Shark Bait Fears

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red devil you have a very strong pointif you had some random guy in your house would you just let them be? i think not.I have the answer to this, it is about 27mm long, 9mm in diameter, reaches speeds up to 950 feet per second & I dare say would leave a nasty tingle after being activated. Sad part is, ya can't use it to shoot a Piggy Piggy anymore, even if ya wanna eat it.And Ranger I'm with you, I totally agree the councils shrugged their responsibilites to keep jetties junk free & in doing so made it an ongoing drama for us.Finatic

I have the answer to this, it is about 27mm long, 9mm in diameter, reaches speeds up to 950 feet per second & I dare say would leave a nasty tingle after being activated. Sad part is, ya can't use it to shoot a Piggy Piggy anymore, even if ya wanna eat it.

This is way off track I know, but seriously Finatic, to stop home invaders I'd recommend nothing less than a 20 guage shotgun. Unaimed accuracy even in the dark, and serious stopping power for those with a sense of serious home security. ;DOh, and if ya wanna use a 9mm to stop Mr piggy piggy, you are a braver man than I am, with kahunas the size of coconuts watermelons hot air balloons the HINDENBURG! :icon_e_surprised:Anyways, the real reason for this reply: Mr piggy piggy is a feral! Is there some sorta law change I'm unaware of which now prevents us hunting feral pigs?red_devil, Ranger spent quite a few years as a bowhunter (Australian Bowhunting Association/Trophy Bowhunting Club) and he did kill animals for sport! However, we were a self regulating body. We only hunt feral animals which actually do HARM to our environment and native animals, and we do not kill unless we intend to make use of our kill!I know there are many in the community who hold a dim view of hunting (angling also) but I believe we all once were hunters, and as long as ya respect ya kill, kill humanely, and make use of ya kill, it aint much different to going to the supermarket (or going fishing), coz those animals had to die too, and the last thing I'm ever gonna do is become a vegetarian! :icon_e_ugeek:

No professional shark fishermen use mammal or poultry flesh when targeting Bronze Whalers or School Sharks,for the simple reason that if they did they would catch nothing,and there is not a single documented case of a Bronzie killing a human being,that I know of.Other species of Whalers such as the Dusky,which is very rare in our state are a different story,and Great Whites will eat just about anything.Don't you love journalist's.Right up there with Lawyers and Real Estate agents imho. :thumb: :thumb:

hey just got back and read all these posts..

What about feral Animals like Foxes, Rabbits, Hare, Deer? Cats?
i should have made my point clearer in regards to feral animals...its fine to kill them but its just other animals in their natural habitat that are endangered or in normal healty numbers that i was referring to
Red devil you have a very strong pointif you had some random guy in your house would you just let them be? i think not.I have the answer to this, it is about 27mm long, 9mm in diameter, reaches speeds up to 950 feet per second & I dare say would leave a nasty tingle after being activated. Finatic
hahaha :icon_lol: good one thats a karma point!
Don't you love journalist's.Right up there with Lawyers and Real Estate agents
and second hand car salesmen :icon_lol:
OR, ya could just say it's all bullsh*t, and Ranger doesn't know what he's talking about! ;)In fact, take a karma point for having the kahunas to stand up and speak out for what you believe!
thanks ranger and ill take your word for it you seem like an honest guy!!
most big sharks are released unharmed now mate ;) not many being killed exept one for the jaws as it was a great catch! and has to be remembered ;)
i know but that hasnt always been the way in years gone by.

kill EM'....KILL EM ALL!!!! :laugh: ;)I prey for the day they lift the ban on pointers.. how many people have to die.. Theres plenty of sharks to do the same job as the bull #@&* endangered w.p'sLast summer the c.s.r.i.o. tracked a school of the bastards up the gulf, they got to glenelg jetty, hit the brakes and made a b line for the beach.. surprise surprise .. a dude got eaten. actually ripped in half by two pointers, fighting for his lifeless carcass. As his mates tried to bash them with paddles. Poor dude was a mate of a mate.Now you tell me this, how many other animals in the sea circle ya boat trying to work out how to get you out of it so they can eat you.. NONE!AS for people attracting them in. Well it been said plenty here in this thread. They have always been there, simple as that.As for endangered, well I'm damn well endangered too! There's only one of me!And home intruders, well i reckon once the ban is lifted on nowahs they too will be looking down the barrel, Oops both barrels of my 12g.Also I'd like to add, kill all the damn ferrel's you can. They only screw up the environment for our natural fauna. almost wiped out several species now.Now don't get the wrong idea, i don't wanna kill all the pointers but a few less would be handy. if they lifted the ban i don't think every man and his dog would go trying to catch em', you gotta have some serious nutz on ya to even wanna try.I've come close to being eaten twice now.. REAL CLOSE! I'm a commercial diver and thats not how i wanna go out. If a lion was charging at you and you had a gun, you were going to die would you kill it or just go, oh well I'm' on its land sit down and embrace death????Finally thank Christ for shark shields.

