Floating berley

i used to work at a fish farm, i bought about 200kg of floating fish pellets from there, the pellets are made up of fish meal, squid meal, tuna oil all minced into a pellet for, 7mm big. i have used it for gar and it works a treat, what else do you all think i could use them for or does anyone know how i could make these pellets sink as they dont break up very well but let of oil for hours.

I dont think you'll make the pellets sink, but what ya can do is buy a sinking burley bucket/bomb, and just put em in that. It's like a wire cage containing a lead weight, and it'll take em straight to the bottom. They're available at all good tacklestores for around the $25-35 dollar mark.

• 3 weeks later...

i have to agree with you ranger, bottom feeder will rarely come up to the top to feed or for berley.

I have to disagree with that because in shallow water 2-4 feet fly fisho's have been targeting whiting with surface poppers and having quite a bit of success. I have also caught them on my garfish rig at North Haven which I set at about 4 or 5 feet off the bottom.Cheers, Dave.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a tip for people that don't want to spend out on a berley bomb/bucket. Get a 2 Litre Bottle and put a heavy sinker in the bottom of it. Then put your berley into the bottle. Tie a rope to the top of the bottle after putting the lid on nice and tight. When you head out to use it, just stab some holes in the sides (not the bottom and not big enough to fit the sinker). It may sink slowly but it should work just as well :) It will slowly disperse the berley through the holes.