Considering Going Barbless

I've been considering going barbless on my smaller lures as of late. After getting a set of trebles firmly stuck in my arm and reading Bushy's piece on barbless hooks I am almost ready to take to the lure box with a set of pliers.

Does anyone have any experience with barbless hooks? Pros and Cons? Did you stick with it?

I used to do all my barra fishing barbless. Loved it. People will argue you lose more fish, but the reality is if you keep tension on the line you dont lose the fish. 

If your into C&R, it makes a world of difference as well. Once there is no tension, the hooks just slide out!

Added benefit is they slide out of you as well.

The safety aspect of smaller trebles is exactly why I have switched to single hooks. I tried to crimp the barb, but basically destroyed the treble in doing so. If it is at all possible you should see if you can buy barbless trebles - this is what we used to do anyways. 

Hope the above helps.

It's all part of the fun playing Doctor while fishing AR.. I'm use to it now and the pliers get a work out at least two to three times each trout season with me..  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

It's not all that often I have to use the "Donger" on a trout due to the trebles hooks of the spinner damaging the fish.. A pair of forceps is one of the best tools for removing them too.. The pliers are for me.. ;)

Quite a lot of the time the trout toss the lures once I have them in the net as well.. If they swallow a lure deep then damage will be done to the gills whether or not you have barbed or barbless hooks I reckon and once there's gill damage (I'm talking trout) they have to get the '' Donger " as they'll go belly up anyway. There's a lot of fisho's using barbless hooks now days, you can always try a single hook on a lure too instead of trebles..

cheers

Adrian

Ouch!!! 2017.JPG

Treble hooks stuck in finger, Mersey River, Kimberley. (5-11-15) (Medium).JPG

Hooked again.. (Medium).JPG

Twice hooked in the one day, Mersey River at Weegena.(29-11-15).JPG

Aside from safety and being more fish friendly,I was considering if the hooks would set better due to not having to push the barb through.

The hooks could slide through better and potentially I'd miss less fish due to the hooks not sticking properly.

Spose I can always try on 1 lure and see how I feel

The old pliers surgery is always great fun isnt it? I do need to find a decent pair of forceps for my trout fishing at some point. Just havent found any I like more than the pliers

I picked up a few pairs of bent nose ones on Ebay from the USA, they make it so much easier to remove the hooks from trout than my bent nose pliers..

I still use the pliers for tweaking my spinners as well as plucking the trebles hooks out on my fingers etc.. :D  :D

Give the barbless ones a go AR, no harm in trying them at all... 

cheers

Adrian

Crushed the barbs on a couple of my trout lures and headed back to the creek the other day. First cast dropped a fish which never really connected and proceeded to have a few more half hearted hits where the hooks didnt really stick

But ended up landing two browns and what is probably my PB or second best fish as far as browns go.IMG_20170421_135923.jpg