Advice for ticking a few off my list

So I'm looking to tick a few off my list in the coming months and will be starting this weekend. My list is;

- Bream, 30cm+
- Flathead
- yfw
- gar
- snook

I've tried for Bream a fair bit over recent months but after quite a few donuts and only 1 small bream at onkastompa, I'm looking to rebuild some confidence! I'm thinking Gar might be a good place to start as I hear the metro waters have finally cleared up (thanks dutchy).

My plan is to head out to a metro jetty on an incoming tide and (as I've read the locals do) berley up and use a bottom rig with a small float to raise up the bait about 1m off the bottom. meanwhile, I can throw a squid jag around. If nothing happens, I could then head shallower and try a running sinker rig for some YFW.

Any thoughts on if I'm on the right track? I'd honestly be happy just to catch SOMETHING after the poor luck I've had of late.

Cheers, 

Red

Well I reckon that's a pretty good plan for the moment.

depending if you are North or South, but Gar down South are a little slow - but they are there.  The berley should do the trick and using a bottom rig would be worth a go. And if not, try a float and change leader depths after say 1/2 hour.

YF are are being caught more northern beaches but not so much south.

We all need a good week of hot weather to bring things along :)

Im not a bream man but recon OH Breakwater, North Haven will be the way to go? Unweighted bloodworms. Check piratepom's posts.

YFW are thinning out on the flats as things slowly warm up. Suggest following BJSlick's thread; http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/28287-tennyson-yellowfin-201617/

Recon those Tennyson/Grange gutters will be the go for the next couple of weeks or so.

As things warm up further, snook will be achievable off the jetties too. ~75-100mm minnow style plastics under the lights (night time :rolleyes:) would be the best bet . OH Breakwater will produce snook too but they can be really finicky, will loads of frustrating follows and few hits!

Chicken breast fillets chopped into tiny strips are the ducks nuts on hungry bream.

Works great in the Port, West Lakes and the Pat.

Sometimes the hardest part is just finding out where the bream are.

Also worth a look is live bloodworms, freshly dug on a low tide below .20m.

Easily the best bait going in SA for bigger bream.

Crack of dawn or late arvo best times, coinciding high tides the better.

Not really an expert on the other species you are chasing though.

YFW are thinning out on the flats as things slowly warm up. Suggest following BJSlick's thread; http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/28287-tennyson-yellowfin-201617/

Recon those Tennyson/Grange gutters will be the go for the next couple of weeks or so.

I'll keep that in mind. Might end up trying in the gutters if there's no jetty action

I think that's the issue I have with bream.

Bream will be easy to crack.

What gear and rigs and bait are you using for the bream?

Plenty in the Onk

I think the gear I use is fairly well matched to most of the species I listed ( except I'll have to use a heavier leader when i chase some toothy snook );

Rod - Shimano dynamix Bream 2-4kg

Reel - Shimano cazna 2500

main line - fireline exceed 2kg/4.4lb

leader - sunline siglon FC 2.8kg/6lb

for chasing bream, terminal tackle I have tried;

running sinker rig with KL1/0 circle hook and as small a ball sinker as possible depending on coniditons

2" and 2.5" zman grub in motor oil on a TT headlockz 1/16oz #2 jighead

ecogear SX40 hardbody

I haven't tried much bait - mostly tried lures. The two bream I have caught have been both with the running sinker rig listed above and mullet strips as bait.

If you want bream you should hit up the Hindmarsh river down here in victor,this year has been a cracker ,I've c&r over a 100 in the last 4 weeks on fresh peeled king prawn ,numerous over 40cm.early morn the best,very light line and the smallest running sinker,they are hot.

Wouldn't even bother with a sinker for bream, and they'll eat anything, but I've found pilly cubes, small crabs or cubes of chicken to be the best. If you just wanna catch a good one initially, bait is the way to go, they are basically Saltwater carp.

If you are fishing the 3 northern jetties I wouldn't bother with trying to catch squid unless you actually see one. You get a few hanging around the pylons, but not enough to throw a jag all arvo.....better off drifting half pillies on a pair of hooks in the hope of picking up a big flatty, lingering salmon or small bronzie. A squid will still have a crack at the bait if it drifts by and then you can switch to the jag

Well I didn't have too much luck. Ended up heading out on the OH breakwall. Glad I wore hiking boots, but still managed to twist my knee on the way back in... and not even a nibble to show for it. Then headed down to Tennyson casting in the gutters as they were filling up. Again nothing. I noticed the water was looking quite murky again both off the rocks and on the beach, presumably from that bit of a storm/rain we had last week, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

That's fishing!

Ended the day going across to westlakes and managed to hook up on a few small bream as soon as the bait hit the water. Nothing to break the 30cm mark for me just yet but I imagine that's just a matter of time.

I had fun and learnt something, so it was still a successful day!

If you are looking for bream on the jetties, try Henley or Grange. Always heaps of bigger ones under the jetty and swimming around the pylons in the shallows. If your lucky you might get to see the dolphins come in and chase the bream around the pylons....bugger me they can move fast...incredible to watch! Same time you can catch yellowfin, same running sinker rig. They will take worms no probs. Otherwise, yeah West Lakes and I have caught quite a few bigger bream at Tennyson too over the years.

I went for a walk tonight just after sunset just to watch all the rakers....taking any size crabs as usual! But I did see out past the second sand bar where I was walking, 2 of,  over a meter long Mulloway just cruising along. I once saw a monster mulloway in the shallows at Henley jetty just chasing bait fish.

Good luck on your mission lol!

Chicken breast fillets chopped into tiny strips are the ducks nuts on hungry bream.

Works great in the Port, West Lakes and the Pat.

Also worth a look is live bloodworms, freshly dug on a low tide below .20m.

Easily the best bait going in SA for bigger bream.

Crack of dawn or late arvo best times, coinciding high tides the better.

Not really an expert on the other species you are chasing though.

My imfo the pat is quiet for Bream at present they are around but hard to find for some fishos but that is lure fishers