Hi guys just a quick question I'm looking at a new set up for bream I was using a stradic 2500 fj model and a shimano raide 2-4 kg Rod but snapped the rod and drowned the reel on the weekend in a fight with a log on the kayak.

I have opened the reel up and have ordered some replacement bearings and other parts for the reel but will probably use this as a back up reel now with some heavier line on it for some fun with bigger targets.

What I am looking at is a shimano yak raider 1-3kg Rod and a shimano stradic 1000 on it what my question is will I still be able to target flathead and schoolies on a set up like this or would I be better of with another 2500 and also what pound line would you recommend for the 1000 real I've never fished this light before.

Any feedback would be great thanks

Yep sounds quite do-able and a lot of  fun too! If the schoolies have a bit of room to run you should be fine.

For 1000 sized, 6lb or less. Folks seem to like 4lb for their bream but if gives me the the s**ts, being so fine and wispy.

If you're wanting to target flatties & schoolies with the same setup, i'd lean towards 6lb.

I had an Shimano Stradic 1000 Ci4 with 4lb Sunline and an 1-3 livefibre blades and tails and have caught 3kg salmon, 48cm bream, mullies up to 95cm it was my go to setup for everything until Shimano stuffed the reel up. Now I run an Daiwa 2013 Luvias 1003 with 4lb braid on the Livefibre rod. 

Hoping it gets used a fair bit this summer!

Thanks for the feedback guys I picked up a shimano yak raider 1-3 kg rod I had one last year but snapped some how (dogs I assume )

Now am picking up a c14 1000 next week.

In regards to line has anyone tried any of the fused braid I have heard that it tangled easy because it was extruded flat but there is a new Japanese one at bcf that is extruded round and is apparently really good any thoughts ?

Thanks for the feedback guys I picked up a shimano yak raider 1-3 kg rod I had one last year but snapped some how (dogs I assume )

Now am picking up a c14 1000 next week.

In regards to line has anyone tried any of the fused braid I have heard that it tangled easy because it was extruded flat but there is a new Japanese one at bcf that is extruded round and is apparently really good any thoughts ?

Most reels i got are fitted with Berkley fireline,never had any issues on any Stradic Ci4,i'm usually fishing twice a week casting hundreds of time with lures and it works fine in 6,8 or 10lb

Or Berkley Tracer

s-l1600.jpg