yea fellas thats all a load of :censored:!!!i went down to grange the day after that atricle!! i seen 3 different BIG bronzies just swimmin oround hay!! i was spewin bkaz i coodnt get ballons out due to the tide and the dodgie westerly winds!!!! i then decided to leave and went to tha pat to see tha wakeboarding and TERRA FIRMA live!! yea yea!!!! it was sik!!aniway when i was dwn grange police came down tha jetty and asked me to reel my rod in to check my bait and trace bkaz i had my inter 50!! i told no way, are you gona put it back out there??they just walked off bahahahahahahahaha!!lloyd

Coming home from the SE this morning ,on the highway,I saw several things that were far worse a threat to the human population,unfortunately.Like the dude in a 4x4 that sneaked in just in time to avoid oncoming traffic whilst overtaking,or the old couple in a caravan that decided to pull over and take a rest break,without indicating,despite the fact there were 8 vehicles banked up behind them including a Road Train.The Sunday Mail sold a lot of copies this week,personally I reckon the biggest problem with crab carcasses ,isnt the sharks they supposedly attract,but the A holes who use them and leave the stiking things on the jetty to rot.Cheers

kill EM'....KILL EM ALL!!!! laugh WinkI prey for the day they lift the ban on pointers.. how many people have to die.. Theres plenty of sharks to do the same job as the bull #@&* endangered w.p'sLast summer the c.s.r.i.o. tracked a school of the bastards up the gulf, they got to glenelg jetty, hit the brakes and made a b line for the beach.. surprise surprise .. a dude got eaten. actually ripped in half by two pointers, fighting for his lifeless carcass. As his mates tried to bash them with paddles. Poor dude was a mate of a mate.Now you tell me this, how many other animals in the sea circle ya boat trying to work out how to get you out of it so they can eat you.. NONE!AS for people attracting them in. Well it been said plenty here in this thread. They have always been there, simple as that.As for endangered, well I'm damn well endangered too! There's only one of me!And home intruders, well i reckon once the ban is lifted on nowahs they too will be looking down the barrel, Oops both barrels of my 12g.Also I'd like to add, kill all the damn ferrel's you can. They only screw up the environment for our natural fauna. almost wiped out several species now.Now don't get the wrong idea, i don't wanna kill all the pointers but a few less would be handy. if they lifted the ban i don't think every man and his dog would go trying to catch em', you gotta have some serious nutz on ya to even wanna try.I've come close to being eaten twice now.. REAL CLOSE! I'm a commercial diver and thats not how i wanna go out.If a lion was charging at you and you had a gun, you were going to die would you kill it or just go, oh well I'm' on its land sit down and embrace death?Huh?Finally thank Christ for shark shields.

Coight, you have a way with words bloke, and we can always rely on you to say what's on ya mind! ;)Have a karma point for kahunas! Luv ya work!

aniway when i was dwn grange police came down tha jetty and asked me to reel my rod in to check my bait and trace

I dont understand their point! Did they think ya had a chicken on the hook? ???
hey man i think it had sumthing 2 do with the legal size hook and wire diameter?? ??? ??? ??? ??? but oh well they wernt ilegal aniway. i had fun by tellin em wat i felt like sayin and they listened!!!

What better advertising right in the middle of the busiest tourist time of year when the crabs are on it hits the front page of the Sunday Mail. We spent half our time explaining to customers they are not allowed to use "Land Based Animals" and they go down the jetties and half the crab nets have chicken, meat, flaps etc in them. It was a complete turn around yesterday and today. Crab bait sales (fish) have doubled. So many are asking when did the law change. This one front page article has worked. People have taken notice.The one thing that amazed me is this statement made by the acting director of Primary Industries...Primary Industries and Resources SA acting executive director of fisheries Kelly Crosthwaite said the department had received increasing reports of people using chicken carcasses and meat products."If people are using small bits of chicken in their crab pots, it wouldn't be a major factor in attracting sharks," she said.People face a maximum $2500 fine if caught using animal products in the pots.I am confused...they pay people to educate us not to use these baits and then they make statements like that.

