Sign in to follow this  
newtontoney

Low profile Baitcaster reels and braid .

I Have 6ft baitcaster rod (medium action), low profile baitcaster reel i still have to purchase , 1/8-1/4 ounce jig heads .... want to use braid....want to be able to cast the jig heads as far as poss (i know spin would be better for distance but i want to use baitcaster) what lb and what type of braid would be best  ? 

I Have 6ft baitcaster rod (medium action), low profile baitcaster reel i still have to purchase , 1/8-1/4 ounce jig heads .... want to use braid....want to be able to cast the jig heads as far as poss (i know spin would be better for distance but i want to use baitcaster) what lb and what type of braid would be best  ? 

The medium action rod is a good start. A reel with mag control is a good idea as well. I personally don't like using much less than 10lb braid on baitcasters, and I also prefer proper braid (rather than a fused line like Fireline, which I prefer for spinning reels).

I assume you're using some sort of sp with your jigheads. What size, as that can make a big difference in the overall casting weight and could affect your braid choice?

Also, have a look around online, I know that pro bass guys in the US often fish pretty light with baitcast setups. Not something I've ever done, but I've seen video and it's fairly impressive. If memory serves they use pretty whippy rods and a fast, snapping cast technique.

Just on bait casters - do you still get wind knots with one? Since it comes off the spool differently

I've never had it happen, or heard of it happening to anyone else.

Wind knots are usually caused when there's a loose loop of line on the spool. These often happen when the bail is flipped over before retrieving line.

The way the line goes onto a baitcaster you could still end up with some loose line if you're not careful, so I suppose it is a possibility.