Castmaster Xcelerate

• 3 weeks later...

We had one to play around with at an ASF practice session. While it worked as advertised and could be a thing for novices who cant get the release working at all, there were considerable drawbacks. Some of which included having to cast with the same power each time, so if you want to cast a heavier weight or drop one in close you need to readjust it. The other big drawback for us distance casters is that you can't use any of the distance casting techniques. Even for just a "normal" cast on lighter gear i had to tighten it up as tight as I could and it could have still gone more.

We checked the distances with the laser and found that a normal release and using this device got roughly the same distance when using the same casting style. It was a while ago but from memory the distances were around the 100m mark, considerably shorter than what that rod would be capable of with an off the ground or pendulum style cast.

If you want more distance the best way is to get some tuition to get your technique sorted. 99% of people out on the beaches could add 50 to 100% just through learning a good technique. We see it all the time, avid surf fishermen who have been fishing for decades come out and with a bit of tuition and practice they all make decent improvements. 

G'Day Gents, I thought I would offer some background to Castmaster Australia Pty Ltd's Xcelerate and its use. Let me declare my interest. My name is John Waters and I am Chairman of Castmaster Australia Pty Ltd. Castmaster Xcelerate is designed for 80% of anglers who use a standard surf outfit and cast with an over the shoulder technique. I am a multiple Australian and International Casting Champion and I know very well the techniques referred to in posts above, including Jeremy’s video, but most anglers do not use those techniques. I agree that if every angler got some coaching, say from the ASF's Jeremy Schrader or other excellent coaches and casters in Australia, and then trained enough to perfect those techniques, they would never have an issue putting their bait where the fish are. Ted Whittam, Australian and World Casting Champion and record holder says it all on the website. The point of the unit and the casting action used is that you can follow through with your rod fully because the Xcelerate will release your weight at 40 degrees, irrespective of where you stop your rod tip or when counterflex begins. However, when we launched this product we did not have those anglers in mind. It is aimed at the average angler, his wife/partner and children, or the angler who has a problem loading the rod and releasing the line because of physical challenges e.g. arthritis, wheel chair bound anglers etc, etc. As stated in an earlier post there are restrictions on its use but they do not inhibit 80% of surf anglers and it is better to let people know upfront what they are than be disappointed because they thought it would work with a revolving drum reel, for example. The unit is manufactured, packaged and distributed from Victoria and like all new businesses, price will always be an issue for the owners to wrestle with, as they try to reduce the cost of manufacture. That may come with time and quantity but the decision was made to use Victorian processes, materials and labour, and establish patents in a number of countries, including Australia, however, if a copy is made offshore at 50% less labour, materials used etc etc, then so be it. If that happens and Australian anglers get a reduced price with a copy, good luck to them.
It is an Australian designed product that is totally unique and for the angling market it is aimed at, I believe it will assist. Time will tell. 

John

Sorry I tried to edit the above post but could not. At my age I have trouble remembering my name. What I meant to post was that we did send a unit for feedback to the ASF back in January and are awaiting that feedback. In our correspondence we did emphasise who it was targeted at. I may have got that ASF feedback in Smiley's post and if so, appreciate that Smiley. I note your two comments, the former being that the tension can be reset in an instant using the Xcelerate's dial to cater for changes in weights cast or power applied and the latter I hope I have addressed with my description of the majority of fishos and their families who do not always cast where the fish are.

I have been a subsciber to the ASF Forums for years and recommend everyone visit their site for any information on casting. It is a great resource. Have cast against Jeremy Schrader of the ASF on a few occasions and he always gives freely of his time and information on casting technique to anyone interested in contacting him. As I said in my above post, check out his videos on Youtube. Have spent some time with a customer who are also member of the ASF, about casting their Xcelerate and general technique distance casting issues. Enjoyed his company and feedback immensely.

Thanks again,

John

• 4 years later...

Hi guys n girls i to have been trying to replace my damaged castmaster and have tried everywhere to find them

As there website ...www.castmasteraustralia.com.au is not avalible i have even tried to find the man behind it mr john waters who i belive is a member here so if there is anyone on here has 2 for sale they dont use or john waters if u read this pls help find them or anyone know where to get them drop me an email or reply

Tight lines cheers