Any good jerky recipes from our members?

I recently purchased a dehydrator to play around with. I just like making stuff myself, jerky and dried fruit sounded like something interesting to try out.

My first couple of batches of jerky turned out bloody delicious with the approval of my mate who is a regular jerky eater. I've only made a bbq flavoured marinade, then the same with a bit of chili.

Does anyone have a go to recipe or holy grail jerky recipe that they are willing to share?

I've made some jerky before using the oven and was quite nice.

I have considered buying a dehydrator, Harris Scarfes seems to have an ok one and is quite tempting when they put it on special @ $50.

I don't have any 'special' jerky recipe, in fact I don't have any, I just googled it to find something that sounded nice  :unsure:

But when you find the 'holy grail' of jerky recipes, I'll come around and help you eat it  :D

As a massive jerky fan, I have been contemplating purchasing a dehydrator for a while. I know you can do jerky in a very slow oven for an extended length of time, but the dehydrator option seems the go. In the interim, I purchase my weekly fix from Barossa Fine Foods.

While researching dehydrators, I found this:

http://www.eziconcepts.com.au/Recipes/EziDri/Jerky.aspx

Hope this may be helpful.

Cheers

af

I recently purchased a dehydrator to play around with. I just like making stuff myself, jerky and dried fruit sounded like something interesting to try out.

My first couple of batches of jerky turned out bloody delicious with the approval of my mate who is a regular jerky eater. I've only made a bbq flavoured marinade, then the same with a bit of chili.

Does anyone have a go to recipe or holy grail jerky recipe that they are willing to share?

Geez I haven't Even had a chance to try it...... Some mate  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I use half soy sauce and half Worcestershire sauce then add a heap of chilli, garlic and any other herbs and spices feel like at the time. Let if sit in the fridge for 24hrs or so (not too long though). It generally takes 4-6hrs to dehydrate depending on the thickness of the meat. Make sure you use meat with as little fat as possible, i tend to use a top side roast but have also used roo and venison.   

Thanks for that. Found 1 on ebay looks almost identical. Eurochef 7 trays 40bux delivered. Can't wait to try making some jerkey next week.

Nice one! I reckon there would be heaps of them out there. Now that I've seen what they are, I'm guessing they are just a heating element with a fan that blows the hot air around the vented trays. There are some deluxe models out there, I think they are maybe constructed of a longer lasting metal case with stainless wire trays. They seems to be the Rolls Royce models.

As a massive jerky fan, I have been contemplating purchasing a dehydrator for a while. I know you can do jerky in a very slow oven for an extended length of time, but the dehydrator option seems the go. In the interim, I purchase my weekly fix from Barossa Fine Foods.

While researching dehydrators, I found this:

http://www.eziconcepts.com.au/Recipes/EziDri/Jerky.aspx

Hope this may be helpful.

Cheers

af

Thanks AF, a few ingredients I haven't tried in there and couple of different styles I might try.

Geez I haven't Even had a chance to try it...... Some mate  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It doesn't last long enough to make it to ya, bloody Kenny ate half my last batch  :lol:

I use half soy sauce and half Worcestershire sauce then add a heap of chilli, garlic and any other herbs and spices feel like at the time. Let if sit in the fridge for 24hrs or so (not too long though). It generally takes 4-6hrs to dehydrate depending on the thickness of the meat. Make sure you use meat with as little fat as possible, i tend to use a top side roast but have also used roo and venison.   

Cheers stormboy, Pretty much the recipe I've been going by, also found out about top side being a nice cut. I bought some from the Central Markets in town for the last batch and it was perfect, good price too.

I found the secret to slicing it thin was to chuck it in the freezer for a short time just until it froze enough to toughen it up. This made life so much easier.

I've also heard when marinading that if you vacuum seal a bag or take as much of the air out of the marinade container or bag it will marinade a lot quicker. I've done that but still left it for 24 hours, damn tasty stuff!

Also, for those that don't have a dehydrator (or oven lol) and the above is wanting you to try it, you can use an electric fan.

just place the marinated strips of meat on a wire rack and point the fan at it all day or overnight.  

Just don't have the fan too close or on extra fast speed as you don't want the meat strips to fly up against the wall !!

Will also add that when you do find topside out cheap is to ask them to slice for you .

I will normally ask for around 2mm thick sometimes they have done it free but the most has been $1 per kg.

Don't forget that a smoker will also do a great job with added flavour.

I normally will do a batch of 2kg in the smoker and when I do find the cheap meat I will marinate into batches

and put into the really big ziplock bags and freeze really saves a lot of time and mess

• 1 month later...

Well with Fathers Day the other week, and with this jerky post put up and with Harris Scarfes having the Kitchen Couture dehydrator on sale at $49.95 (instead of the usual unbelievable ridiculous price of $199.95).

I thought the kids can get me one  :D

First effort, Cajun Beef Jerky and didn't turn out too bad, but have had better ones.

Used Corned Beef Silverside as already cured.

1/2 water

1/4 cup white vinegar

1/2 tsp garlic powder (didn't have any)

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp thyme (didn't have so used basil)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cajun hot powder (should be 1 tsp, but erred on side of caution)

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp pepper

IMG_20170909_094051601.jpg

IMG_20170909_095424934.jpg

IMG_20170909_162200413.jpg

• 10 months later...