tools assist making an FG knot please

Redreeler, I probably wouldn't use that combo for lures under 10g. A leftys loop knot or rapala loop would be the go for bream lures etc.

Most of my fishing is larger lures off rocks, breakwaters and beaches.

Dmck, the tool I use is called the daichi seiko knot assist. It's a fair bit smaller than those Ez Knotters. Easier to chuck in the back pack as it is nice and compact.

G'day

Uni knot, loop knot, double figure 8 and FG knot my main knots

Those gadgets look like a waste of money to me after tying quite a few FG knots without them, which is easier and quicker

Picture the 2 main rollers of that gadget being replaced by the rod tip and a tie off point ie rod in a rod holder and other end at a tie off point

I discovered this method for myself but later found others doing the same on the www.  Give it a go and buy something useful instead :)

Cheers

Rod

PS dmck, I tied one on your rod

Thanks for the information everyone. 

Tried a few FG knot techniques last night and had the most success and consistency using the method below. Its a really neat knot and I think it'll be my go to for braid to leader from now on.

I think my general arsenal is going to be;

- FG knot for braid to leader

- leftys loop for lightweight lures

- uni knot for jigheads, non-running sinkers, swivels, hooks etc

- dropper loops to make attachment points on the main line

- blood bight or sugeons loop on a length of leader material to attach hooks to the dropper loops

I was using the fg knot on all my setups but have found when wading the flats it's just too hard to tie while trying to keep your reel out of the water and the wind fighting you

I normally just use the double Uni while wading and fg when in my boat

I have just been told I have 3 of the knot assist devices on the way to me which should make the fg knot a bit easier while wading😎

I was using the fg knot on all my setups but have found when wading the flats it's just too hard to tie while trying to keep your reel out of the water and the wind fighting you

I have just been told I have 3 of the knot assist devices on the way to me which should make the fg knot a bit easier while wading

How often do you have to tie an FG knot whilst wading? How light do you fish? I wouldn't have thought that you break too many knots at all.

The other method for lure connection I use is speed/quick connectors. I prefer the Norman ones: http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Bill-Norman-Speed-Clips/124322. For bigger lures on Pelagics I use the Hawaiian snaps.

They might not work on real small lures used for YFW though. I suppose you would have to get the smaller ones and check the action of the lure. I use them on Barramundi/Mangrove Jack sized lures quite effectively though down to about 50mm long. Makes it so much easier when changing lures.

For light braid to leader connections when wading, look at the sokkou knot tool from Daiwa. Dead simple and fast. You can do the same knot with your fingers or some forceps (it's effectively a surgeons knot).

Wow you don't get much more simple than that

There's cheaper way of doing it, search for the tool with 'hacked' added

I couldn't find this crochet tool on the spotlight website

Great looking method though (tool or substitute), no problems for the waders there

Cheers

Rod

The tool I have is the best fishing accessory I have purchased. I can tie a perfect FG first time, in about 2 and a half minutes.

The videos of those simplified versions would be fine in the boat. But impossible on the ocean rocks or breakwalls. Not many rod holders out there. Would be a struggle on the beach in the wind too I reckon.

Rod, I rekon this is the tool he's using in that video for his hacked version. https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing/knitting-crochet/needles-hooks/birch-plastic-handle-latch-hook/p/BP80122640

I do like the look of that knot assist tool, but as with the ezyknotter the price is a bit steep for me. I think I'll probably get myself set with an FG tied by hand before I went out and if I happen to need to replace a leader while in a less convenient location make do with something I can tie fast like a uni to uni.

I have just been told I have 3 of the knot assist devices on the way to me which should make the fg knot a bit easier while wading

How often do you have to tie an FG knot whilst wading? How light do you fish? I wouldn't have thought that you break too many knots at all.

I fish 4pound most of the time sometimes 8 pound leader at the most. I don't have to retie many leaders mate but when I do need to change one I end up doing a double Uni and find they tend to catch the guides more and break more often

If I can tie the fg easily while out there then I wouldn't have to worry about as many

I also tie my lures rather than using clips so sometimes a leader change is needed due to needing more rather than breaking them off

I fish 4pound most of the time sometimes 8 pound leader at the most. I don't have to retie many leaders mate but when I do need to change one I end up doing a double Uni and find they tend to catch the guides more and break more often

If I can tie the fg easily while out there then I wouldn't have to worry about as many

I also tie my lures rather than using clips so sometimes a leader change is needed due to needing more rather than breaking them off

I found a good way for tying it in the water... You tie you're hook on first, hook it to you're guide at the tip of you're rod, and then you can have something to pull against. I do the loop around my little finger with the braid, left hand, coming streight off my reel, rod under my left arm..

I don't use loop knots anymore, I find the line wares through too quickly from being loose around the tie point..

(I do fish extremely light though)

In emergencies, I tie a slim beauty for my leeders. It's basically a Uni knot with the braid end and a blood knot for the mono. (Same as how the guy in the first video finishes his FG. But instead of 3 wraps, you do 5-7. Makes the mono tail come out in the middle of the knot, so it goes through the guides easier. It's not very good for thin braid to very thick leeder though..

Can't beat an FG knot for every application!

It does take longer to tie, but that's it's only down point.

Should've given you a buzz to grab an extra one  :D .

Should've given you a buzz to grab an extra one  :D .

One might be spare will let you know late next week mate

We should catch up for a fish soon

Got a new yorkes yfw popper spot that fired for me two weeks ago if your keen

That tool looks great

My mother in law is in Japan atm guess who now needs to go to a tackle shop for me now

Is she still there... maybe a quick bulk order from the patrons here?

Curious, what was the price over there, compared to here, especially with the Aussie Oxford value to the Jap Yen?

Certainly would be interested, and does not hurt to ask.....

SF

That tool looks great

My mother in law is in Japan atm guess who now needs to go to a tackle shop for me now

Is she still there... maybe a quick bulk order from the patrons here?

Curious, what was the price over there, compared to here, especially with the Aussie Oxford value to the Jap Yen?

Certainly would be interested, and does not hurt to ask.....

I'm fairly sure she leaves tomorrow

I'm not 100% sure of cost yet but think it worked out around $40-$45

The people she is staying with ordered them from a online store he uses for his fishing gear

She is bringing them home for me

I'm sure if pricing is ok I could get some more from him if we pay the postage from Japan

When she gets back I work out the costs and let you know

image.jpeg

So mother in law arrives back in Australia and had 2 of these tools for me

Havnt had a chance to test it out yet but will do later and post my thoughts

If others want one let me know so I can work out numbers and I will email our Japanese friends to get a postage quote for me

Cheers