Recycling a lead acid battery for sinkers, is it worth it ???

The lead in old batteries will mostly be in the form of lead oxide and lead suphates. I think you have to melt it with carbon or something to extract pure lead suitable for sinkers. Plus there is lead sludge in there as well. There is a bit on the web about this and the consensus is it is not worth it.

A mate of mine, much older than me, and a very long time ago, found a very large number (100+) of old batteries that had been dumped illegally out in the scrub. They thought of sinkers or selling the lead so they poured all the acid out and restacked the batteries. Then, as you do in the '70s, they set fire to the pile to burn the plastic off. He reckoned there was bugger all lead left that had melted into pools. 

Bi carb of soda will neutralise the acid.

My mate reckons it will be easier to sell the batteries for scrap then buy the lead!! 

Just gut feel, but would agree with that. Recon you'd probably be better off taking up jogging and picking wheel balancing weights off the road!

For safe environmental disposal of the acid, it needs to be neutralised. Suggest pouring your acid into a plastic bucket containing lime

Recycling yards pay $5 battery

Lead pay $1.25kg buy $3kg? & you can pick out the nice clean pieces like dive weights

so much easier to make sinkers with

I have the 3× star surf mould, 4× tear drop swivel my favorite & 4× snapper & all the gear

I could be talked into a sinker day as I nearly out of whiting size

I spent last sat afternoon munching chest freezer of burly logs

I wanted to do sinkers but not in the rain

Thanks for the tips and opinions. I don't really care about the savings, I just like a bit of DIY and try not to waste possible resources. I still have some lead laying around but thought I might as well add to my collection but only if it was easy enough to do and was worth the effort.

I have a recycle yard close to me so I might just take them down there.

Cheers guys :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bjorn2fish
      Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's competition time!!!!!
      A big thank you to David from SAVAGE TACKLE for putting up a gift certificate worth $50.00 for the comp.
      Savage Tackle supplies a large range of professionally made sinkers and weighted burley pots (both PVC and stainless steel) to both recreational sectors and tackle shops. Products are produced at their Gulfview Heights premises and have the ability to custom make products if requested.
      Savage Tackle is proudly South Australian and family owned.
      Proud supporters of the Onka Stompa Fishing Comp and Coast to Coast Fishing Comp.
      First of all, please go to the SAVAGE TACKLE Facebook page and hit the like button https://www.facebook.com/Savage-Tackle-1255136391255153 Also look out for SAVAGE TACKLE products at your local fishing tackle store.
      It's a very easy competition, just guess how many sinkers are in the box. First one to guess wins!
      Get in there and have a guess, one guess only at this stage please and let's get this comp cranking with guesses and comments so the thread can be seen by everyone.
      Good luck everyone and again a big big thank you to David from SAVAGE TACKLE!

• By bjorn2fish
      I had a look at my fishing gear today and it's a shambles. I need to organise it all big time. So it got me thinking what kind of storage and organisation do people have for their fishing gear at home, in the shed or the man cave etc.

If you have any cool car, 4x4, boat storage ideas perhaps we can start another topic for that.
    • By bjorn2fish
      I saw Alex and Underpants live baskets and the comment from hooklinestinker and thought we need a DIY inspiration thread. A place where we can post pics to inspire those who love DIY.

Use this thread to post up DIY projects that you've had around for a while but can only show finished photos of projects.

Don't be a cop out and post up a finished project photo when you could have posted an entirely new, nicely detailed topic.

Feel free to post up anything we all might be interested in e.g. live baskets, live wells, rod holders, lures, custom tackle, boat and trailer mods, stuff that is handy for the fisher, boaty, camper, off roader, you name it!
    • By bjorn2fish
      With a early morning flick down the Onk with no results I came home still thinking fishing and after catching up on a bit of work and doing a few things around the house I thought I'd get stuck into making a few DIY soft plastics, I'd rediscovered the moulds in my shed recently.

Paddle tail and curled tail grub in a few colours. The green one glows in the dark, takes a bit to charge up but does glow pretty well. I'm pretty messy when pouring but just trimmed them up with scissors afterwards and they look ok. Also have a few jig head moulds, the jig heads came out pretty well, I'll be trying those with the paddle tails. I can't wait to have a flick and see how they go 

• By The Fishing Guru
      How To make a very cheap, very simple Rod Holder . . . great for light-medium fishing on the river for example