A forum member PM'ed me about pulley rigs, but I couldn't figure out how to post images in a PM, so thought I'd just throw a new topic up.

20161107_175652.jpg

Here's a whole rig, I always use 80lb mono for the sinker trace, and for mullys often the hook trace is the same, but sometimes 60 or even 100 or wire if the toothies are around. The hook trace must be a bit shorter than the sinker trace.

20161107_175723.jpg

This is a closeup of the Gemini clip, the swivel that acts as the pulley, and the beads on either side that protect your knots. I use a big swivel because the eye is thicker and doesn't beat up the mono as much, after a few good fish you may need to replace the rig, better than losing the fish of a lifetime. Always use good quality stainless steel swivels, brass swivels are crap and have no place in saltwater fishing.

20161107_180005.jpg

Here's the hook sitting in the Gemini clip attached to a sinker. It's a 7/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle. The weight of the sinker pulling down keeps the hook engaged. When the whole thing hits the water they separate and your hook and bait drift free.

After casting let your sinker bed itself then wind up the slack, have your drag tight enough to set the circle hook but not so much that a good fish pulls your setup into the sea. The design will allow a fish to pickup the bait and move a bit before the tension sets the hook in the corner of it's jaw. Another bonus is that the sinker is up away from the fish and the seabed on the retrieve.

Excellent! Thanks Plankton, had meaning to PM you regarding that one for ages!

Took me a little while to get my head around what the second swivel was for......... :facepalm:  Stops the hook from pulling all the way back thu to the pulley 'swivel',  hence once the cast is tensioned up it sits like a 1-hook patternoster, more or less.

One question: how to you bait up to ensure you don't effect the Gemini Clip's release?

There's a few variations of this rig. Chk out this guys Youtube channel for more info on making your own gemini clips etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeVntpTqOSg

Nice vid but geez the bloke can talk! Suggest starting at 8:29 if wanting to get down to business.

I'm hoping they put up the english version soon. Almost need subtitles with that one  :D

I used one on my last trip and found the rigging needs to have some good balance to cast efficiently but in that they do create less wind drag and enable a longer cast I found.  In saying that I caught more on my standard non pulley rig but they were in different parts of the gutter so can't really say they have a difference on luck lol

Excellent! Thanks Plankton, had meaning to PM you regarding that one for ages!

Took me a little while to get my head around what the second swivel was for......... :facepalm:  Stops the hook from pulling all the way back thu to the pulley 'swivel',  hence once the cast is tensioned up it sits like a 1-hook patternoster, more or less.

One question: how to you bait up to ensure you don't effect the Gemini Clip's release?

You always want a fair bit of the hook point exposed with any hook, but even more so with a circle otherwise it won't work. So the bait is usually more on the shank part of the hook and when baiting up the bait sits to one side of the Gemini clip's hook (if that makes sense).

The Gemini clips release 100% of the time when they hit the water (sometimes before if you're sloppy) I've never had the bait get in the way. Previously I've used Breakaway IMP clips which have a little levers that flip to release the bait, and you did have to be more careful how the bait was sitting as sometimes it did interfere with the release.

Great work there Plankton! Really appreciate you putting this up. Going to have to get a few more bits and pieces for the FWC mission in a few weeks by the looks!

The Fishing Guru used to sell clips similar to the Geminis, I bought a few off him, last time I looked he did not seem to have them though.

Underpants, on 08 Nov 2016 - 1:48 PM, said:snapback.png

Murphysegg, on 07 Nov 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:snapback.png

There's a few variations of this rig. Chk out this guys Youtube channel for more info on making your own gemini clips etc.

Nice vid but geez the bloke can talk! Suggest starting at 8:29 if wanting to get down to business.

I'm hoping they put up the english version soon. Almost need subtitles with that one  :D

Hahaha........My parents are Geordies so i must be more atuned to the accent  :lol: 

I liked the look of the Pulley Rig for it's casting ability & also the way the fish would pull the sinker up clear around the central pivot point upon hookup.

I tried this rig last year down Salties but didn't notice much gain in casting distance but that would have been more due to my lack of casting technique, so i would assume a proficient surf caster would benefit with this rig.

I didn't have any hookups whilst using it & switched over to a traditional paternoster for the remaining w/end, however i think i'll try it again if ever i chance upon a hot bite. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the splashdown sinkers, They have a nice positive locking mechanism that is less prone to accidental releasing. They also have grip wires with adjustable tension so you can fine tune them to release when you want them to. A couple of tackle stores around Adelaide are stocking them now.

http://www.australiansurfcastingfederation.org/AsfForum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2487&sid=fc6fb5d741738288e27ca57019c7a60d

I prefer the splashdown sinkers, They have a nice positive locking mechanism that is less prone to accidental releasing. They also have grip wires with adjustable tension so you can fine tune them to release when you want them to. A couple of tackle stores around Adelaide are stocking them now.

http://www.australiansurfcastingfederation.org/AsfForum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2487&sid=fc6fb5d741738288e27ca57019c7a60d

The splashdown sinkers won't accept larger hooks, I believe a 5/0 Gamakatsu is about the biggest they will take. That is the smallest hook I'll use chasing mulloway and sharks off the beach, usually it's more like a an 8/0. They also look like there's too much going on with them, too many moving parts, on the beach I like to keep things simple.

Both the IMPs and the Gemini clips will not usually release accidentally when using an overhead thump cast or a pendulum if you keep things smooth. I usually use an OTG cast which makes things a bit trickier as everything is laid out on the sand, but if you keep tension on the pulley rig and, once again, keep your cast nice and smooth, there's no worries. If things do let go early all that happens is your cast doesn't go as far.

The splashdown sinkers won't accept larger hooks, I believe a 5/0 Gamakatsu is about the biggest they will take. That is the smallest hook I'll use chasing mulloway and sharks off the beach, usually it's more like a an 8/0. They also look like there's too much going on with them, too many moving parts, on the beach I like to keep things simple.

Both the IMPs and the Gemini clips will not usually release accidentally when using an overhead thump cast or a pendulum if you keep things smooth. I usually use an OTG cast which makes things a bit trickier as everything is laid out on the sand, but if you keep tension on the pulley rig and, once again, keep your cast nice and smooth, there's no worries. If things do let go early all that happens is your cast doesn't go as far.

They can easily be used with larger hooks by adding an loop after attaching the lower hook. This also sits the bait a little further back and directly behind the lead.

An off the ground cast is where the Splashdowns work particularly well as they don't release if the line goes slack. This is why they are great for people who are just starting to use clip down rigs.

If I'm using a double pully rig I usually use a splashdown on the bottom and an imp on the top. I have opened up a few imp clips when casting heavier weights (175g + squid) so I go back to a single pully for this.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of the bits in that kit are unnecessary IMO. I always try to keep rigs as simple as possible. For my pulley rigs I use a bait clip, two beads, a smaller swivel and a big one as the pulley, and of course a hook (just one though). Dedicated pulley swivels are fine, but for me a big stainless steel swivel is better and more streamlined, extra stuff just picks up weed or provides one more spot for something to fail.

They do have a good price on IMP clips though.

Thanks Underpants