Snaps / Clips vs Loop knots - Bream / Flathead / Whiting on lures

Hi Hookers, 

After some advice on the use of snaps vs loop knots when targeting Bream, Flatties and Whiting on lures.

Growing up Barra fishing I always used a variation of the loop knot that allowed a quick tie and release when changing of lures. However a number of the guys I fished with, including tour guides, favoured using small snaps. I guess the difference here is the size of the snap in comparison to the size of the lure meant that any visual deterrent was minimal if at all.

After taking up fishing again here in SA, I quickly got sick of retying knots every time I changed lures and given im basically doing a fishing apprenticeship im constantly changing lures to speed up my learning process. As a result, I lose a lot of time retying loop knots and I go through a bit of leader. I discussed using snaps with one of the local tackle shops and was advised against it due to the negative visual presentation. However I constantly read articles and see photos where guys (and gals) are using snaps on Bream and every other species. So it must not impact it a great deal, if at all.

For those that have targeted the above mentioned species for some time, have you tried using snaps and do you have an opinion on them?

Cheers

TL

I know we are 'supposed' to tie HBs and SPs via a loop knot to get that 'right' action but I pretty well use snaps exclusively. Mainly 'casue i'm too lazy and as you note, it's a pain to re-tie for each lure change.

Id assume if the fish were behaving fussy, that extra presentation might help, such as finesse drifting SPs for finicky bream (I rarely fish for bream).

I certainly believe flatties don't care, similarly for yfw, when they are on the bite. yfw can be fussy and i spose tying via your loop not could help. However i usually get impatient and will go off chasing ST instead!

I use Black Magic snap swivels (mostly 2-3kg), roll the snap off for lure snaps and save the swivel for rig tying.

snap-swivel-individual.1.1 (2).jpg

There are much smaller clips available but i find some are hard to use and i've had too many smashed and pulled open by 40+ cm salmon!

Excuse me for butting in on your thread but I am hoping to have my first real go at this soft plastic malarkey soon. :huh:

I was thinking of using similar to the picture below as I already have them, thoughts? Also being fairly new to braid (and lazy) I generally have a swivel tied to the main line then clip a length of mono paternoster rigged. I thought a length of mono to the clip below and on to the SP would work??? :unsure:

Please don't try and teach me one of those ridiculous knots where you need 3 hands, wrap it round your big toes and need the dexterity of a :censored: contortionist to tie it 

thinking about wandering around West Lakes or Snowdens Saturday??

Bass_Lure_Clip_Sizes__96916.1439131061.p

i've done a lot of this style fishing and go the Loop knot,you never lose fish because of it, its very strong and by the time your leader gets too short you probably should be changing it so it doesn't cost you the fish of a lifetime.

cheers nereus

I use a loop knot myself and don't go near snaps unless I'm squidding.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you are using finely balanced hard bodies. I've found in the past using a snap or clip can turn a suspending lure into a sinking one, or cause it to sit at an odd angle in the water, impacting the presentation when not retrieving.

Excuse me for butting in on your thread but I am hoping to have my first real go at this soft plastic malarkey soon. :huh:

I was thinking of using similar to the picture below as I already have them, thoughts? Also being fairly new to braid (and lazy) I generally have a swivel tied to the main line then clip a length of mono paternoster rigged. I thought a length of mono to the clip below and on to the SP would work??? :unsure:

Please don't try and teach me one of those ridiculous knots where you need 3 hands, wrap it round your big toes and need the dexterity of a :censored: contortionist to tie it 

thinking about wandering around West Lakes or Snowdens Saturday??

Bass_Lure_Clip_Sizes__96916.1439131061.p

I personally wouldn't use a swivel when fishing plastics but you can try and see if the plastic swims ok. If the plastic stays straight and doesn't roll around it should be ok. Otherwise you're going to have to learn a leader knot of sorts I'm afraid :) Uni to uni is probably the simplest (well its the only one ive mastered anyway, I hate knots too :) )  the clips you show will probably work too, but again just check how your plastic swims/sinks etc.

I have always used "Quick change lure clips" for soft plastics, hard body and squid jags. The lure clip size to obviously suit the type of lure/jag you are using & the fish you are chasing. Personally I am happy with the results I get without having to worry about retying specific knots which I previously use to do.  Each to their own but I go fishing to catch a feed of fresh fish to eat so the simpler the better for me.  

Thanks for all the feedback guys, looks like it is more personal preference than a hard and fast rule. I might give them ago and see where I sit with them. Given how much I am changing lures over at the moment (in an effort to speed up my learning about what works best and where) I reckon they will be worth it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have always used snap swivels, barrel swivels or quick change lure clips from bread & butter fish to kingfish & tuna whether bait or lures. Can't be bothered with tying leaders to the main line etc & do not see the point or any advantage in doing this IMO. Does it make a difference with certain lures using a swivel or clip? I'm yet to be convinced. Even if the lure swims a bit skewif, fish will still grab it if hungry. Do you catch more fish with no swivels etc., well I only need a feed so I keep it as simple & easy as possible & am happy with my catches over the years. I just use the basic knots & have never had a failure. Just need to make sure your line is generally in good condition & you should not have a problem.

Same with fishing gear, simple & inexpensive. Plenty out there in the market place!!!!