Did my good deed last week and volunteered for the Recfish , Reef design lab and Charles Sturt council Artificial reef deployment and construction for West Lakes . Was an interesting first day at the council putting the reefs together and even tho the 6 volunteers were split into 2 groups for two time slots i ended up staying and helping out for the whole day . They went together fairly easily and was interesting to be so hands on . Some extra tools would of been handy but we managed with what we had , lol . I took the camera along to get some footage of the second day being the deployment of the 12 Reefs which sat at different levels in the water , they were also put in 4 groups of 3 and hopefully this will encourage the fish to be more mobile between the  reefs . Also had my go pro for some underwater footage and i hope to get back for some updates on growth over the next couple of years . Any way , i hope you enjoy the video .

I am curious as to whether or not these models have been proven in similar situations in the past?

Like water dripping on a stone will eventually wear a mark on the stone I wonder how the rope will stand up to constant movement with the wind effect?

Let's hope they work and bring in some smaller fish which in turn will feed those big lakes mulloway.

I am curious as to whether or not these models have been proven in similar situations in the past?

Like water dripping on a stone will eventually wear a mark on the stone I wonder how the rope will stand up to constant movement with the wind effect?

Let's hope they work and bring in some smaller fish which in turn will feed those big lakes mulloway.

Have picked up a lot of those rowing buoys over the years.  Actually the metal parts were the first to go.

Very surprised at the choice of placement.  Right in front of  the main area used at WL, and not exactly that far from the rocks.

Moreover the presence there will cause even more congestion with the rowers, who at times will occupy the whole area, preventing people from being able to fish.  If they placed it directly East, in front of the no-fishing area, I feel many potential problems may have been obviated.  Also cannot imagine the rowers will not eventually 'clean it up' many are young learners and have minimal control of their boats while trying to stay stationary and listen to the coach onshore.

The placement of these are to encourage people away from the no fishing zone and to provide better fishing in this area . Are easily cast to and will be a good snag spot . They have a hefty chain to the rope and the rest will take a long time to rot away , i will have a suss at them soon enough . The rowers should be able to avoid them and it is just the rope and buoy that is near the surface , if a rower gets tangled in that then they are doing a great job . 

i sortve agree the placement is pretty unconvenient for majority of fishers. although i am happy as fishing for me 90% of the time is going for mulloway opposite the placement of these in the 'no fishing zone'. Always at night really late and solo, quite as a mouse ready to avoid any council/police/angry neighbours and/or deros/drunks looking for trouble. if it was me i would have said they should have put these on the opposite side right infront of that no fishing zone to try and make people avoid the area. as i can imagine if placed correctly these would make it extremely hard to fish for any species and not get a snag, especially when the gates are open as your line would drift right into them! but at the end of the day any placement is good placement and i like the idea of these things being placed around adelaide. just need afew more in westlakes and to get rid of the trolleys!!

I guess on a featurless bottom anything that sticks out will be an attractant.Hopefully  not too much taxpayers money went in to building these things,  a one off  day out with a barge and a heap of  old concrete blocks or bricks  from a building site would of been a permanent , cheaper  solution.

Not having a go and appreciate the effort, and time spent, but yeah  those plastic whatever they ares don"t look overly flash.

I'm staying focussed on the positive impact this will have on attracting fish to the areas they have been placed.

I target bream in WL, and I can see this structure having a huge effect on attracting them.

Also see the increased numbers of salmon and mulloway interested in feeding on the smaller species.

Does it really matter what the ARs are made of, as long as it works?

We need many more spread around the lake.

Has anyone noticed a change in the water quality (for the better) since they dredged out the inlet there a while back. Half the reason people fish the "No Fishing" side is because half the inlet was blocked up with a big sand/gravel bar, meaning water only flowed along that eastern side when the inlet was open. The difference in water/habitat quality was quite pronounced last time I fished there.....Crystal clear, flowing water on one side full of bream, mullet, salmon, bait schools and some big mulloway, on the No Fishing side, compared to shallow, silty, murky water on the fishing side.

Can't see a huge improvement in the quality of fishing on the western side unless that issue has been sorted