Shark Bait Fears

I hope everyone has had the chance to look at the front page of the Sunday Mail.

Fishermen have been accused of luring sharks within metres of swimmers on Adelaide beaches by dangling chicken carcasses in the water.

Crabbers using chicken carcasses and "Gummy" Shark fishers are being blamed for Bronzies frequenting Adelaide jetties, after a 3m Bronzie was chased away from crab nets set on Grange Jetty.This is the sorta sensationalism many of us have feared for some time now, which may be enough to spark louder calls to ban shark fishing and crabbing.
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would not suprise me...For years now they have been cutting off access to fishing spots around Adelaide,making it hard to find a good place to fish,for the land-based person.. Plus all the new restrictions that they have put on the average fisherman,it will be an offense to even own a fishing out-fit shortly,the way that the govt are going... Oh well...I'm just gunna hang onto my rods etc,as shortly they will be collectors items and worth heaps,as we wont be able to use them.... And shortly the only crabs ya gunna catch,is the nasty ones from having sex.. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Guest SuperThahn

Everyone have a think... What is a shark going to prefer fish or non sea dwelling creatures. Its obvious they would prefer fish. I think the whole idea of the sharks being attracted is a crock of poop

What is a shark going to prefer fish or non sea dwelling creatures.

I dont disagree, and I'll say again: "This is the sorta sensationalism many of us have feared for some time now!"Regardless of what we think though, the reason for chicken being banned in crab nets was reported as "it attracts sharks"Now they've moved up a step and the front page of the newspaper shows the sharks supposedly attracted by the inconsiderate and stupid recreational fishermen!Now I have to ask:1) are the general populus gonna listen to US, or what they read in the paper? 2) Which side are they gonna choose?To make things even worse, then they come to a website like this and read about fishermen hypothetically targetting and discussing targetting GW's from these same metro beaches! Seriously, that aint too clever is it? :icon_eek:I think as fishermen, we see it that Bronzies have always inhabited local metro waters, and while they are here, it's a good feed for us to catch. Geez, my mum used to tell me about them on the beaches when she was a kid over 65 years ago.People who know and understand sharks also understand that Bronzies are rarely considered dangerous to man and that we often inadvertantly swim with them.Non fisho's however tend to see it as those stupid fishermen targetting sharks on the beaches are "attracting" the sharks into our swimming waters and endangering our families.I think because of this, it's important for us to be seen to do ALL the right things, to be open and friendly, and to try to educate everyone into OUR way of thinking and show them all that the rec fishermen aren't the enemy of the people. And when we are shark fishing from the beaches/jetties, to try being a little discreet about it. Coz if we don't, when push comes to shove, it's US who're gonna be moved on!

this subjust reli pises off the sharks r always there and i dun t think a :censored: 3 mtr bronze whaler shark is guna come inshore b caz of sum1 useing a bit of chicken and there arent to many pepople that use it and its there home so they can go wereva they budly wont if u get :censored: biten ur going into there home so its ur fault and people targeting sharks set baits out 100 mtrs out.

Now try to take a deep breath and not be so "reli pised off!"This is something which rears it's head every summer, and has been debated over for many many seasons!Some agree that the water is the sharks territory and if ya swim there, you take a risk.Others argue that these are inshore shallow waters along the beaches of a capital cities, and the same beaches families and children head to in droves when the weather warms as, has always been part of our culture, and we have a right to swim there.As fishermen, we are aware that the Bronzies have always been here and that they rarely pose any sort of threat. Non-fisho's and families on the other hand are horribly afraid of the word "shark" and it's something which strikes fear into their hearts.Some want the sharks killed, and would in fact argue that fishermen are doing a public service by removing the sharks from the water.Others want shark nets installed and the fishermen sent packing.And keep in mind, when the word "shark" is bandied about, most people just think MAN-EATER Great White, NOT the many small Bronzies, Reef Sharks, Gummies, etc, which frequent the area.It's not an issue which has an easy answer though.I too would suggest, even though we know sharks have always been here, that the situation IS changing and more sharks than normal are being spotted each season! I don't have any answers for WHY this is happening, but some suggestions raised have included:1) Sharks are becoming accustomed to, and accepting of the many boats and tourist ventures operating in our waters, and are now losing the wariness they once had of people/boats.2) Our spotter planes and vigilance are increasing.3) A lack of the sharks natural food sources are driving them further afield and into shallower waters in search of a ready food supply.4) Chicken carcasses and fisho's are attracting them.Plus no doubt many more I'm not aware of!The story in the paper is a prime example of how sharks make the headlines each summer. The difference THIS time though, is now the finger of guilt is being pointed at US for attracting them here!It's a subject we can argue until we are blue in the face, and I'd suggest if ya wanna argue it, send ya letters to the Editor of the Sunday Mail in "Letters to the Editor" hoping they'll also go to print and show the other side of the story.Likewise, if ya think chicken carcasses being blamed is ridiculous, phone, write or email fisheries and the Minister for the Environment with ya concerns, coz they're the ones who make and enforce the legislation pertaining to our fisheries which we have to follow.In the meantime though, as I suggested earlier, just abide by the law, be friendly to passers-by, be open and if you are sharking, try to keep a low profile, coz the last thing ya want is a group of scared/paranoid local residents confronting you about your activities.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Make way Colonel Sanders, coz it's time for the Berkley Gulp Chicken Nugget, the Squidgy Chicken Wriggler and the Atomic Chicken Carcass! ;D

