Retrofitting an electric winch

Now that I am on the wrong side of 50, my good wife decided that the days of me hand winching the Northbank onto the trailer, were to come to an end, and bought me a electric winch for Xmas. Bonus! Better than hankies and socks.

She got me a Powerwinch 712A which is made in the US and has about a 3400kg pulling capacity. Which is heaps to drag in the 500C.

Then I just had to install it. Being Mr Tight A I wanted to do that myself and not pay someone to fit it.

The post on the front of the trailer where the hand winch was - I had to measure a point on the post where the new winch would sit, and allow the cable to be level with the boat's draw ring in the bow. Then removed it and cut the top off the post nice and straight with a drop saw at that point and welded on a 6mm plate to the top. (I predrilled the plate to fit the winch mounting bolt holes).

Then off to the galvanizers. $33 to get the whole post done. Came up a treat. There is a trick to preparing a closed tube for galvanising - you have to drill the end plates so that the liquid will get in - and flow out - whatever angle it is dipped. Look on the web for that.

New marine grade stainless 10mm x 30mm bolts, nylocs and washers  from Universal Fasteners at Wingfield. $10.

The cable supplied with the winch wasn't going to be long enough to run under my 4WD. So I had to get 6m of 6mm twin core auto cable. Which I ran under the car using ribbed conduit as required + plenty of zippy ties. I then got 2 Narva Anderson plugs - put one onto the cars 7 pin socket mounting bracket at the rear. Nice and neat. The other I cut the supplied cable to the winch and put it on the end. The cable and plugs were $28.(You will need crimping pliers for the Anderson plug connections).

Connecting to the battery / earth was pretty straight forward, and I used a 60A inline fuse to protect everything. No fuse, maybe one day your car burns to the ground. The winch peak draw is 90A - so I wouldn't go higher than 60A. If it blows, it blows. Better than a fire.

Bit of stuffing around but it works great. Not sure how much the winch was as it was a gift $300? Plus another $80 of bits.

You need to wire in a circuit breaker for that amount of amperage & do away with the fuse, properbly would have gone up a size on the cable as well & get a cover for the anderson plug on the rear of the car & the winch they do some cheap at JCAR.

• 2 weeks later...