Hi mate welcome to Adelaide if you want to go of the rocks outer harbour is usually pretty decent for squid have got a few small snapper of there but is closed season in SA for snapper at the moment I believe.

There is also the port river for bream salmon trout and mulloway but really have to put the hours in for the mulloway unless your really lucky.

West lakes is good for much the same species as the port but there is arguement to wether or not you should eat fish from the lake 😷.

Most jettys along the metro coast should hold squid and blue crab at the moment and snook at night under the lights.

Further down south near norlunga there has been some salmon spotted near the onkaparinga mouth a few weeks back but I am unsure if they are still hanging about.

Can usually get yellow fin whiting of the beach at certain spots and a mixture of rays.

Also mutton cove on the port river holds good rays but I believe the council is re building the wall way and there is no access to the beach but they may be done by now.

As for a fishing charter I have not been on a metro charter but I would assume most of them target snapper and it being closed season I can't imagine there would be a charter targeting a species of fish at the moment that would warrant paying for a charter but then again I am not sure of this maybe have a look on the net and call around to a couple places.

Good luck mate

You can use a fly rod for yellow fin whiting. Especially if you don't mind polluting it with bait and making purist fly fishers gasp in shock and have a heart attack. Can be a great way to present a weightless or lightly weighted bait to the shallows where the whiting lurk.

But I would recommend a medium/light action general purpose travel rod outfit around 7ft with a 2500 size reel and 8lb line. Perfect for going for a walk flicking lures for salmon-trout or bream, or presenting light weight paternoster burley sinker rigs off jetties for tommies, silver whiting, gar and similar or stick float rigs for the same. Or chucking light sliding sinker rigs right in the shallows with live worms for yellow fin. Also good for throwing small squid jags either from the rocks or from the southern jetties off the end near the sea grass.

It's the snapper closed season but the charters will still be running for king George whiting, squid, gar and other basic bread and butter targets and would be a great way to get you onto them. If you want to more reliably catch something and learn the best techniques for them at the same time you are best getting a charter. I see charters as more of a fishing education thing than just transporting me to where the fish are and well worth the money when I could afford them.