Moon phases

Hi all,

Just wondering how Moon phases affect fishing. I have read a few things but haven't got the info I was hoping for.

I've read that fishing 4 days over a full moon and new moon, and that moon rise and moon set each day can be good times to fish too, not just sunrise and sunset. 

Can anyone elaborate on moon phases, full moon, quarter moon etc. Or have any preferences and why?

Thanks in advance for any help!

keg

The tides are at their highest and lowest around the new and full moon, which means there's more water movement. This will often result in increased fish activity.

There is also the solunar theory that says that effect of the pull of the moon in certain positions on a fish will affect it's feeding. Moon up and down (directly above or below) are prime times while moon rise and set are secondary times.

Here is SA around the quarter moon we get dodge tides which means almost no movement.

All of this stuff can be helpful when planning a fishing trip. When a few of these variables occur at the same time it can mean good fishing, but there's heaps of other factors as well.

I find it's interesting information to have, but don't live and die by this stuff. The best time to go fishing is whenever you can. Sometimes you'll do very well at the "wrong" time and learn something new about an area.

Moon up is when the moon is exactly halfway through it's path overhead, so if you look at the time for moon rise and set it is the time exactly in the middle. An hour either side of this time is meant to be best. Moon down is similar, but when the moon is on the other side of the Earth, directly below us.

You can also use sites like this,

http://www.tides4fishing.com/au/south-australia/port-noarlunga

If you scroll down to the solunar section it gives you details, but the information is also integrated into some of the tide graphs and tables. A very good site (that I learned about on this very good site)!

I always just look at the tides with no interest in the moon and what it can or can't do for fishing.

If the fish are biting then it's a good day/night.

I always look at - tides 4 fishing and is normally correct other wish I blame the crew, bait, tide against wind, tackle or whatever comes to mind

Good theory Panga, as when I haven't caught any fish the usual reason is one of those you mention, if not all as well :)

Personally I put more consideration into to the tide than the moon phase. A certain tide would never prevent me from going fishing, it might just alter how /where I fish.

In saying that if a "new" moon coincided with a preferable tide, I always had more confidence / expectation leading into the fishing trip.

Big fan of fishing when you can and learning to understand how differing tides / scenarios impact your fishing methods.

Some good comments there! I fish Pt Vic, and my fishlog database will show New Moon is better than Full moon.  New moon in the SE the crays tend to crawl better.  And Snapper fishing off of Cape Jervis i find a few days either side of a dodge most productive (slower drift), so it is a bit horses for courses.

tides 4 fishing is a great site.  I also worked out a few years ago to try and plan fortnightly (new and full moon) trips as opposed to 3 weekly.....