..... I reckon Atomic Seagull Carcass would be the go :icon_e_surprised:When I kept my boat in the marina it was always strewn with chicken bones.... the seagulls used to bring the chicken leftovers back to my boat and munch out on them.The bronzies will always move along our metro shoreline following the schools of mullet and yellowfin whiting..... it's a catch 22 situation... less bag quotas for these fish means fish stocks will increase which inturn will mean more bronzies feeding/following the schools of these particular fish (not to mention the sharks probably following the schools of salmon along our coastline as well... I was out fishing a big school of salmon at West Beach at the same time that young bloke was taken by a GW recently about 400 metres from where this particular school of fish was)
Guest big lizard

I'd like to see them ban me shark fishing it's political B/S i fish for them don't attract them in anyway or form just dangle a single bait in the water...Piss off Fisheries your doing ya selves out of a job.....

You are making some good points there Ranger.I did not know you could be that sensible!To me as a Pom the word Shark does conjure up the worst but since reading fishing forums I've calmed down a lot.Papers do sensationalise and this is typical.What is has highlighted is that some Dills are breaking the Rules/regulations.That in turns brings down the public wrath on all of us in some way.I'll certainly have the Fishwatch number in my mobile and call directly in front of any "Offenders"

What is has highlighted is that some Dills are breaking the Rules/regulations.That in turns brings down the public wrath on all of us in some way.

Yep! Just look at this thread already! So far fisho's who have read this thread have seen it happening on Henley, Grange and Semaphore Jetties. All local metro jetties popular with swimmers, families and water sports/activities! WE all get blamed for this flagrant disregard for the law, not just the few who are doing it, and now the finger gets pointed at US!Remember last season when some local councils were calling for a ban on crabbing/fishing from the jetties due to the number of complaints from residents about the mess and rotting chicken carcasses left behind? Then the next we hear on the issue is that chicken carcasses are banned! What do you think the next step will be?

i was at semaphore and largs a few weeks back and lots of people are still using chicken/red meat, same situation up at wallaroo the other night. I think many people just do not know about the new law, myself included til ranger pointed it out recently. I spoke to a few people on the wallaroo jetty and they honestly had no idea and quite happily changed over to a tommy in their crab net.. ;DPersonally I dont agree that chicken would attract sharks as fish are their natural diet and im sure they'd be more interested in nice chunk of bloody snapper/tuna. But the we all have to follow the rules so if they are serious about enforcing it signage on the jetties is a must imo to let people know, in a few different languages would help too.. ;)

Ranger, you just hit the nail on the head. Attracting sharks with chicken carcases was always a crock o'. Several local councils put immense pressure on fisheries to outlaw its use for hygiene & litter reasons & nothing more, the media took it to where it is now.Quite seriously, if local councils had inspectors monitoring their jetties, like they do carparking, the issue would not exist. Of course to do this would not make them money but in fact be a cost prohibitive burden, alas, they made it a fishery problem.My point, at the time this was hot at SARFAC, was, how many sharks have you heard of being caught in crab nets, or how many nets have screamed off down the local beach gutters?FEW I would suggest, in retrospect to how many take a Tuna chunk or a Bonito.Finatic

Guest Butters

Just the papers looking for another story.. Shark fishermen attract sharks to the shallows?? If ya go down and check where all the shark fishos baits are you will see this is a crock..the baits are set out 150-200mts from the END of the jetty.. 350mts if not more from the shoreline..its not the shark fishers that need to be looked at here.. maybe the old crabbers using the illegal baits..

I THINK FISHERIES NEED TO BE GOING TO ALL LOCAL JETTIES, TWICE A DAY, HIGH TIDE, AND EVENING. ...THE ONLY WAY TO GET THESE NEW RULES HAPPENING IS AFTER A FEW PEOPLE GET BURNT....US TELLING PEOPLE MAY HELP, BUT PROBABLY MORE LIKELY TO COP A MOUTHFUL IF YOU TELL THEM HOW TO DO SOMETHING THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS...MY 2 WORTH ANYWAY.STU

or is it a case of dont let the truth stand in the way of a good story?

Thats my bet!The media will only report what will sell papers and will ALWAYS conveniently leave out anything that might balance the arguement. Rather than interview someone who may be knowledgable on the movements of the sharks at this time of year and the threat that each species presents, they interview those who use the beach, have little understanding of what it is they are dealing with and have vested interests in removing sharks and fishers from the same waters they use. ::)

My point, at the time this was hot at SARFAC, was, how many sharks have you heard of being caught in crab nets, or how many nets have screamed off down the local beach gutters?FEW I would suggest, in retrospect to how many take a Tuna chunk or a Bonito.

