Hi guys heading out to port gawler this weekend in the kayak and have a few questions.

Firstly does the mouth completely close at low tide.

And secondly I'm flicking lures for bream but was wondering what other by catch the area holds like flat head, salmon or if it's worth taking a bait rod as well for whiting or what not cheers guys

Dodge tide so not much of a low, 1.3m @ 1448ish Saturday. Just off the top of my head, i'd say you'll have plenty of water there to get about.

Definitely salmon but id suspect too cool now for flatties to still be around. My guess would be yfw have moved up the gulf and be a little early for winter kgw. Then it's always worth a go!

Recon i'd throw a few small squid jigs in the kit too.

My have been misleading there, i was suggesting the yfw have moved on..... well away from the metro area and right up the gulf, Pt Wakefield area etc.  So i wouldn't be targeting them around that area until maybe Oct. Poppers can still be super fun on salmon tho.

A great little yfw SP that has also caught me good kgw, flatties & salmon, is the Gulp Turtleback Worm in 'Camo', cut in half, on a 1-1.5g #4 jig head. Pretty well anything that eats worms will take it.

Last time I fished there which was a few months ago I saw 5 flathead caught in a couple of hours so yes you can get them there. Mullet are also about as are the salmon trout at the mouth.

Bream are there but not in the numbers they can be, but we still got a dozen or so.

We have been using small crab pattern soft plastics successfully or the ever popular Zman motor oil grubs lately, you just have to get them in under the mangroves and in the structure.

The mouth does dry up on a low tide but this weekend you might be able to get out and in ok. However I would stay in the creek as there are much better chances of getting a few in there than outside on the whiting

Good luck I hope you get a few

cheers

snapps

Cheers snaps just got back from the tackle store and they were the first two soft plastics I grabbed I guess great minds think alike lol. I figured that the crabs would go well as me and my gramps would use small crabs as bait in the mangroves in the port when I was a kid and the bream loved them. I hope there's a few flathead. Also I've heard a few school mully get picked up there is this true?

Great place to fish.  The couple of times I have fished there I have never been able to relax thinking about what might be happening to my car.

One point i didnt mention, it does have a bad rep for car theft, damage etc. Much to do with the type of folk attracted to the off road racing and to seem to enjoy behaving like lobotomised d***heads.

That said, middle of the day on a weekend would likely be the safest (?)! :unsure:

Yeah I was thinking that but I have a good alarm on the car and a good immobiliser. Plus a motor on the kayak and a insurance stick I should be able to make it back before they figure out how to get it started and take off. Plus it's insured so a new car wouldn't be all that bad 😜