I have a plan! ;DThis isn't a knee jerk reaction, coz I spent all night thinking about this, and I've taken everyone's thoughts into account!These days people need to be protected for their own safety. That's why when ya ride a pushbike now ya even have to wear a helmet!I've heard that it's not safe!The sharks have always been there!Crabbers and gummy sharkers are responsible for attracting the sharks!Chicken attracts sharks!It's the sharks territory!Etc, etc, etc!OK, I think it's time we protected the public then for their own safety! Forget the ban on chicken carcasses, forget laying blame, and lets concentrate on the real issue of "danger to the public!"What I need is a team of volunteers, armed with stakes, plywood and paintbrushes, coz we need to remove that danger!We just need to make up enough signs to cover ALL metro beaches which simply says:BEACH CLOSEDNo swimmingno wadingNo watersportsNo surfingNo divingNo ball gamesNo dogsNo childrenNo entryBUGGER ORF!For your own safety if you want to enter the water, buy a bl**dy swimming pool! Crabbers can use their chicken, sharkers can catch their sharks, the protected sharks can dominate their territory, things can get back to normal, and beach goers can get stuffed! The council wont have to employ inspectors, fisheries wont have to monitor the use of chicken, there will be no outlay for shark nets, animal liberationists wont need to be concerned about the welfare of the sharks, people will not get eaten by sharks, there will be no sensationalism, no paranoid public, no outcries from concerned residents, and no danger! ;DAfter all, it's for the safety of the greater population! :stir:Now if you'll excuse me, I have flake to catch! :P

"For your own safety if you want to enter the water, buy a bl**dy swimming pool!"Bad idea Tony... swimming pools require water, which inadvertantly gets sucked from the Murray River..... that's another problem the boffins can't fix either :icon_exclaim: ;D...now I'll have to deduct one of yer karma points... just keep a mental note that you actually have one less :icon_lol:

"For your own safety if you want to enter the water, buy a bl**dy swimming pool!"Bad idea Tony... swimming pools require water, which inadvertantly gets sucked from the Murray River..... that's another problem the boffins can't fix either icon_exclaim Grin

BUGGER! There goes a whole nights planning out the window! And what am I gonna do with all this bl**dy paint now? :-[but really, my stupid little exercise was to prove a point, and that point is, how stupid this whole situation really is!Years ago, people were sensible, and they realised that sharks live in water and sharks bite people, so if ya swim, even though the risk is small, there's always the risk of a shark bite, and if ya get bitten it's either gonna hurt a real lot, or you'll be dead, and either way it'll be your own fault.These days things are different, coz we chose to follow America into an age of litigation where people no longer need to be responsible for their own actions, but can instead always blame someone else for their own stupidity, so nowadays, if someone gets bitten someone else has to take the blame for that!OK, we cant blame the idiot swimming in the water coz he's too stupid to realise sharks bite!We cant blame the shark, coz the shark is a predator who is protected, and doesn't have the income to pay a libel suit!We cant kill the shark because it's an endangered animal.We can't put up shark nets, coz the local council would have to pay for them and the council collects it's revenue from the residents, and why should residents who live near the beach be slugged the cost of protecting visitors to their suburb?Ya cant charge entry fee to the beach to cover the cost, coz the people complain that it's their culture to visit the beach and no government has the right to charge them for that, or we'll vote you out of power!The council cant be sued for the shark bite, coz the shark was in the water, NOT on the councils durastiction and councils aren't responsible for protected animals, so let's handball it over to Dept of Environment!Dept of Environment says, hang on, what about if we blame the fishermen and handball it on too! ;DHere's an easy way out, let's give this one to PIRSA and Fisheries can take care of it, coz after all it is in the water with fishy stuff! Fisheries have a plan hatched over a few beers at the local, coz they're already having a problem with councils complaining to them about the mess crabbers are leaving behind.Fisheries decide "We'll just say that people using crab nets are putting chicken into the water and the sharks are attracted to the chicken! We ban the use of chicken to kill two birds with one stone, and the crabbers will still be happy coz they can still put fish into their nets to catch their crabs. Without the chicken the general populus will now believe we have taken action and the threat has passed, the council wont have to put up shark nets, residents wont have to pay, there'll be no smelly chicken on our lovely jetties, beachgoers will not be charged an entry fee, Dept of Environment have saved their own ass, fisheries are in the clear, and we'll all live happily ever after (woohoo, beers are on us!)..............until the next shark attack!" :icon_eek: But we'll worry about that one when it happens, and we can blame someone else then! ;)So at the end of the day, as fishermen, we cop the blame, we get shafted and we can no longer use chicken! We jump up and down complaining, but who's gonna listen to a smelly ol' fisherman anyway?Chicken is no longer accepted, the story is leaked to the media, fisheries have taken action, everyone is off the hook, no-one had to spend a dollar, and our authorities look good while the population goes back to swimming with the sharks which have always been there!

