Recommended Action Camera for a beginner.

I’m in the market for an action camera and wondering if you guys have any recommendations on cameras you currently use or have used in the past.

But of course, I don’t want to spend more than $120.

I know and understand that for something under $120 it is not going to be the best, but for a starting point hopefully someone can recommend something that gives reasonable quality etc for the price.

I have pm’d a regular on here and has suggested that BigW and Kmart have some ‘ok’ units (thanks Alex).

But now really would like to hear from anyone with personal experiences with the cheaper models.

• Under $120
  • Waterproof
  • 1080p
  • Clip onto cap (preferable) or chest strap
  • Good quality

I have been looking at these which seem ok for the price.

http://www.power-battery.com.au/car/sports-camera-sj4000-2.htm

http://www.power-battery.com.au/car/sports-camera-sj5000.htm

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/the-best-tech-buys-under-50-56901/product/laser-navig8r-sports-cam-full-hd-1080p-w-2-4-lcd-touch-screen-394162/?st=1&sid=56901

So I appreciate any input that you guys may have.

I had the SJ4000,one big problem is no spare batteries that fit

What had happened is the battery got down to 15mins life before going flat,i found a replacement battery and ordered it and it didn't fit.Was about 1mm too big,so i ordered a few more from different suppliers as they were cheap and same thing 1mm too big.Ended up making a dash cam out of it and running of the cigarette lighter and it worked great.

Still got those new spare batteries here and of no use.

Picture quality was great as a action cam just a pity about the batteries.

I was looking on line last week for another replacement action cam and noticed a ebay mob was selling the SJ4000 with 2 batteries so you may find they have replacement batteries to offer when needed at a later stage.Ask them first if you can buy batteries separately before placing a order on the camera. 

Last week I ended up buying a used Gopro Hero 3 and got some spare batteries delivered today,at least this way i had a good supply for future use.

Hope it works out for you whatever you end up with

I bought an sj5000x and sold it after taking it fishing a couple of times and it not being useful.

I got extra batteries and a duel charger on the side and yes the battery time was pretty poor if recording 4k yet still not very long with 1k.  

Each time the battery is turned off the setting return to factory default which meant setting it over each time upon switching it on (pain in the ass+less fishing).  

Turning it on was a problem for me as it was a manual procedure.

If or when I get one again it will be a wireless remote to make it much more easier to use without having to handle/worry about filming as much and focus more on the fish.

Ebay has some cheaper ones for around $80 and explain in detail the features properly.  I would avoid Chinese sites as they don't display proper features.

At the end of the day many people will say it....that with go pro type durable camera's you really get what you pay for, its just a shame the good quality comes at a crazy price  :)