Agreed Fin, but does anyone remember the blue shark spotted and filmed from semie jetty last year? It was shown to be swimming around and nosing in the crab nets that were there. So naturally its the crabbers and their chicken carcasses causing the problem because thats what this shark was hanging around. I agree that the number of crabbers on the metro jetties at this time of year may contribute to the number of sharks spotted in proximity of the shore and jetties, but to also put blame on those who target the sharks from those same areas is ridiculous in my view.I would like to see SARFAC put something in the paper or at least suggest to the media someone they should talk to about the matter so that a balanced report can be made rather than the hyped up stuff we see now.

This is the sorta sensationalism many of us have feared for some time now, which may be enough to spark louder calls to ban shark fishing and crabbing.

Exactly!Pray that no one is taken this year in circumstances similar to those of a few years ago out from West Beach. My opinion is that should a similar situation happen again this year. Those calls for banning supposed high risk activies ( sharking & crabbing) will be heard loud n clear by the il-informed and the effect could be disasterous for those of you who enjoy this form of fishing.My Views :icon_e_wink:

at wallaroo a couple months back i also saw chicken being used in crab nets, this is halfway down the jetty too :others another way to look at it as well - Sharks are one of the biggest most dangerous creatures in the sea - if they find a human in their territory they are going to defend it.if you had some random guy in your house would you just let them be? i think not.And another thing - Why is perfectly ok for us humans to go out and hunt for enjoyment and that is fine. it is just a 'sport' we have been doing that for centuries and how many innocent creatures have destroyed? we have wiped out entire species :oi mean why is it ok for us to do that, yet an animal that we have slaughtered for god knows how long strikes back and injures or takes 1 person and suddenly we a massive situation blown way out of proportion by the media and suddenly we r doing this wrong and that wrong and we cant do this or that or that!!i believe its just natures way. well feel free to abuse but thats my 2c worth. probably a bit more actually ;)from what ve read (and i reckon its all true) we should just ignore EVERYTHING the media, papers, etc say coz who knows how much is just plain BS to make people spend their moolah.

Attracting sharks with chicken carcases was always a crock o'.Several local councils put immense pressure on fisheries to outlaw its use for hygiene & litter reasons & nothing more, the media took it to where it is now.Quite seriously, if local councils had inspectors monitoring their jetties, like they do carparking, the issue would not exist.Of course to do this would not make them money but in fact be a cost prohibitive burden, alas, they made it a fishery problem.My point, at the time this was hot at SARFAC, was, how many sharks have you heard of being caught in crab nets, or how many nets have screamed off down the local beach gutters?

I'm gonna jump in boots and all now! Before I do though, I want you all to know that I have it on good authority, from a source I know that I can trust, even though this is only "heresay" as I cannot provide supporting data or proof! So take my word for it, or label me a liar, I don't care which!I was informed that this all started with the councils acting on complaints from their residents about the mess and the rotten carcasses stinking up the jetties!Now think back for yaselves and you'll remember that it was the councils who first brought this issue to light, along with their own threats to ban fishing and crabbing from local jetties, because that was cheaper and easier for them than employing extra labour to patrol the jetties 24/7 within their council districts.Not long after that we hear from fisheries that crabbing with chicken carcasses after all these years has now been banned! Coz after all, chicken didn't attract sharks until the councils complained to fisheries and the Dept of Environment!My information tells me that even though fisheries claim the carcasses attract sharks, and they will never admit otherwise, it was actually the pressure from councils wishing to close jetties to fishers and crabbers (due to the mess) which prompted fisheries to take this action, as they figured it was better than the "No Fishing" signs going up and consequent uproar/division within the community!This being the case, then we all need to have a look at our own doorsteps, coz it's US who are responsible for leaving that stinking mess! Once again, it comes back to us all being labelled by the actions of some, and once again it's important for us all to do the right thing, to be SEEN as doing the right thing, to lift our image and to play the game by the rules. If we don't we're only gonna be faced with tougher restrictions, and it's US who're gonna be shot in the foot through these actions.And be honest with yaselves, who amongst us here is gonna consult a legal representative, employ shark experts, fund a research project, start a lobby group, partition parliament and raise the voice of the recreational fishers of this state to fight against this sorta thing or have these decisions reversed! Nope, we all whinge about it, blame SARFAC for not doing enough, and then turn our backs!OR, ya could just say it's all bullsh*t, and Ranger doesn't know what he's talking about! ;)

feel free to abuse but thats my 2c worth.

red_devil, I don't think anyone's gonna abuse you for saying ya piece, and ya raised some good points. It's what you think, it's ya honest thoughts, and you're entitled to say it. Many others here believe the same thing, and we're not here to argue with each other. In fact, take a karma point for having the kahunas to stand up and speak out for what you believe!

and yes i do believe hunting for sport or killing animals for no reason is morally wrong.if your not gonna eat it, leave it.im no vegetarian or anything i probably eat too much meat im just sayin only kill it if ya gonna eat it

What about feral Animals like Foxes, Rabbits, Hare, Deer? Cats?