Fix Fuel Tank and Don't Trust Anybody

I'm fuming and need some help.

Got a fuel tank leak on my last trip trip to Arnhem Land. Thought it was one of the hoses come loose. Tried to get the cover off but the dealers had been lazy and used a combination of hex heads (which I had) but also those square head bolts, which I didin't have a tool to remove.

Anyway, when the dealer who shall remain nameless at this stage, put the fuel tank under the floor and fitted the centre console they used bolts that were too long. It has taken almost 2 years but one at the front has managed to go straight through causing the leak and the other one has gouged a hole about half way through. The ones at the back are okay.

Photos

20161205_185438-X3.jpg

20161205_185530-X3.jpg

Half way through

20161205_185537-X3.jpg

And how far the bolts protrudes with the appropraiate clearance at the top for the clearance for the bottom of the centre console

(can't edit photo link. It is below)

Now I am leaving for WA this Saturday. Obviously wont be able to get the dealer to get a new fuel tank from NZ, even if they agree to do it, in that time or get one made. Don't want to solely rely on tote tanks either. Anybody have an idea for a temporary fix? Obviously not welding - unless I fill it with water - maybe, but very dangerous I would think. I'll be getting some shorter bolts obviously. 

Interesting conversation tomorrow with the dealer.

I'd appreciate some advice.

I'll see if I get any more replies but this is what I'll do tomorrow after talking to the dealer. I'll try to get them to commit to paying for a permanent repair or new tank. I forgot I have a few of these kits because some idiot over-torqued the sump drain plug on my KTM and removed the threads.   Because the hole is very circular it fits an M10 recoil tap like it was drilled for it. I'll get a short M10 bolt and some JB Weld and glue a bolt with a fairly large SS washer onto it after cleaning with a heap of acetone and roughing the top surface up. Should be a fairly robust temporary fix.

20161205_195752-X2.jpg

I just had to get them for my work ute some how i melted and blew out a spark plug and found it on my chassis rail. If you can find a rivet large enough for the hole that will be your best bet If not use a lot of thread sealant before you put the sleeve or bolt in or tap the hole without a sleeve and try and find a aluminium bolt.

You want to try and use alluminium to alluminium and stainless to stainless and so on otherwise you create a reaction called galvanic corrosion that will create a negative and positive and it will eat away at your softer material in this case the aluminium and there being salt water involved it will make this happen quicker.

So in short alluminium to alluminium 😀

Aluminuim to any other steel without a coating in between 😢

All done now. Should be good for a temp fix. I used 25mm bolts instead of the 40mm that were used to hold the centre console down. Didn't ring the dealer, did email last night though. 

More calm now  :)

I'll have a chat to them tomorrow. 

I'll be camping on a beach along the Ningaloo Reef for the next six weeks from Mon or Tues night. These things are sent to test us.

I'll do a trip report seeing as I'm keen to do more of a blog.

Anywhere near Exmouth, Knackers?

Cheers

af

Ningaloo station.

Will you be in the area (its a big area)

Nah, Knackers - I should be so lucky! I was up that way briefly in June this year (not fishing, unfortunately) and it looked like some prime fishing real estate, from what I could see.

Be sure to post up some snaps and a report when you get back.

Cheers

af

Anywhere near Exmouth, Knackers?

Cheers

af

Ningaloo station.

Will you be in the area (its a big area)

Nah, Knackers - I should be so lucky! I was up that way briefly in June this year (not fishing, unfortunately) and it looked like some prime fishing real estate, from what I could see.

Be sure to post up some snaps and a report when you get back.

Cheers

af

I've got one of those 4G wireless devices that I can plug an external 6 dB antenna into. Can normally get 3G coverage from Coral Bay about 60 kms away standing on the dune behind camp. My wife and I sit on this with a red/rum/beer/champers every night to watch the sunset whilst I check the next few days weather. I should be able to post pics up as I go.

Here's a few teasers from previous trips

IMG_2557-X3.jpg

IMG_2614-X3.jpg

View from the sandhill looking North

IMG_2107-X3.jpg

IMG_2629-X3.jpg