Smoked Spanish Mackeral

I'm going to smoke this big piece of mackeral this arvo in the BBQ with the lid down. I get some really good smoke off the solid plate.

Been brining for 48 hrs now drying off in the fridge.

If it tastes good I'll let you know. If it is crap I will never mention it again.

20161126_132014.jpg

I caught a lot of S/M of Dampier WA and they are fantastic smoked or thinly filleted and fried. When smoking we found filleting next to the back bone was the best BUT the really best was the backbone itself, yum the flavour of the bone is indescribable (my mouth is watering now)   

Well, cooked it for an hour at 150 deg on the BBQ. Just not long enough to cook near the bone. I was eating the outside bits though. Heaps of oil was pouring out of it though when cooking. Still nice and juicy. 

Saying that I won't do another on the bone again. You just don't get that good a smoke flavour. I'll never be able to eat it all by myself so I'll make some smoked mackeral patties and a mackeral dip out of it. Last time I used long tail tuna for the dip. I used this simple recipe http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/20745/smoked-whitefish-dip.aspx?rum=us

I caught a lot of S/M of Dampier WA and they are fantastic smoked or thinly filleted and fried. When smoking we found filleting next to the back bone was the best BUT the really best was the backbone itself, yum the flavour of the bone is indescribable (my mouth is watering now)   

The first smoked fish frame I had was off a 20kg Kingy, head and all. That was superb. Just sprinkled with salt and brown sugar. So much meat between the bones and in the head. Have done it with snapper frames as well. I did a longtail tuna frame and head about six months ago on the BBQ. Fantastic as well.