Shimano Travel Rods

Not pleased !...bought 2 Shimano Travel Spin Rods a year or more ago, one 6 ft one 9 ft. The 9 footer I've only used a few times, seems OK, the other 6 ft Inshore Spin used maybe a dozen times. Despite little use and still looking like new the 6 footer snapped the other day about 1/3 down from the tip with very little pressure, just lifting it into the boat { not at the joins but midway between} I then lightly flexed the broken top section with only my finger tips as a test, and snapped the broken section 3 more times very easily. Surely no rod should be this weak in construction ?, it will certainly make me think about buying Shimano carbon fibre rods ever again, maybe even any carbon fibre ones. Cant help but wonder if  carbon fibre may be light and have good cast action , but mine sure seem to be seem to be fragile. Bit like my very expensive Saltist Demon Blood, scratches very easily and doesn't not seem at all robust.

Funny you say that, we headed down to Salt Creek for a day trip to christen dad's new surf rod ( Shimano Areo Wave). anyway, he was pulling in a chunk of weed of the beach, when the split butt snapped in two! this is the third time our Shimano rods have done this. We went back to where we purchased the rod from (Anaconda) and the guy at the front desk accused us of running it over with a car! Very disappointed with Shimano rods.

Sorry to hear about your rod troubles here, but trying to make sense of your post Seaseecol, did you lift the rod into the boat holding only the top third?

What weight rating is the rod?

Probably advise against lifting a graphite rod (especially with a reel attached) by only the top third, always go for the grip or heavier part of the blank.

It may have flexed with the weight of the reel in the wrong spot and 'bang' there she goes.

Sorry to hear about your rod troubles here, but trying to make sense of your post Seaseecol, did you lift the rod into the boat holding only the top third?

What weight rating is the rod?

Probably advise against lifting a graphite rod (especially with a reel attached) by only the top third, always go for the grip or heavier part of the blank.

It may have flexed with the weight of the reel in the wrong spot and 'bang' there she goes.

Weight 5-8kg.....Lure weight10-30gram.

Yes, maybe I lifted it incorrectly, nonetheless it seems bending strength is not a good point with these. I hardly even bent the rod in lifting, and other rods I have take a lot more punishment than that. As stated originally,  I snapped the broken section in a few more places with not much more than simple finger and thumb pressure purely as a test....amazed how easily it was to break. 2 of my rods are of solid glass, I have had them for over 40 years and still as strong and supple as they were all those years ago....these ones can almost be bent into a circle unlike the broken Shimano in question. I also have 2 Len Butterworth hollow glass surf rods, both over 30 years old, still perfect after a lot of heavy bending. I mean fishing rods are meant to take abuse, or should be in my opinion, they are used in some very hostile situations, regions and conditions, shouldn't have to teat them like fine China. Conclusion...graphite may be strong and lightweight....but very brittle

Funny you say that, we headed down to Salt Creek for a day trip to christen dad's new surf rod ( Shimano Areo Wave). anyway, he was pulling in a chunk of weed of the beach, when the split butt snapped in two! this is the third time our Shimano rods have done this. We went back to where we purchased the rod from (Anaconda) and the guy at the front desk accused us of running it over with a car! Very disappointed with Shimano rods.

hmmmmmm....nearly bought one of those rods, glad i didn't then

We tell lot of people that come into the shop that have either broken a graphite rod or are buying their first graphite rod to check out a video on you tube put out by Daiwa called "bending graphite rods". They show the do's & don'ts when using graphite rods. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fqh2oHZ-E

We had a customer who had broken a rod & said that he didn't know why & it shouldn't have broken, when we showed him the video he said "ahhh, yeah, that's what I done"

A lot of people are not aware of the content of the video

Cheers

Yorky

We tell lot of people that come into the shop that have either broken a graphite rod or are buying their first graphite rod to check out a video on you tube put out by Daiwa called "bending graphite rods". They show the do's & don'ts when using graphite rods. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fqh2oHZ-E

We had a customer who had broken a rod & said that he didn't know why & it shouldn't have broken, when we showed him the video he said "ahhh, yeah, that's what I done"

A lot of people are not aware of the content of the video

Cheers

Yorky

Thanks, however I'm  not sure I believe the benefits of a Graphite Rod outweigh the bad points from watching that....give me a robust rod under "all"  situations any day, even "if" it means sacrificing a little casting distance and weight.

• 3 weeks later...