Problem Solvered

Yep, it's my paint of choice for my beach closed signs!........Hang on!!! An idea hatches! ;DIf we painted all the sharks pink, we could see them coming from a long way off, and then the..................NO! That's just silly! The paint would wash off!If we genetically modify sharks to make them REALLY REALLY SMALL..............nah!Ummm, did I ever tell you that chicken attracts sharks? ;D

you know what annoys me, the fact that while driving to the beach you are faced with a MUCH MUCH MUCH greater risk of injury/death than you are when you get in the water. These facts come from the US but they still illustrate the point the fishing community should be pushing very hardCar Crash Stats: There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005.The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed.About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutesThese are some Australian facts taken from http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/road_fatality_statistics/index.aspx (please whenever quoting "facts" supply a reference to verify the information otherwise its relatively useless)In 2007 There were the following deaths per month:January: 132February: 122March: 150April: 139May: 136June: 131July: 134August: 128September: 122October: 130November: 133December: 159To bring the total deaths over the course of the year to : 1,616this doesnt include the amount of victims left with lifelong injuries such as paralysis, amputation of limbs, brain damage or comatosed victims.Now why on earth are we as a community more afraid of being attacked by a shark then turning the key in our ignition? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the fact that we feel in control when driving vehicle that even if a drunk driver goes straight through a red light into the side of your car BECAUSE you were in control of your vehicle at the time and you can supposedly see and react to problems then everything will be ok. Also im sure being eaten has something to do with it, but realistically if you were eaten by a great white im sure that you probably wouldnt feel anything as it would be quite a quick death.Shark Attacks are tragic but how are they any more tragic than car accidents? if anything i think the fact that humans can do such stupid things like drink driving and speeding make car accidents more tragic then shark attacks, all a shark is doing is surviving. All were doing is being irresponsible and stupid?...anyway long post i know but i read through all 4 pages and it got me motivated.. thanks to those of you who took the time to read itit makes me laugh when idiots use chicken as crab bait, as quite often if im down at the jetty with nets next to theirs i will do ALOT better than them using fish heads or carp. I guess ignorance on their part in this case leads to less crabs on their table haha.

Really it's simple logic....SHARKS live in the sea,it's their back-yard...So if ya are going to play in there back-yard,expect to be bitten.... And personally I reckon the reason for the numerous sighting and attacks lately,is 'cos of the large numbers of bait fish at the moment and that is just too tempting for a hungry shark.... So if ya are a bit of a SOOKY-LA-LAwhere sharks are concerned...BUY A BLOODY POOL...

SHARKS live in the sea,it's their back-yard...So if ya are going to play in there back-yard,expect to be bitten....

If I play on the road, should I expect to get run over?And if so, will the government blame it on chickens? :stir:Coz when I was a kid we used to play on the road. We used to have chickens too! Heck, we even used to swim at the beach, but we never took our chickens! :P
Guest Butters

We spent half our time explaining to customers they are not allowed to use "Land Based Animals" and they go down the jetties and half the crab nets have chicken, meat, flaps etc in them. It was a complete turn around yesterday and today. Crab bait sales (fish) have doubled. So many are asking when did the law change. This one front page article has worked. People have taken notice.

This article may have an upside. People beleive everything that hits the front page of the paper. More and More ppl are becoming aware that certain baits are illegal. fines Apply. etc.Then when there is no chicken being used. All the sharks will disapear, because there is nothing for them to eat.. and no more problems with the pesky sharks!!!! ;D