Surf Rod Advice for a Rookie Surf Fisho

Howdy  ^_^

As it is my birthday tomorrow, I have been gifted a brand new reel: a Shimano Activecast 1080 surf spinning reel (im stoked  :rolleyes: )

I've also been given 100 bucks to spend so naturally I'm gonna be buying a nice new surf rod to go with the reel. I've never actually done any surf fishing but I would like to get off the jetties and onto the awesome beaches SA has to offer, and I have a great opportunity right in front of me.. I've researched into rods under 100 smackeroos and found a few that look to be good quality for the price the are at, I will list them below and if I could get some tips on what rods would be best of the three or if you know of an good quality rods for under 100 that have worked well for you or a mate ad would recommend them to a newbie that would be killa!!

So the rods I have in mind are:

Shimano Catana Coastline Light 1062, 10'6, a 2-piece with a lure rating of 7-21g and a line class of 3-5kg. I love the look of this one and it is bang on 100 bucks  ;)

Pflueger Salt Surf Spin, 10', another 2-piece and a 6-10kg line class. 70 bucks looks like a good deal to me..

Rovex Revenge, 10', 2-piece rod that is very nice to look at and a line class of 6-15kg for 99 shmackos

If ya'll could help me out here that would be much appreciated, cheers Noz  (y)

Depends on what you're looking to target. The Shimano rod is pretty light and would be good for mullet or yfw. The other two are much heavier and more like salmon/mulloway rods.

I'm not familiar with that reel, but it's always good to match them to the rod. Take it to the shop and try it on each of the rods you're interested in and see how they balance.

Shimano one does look like a  very light rating, particularly  if  you are planning on throwing baits into the surf, it may struggle with a big star sinker if its only rated for 21 g lures.

Id get whichever looks the most versatile

Also if you plan on throwing lures around the weight of the rod may be a factor, some surf rods can get pretty heavy in the hands after a while.

I just did a quick look up on the Reels and the going by the specs it will be suited more so for light beach work for salmon, mullet, yellowfin whiting etc going by the line capacity and line sizing. 

Anything from 9ft to 10-11ft will be ideal and something along the lines of an 3-5kg to 4-8kg rod will be ample. Most of these rods have a cast weight of up to around 40g max. So it would be ideal for throwing small metals at Salmon, but then will be able to throw an ounce of lead plus bait for the likes of mullet, bream whiting etc. 

Daiwa do a couple rods in that range and within that price range aswell. I Work in a Tackleshop if you are after a hand send me a PM and i can help you the best i can. 

Brayden

Daiwa do a couple rods in that range and within that price range aswell. I Work in a Tackleshop if you are after a hand send me a PM and i can help you the best i can. 

Brayden

Yeah check with Southie, Noz - he knows his stuff, helped me with a 11' foot Diawa Seabass and couldn't be happier with it.

Also, have a great birthday today mate :)

The Daiwa rods are great value, I have a Seabass as well and love it, but they're more like $150. Go in and see Southie, there are a few other Daiwa models that would be perfect and in your price range.

Thanks fellas, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make it down to your store Southie, I'm busy with school work and the drive might be a little long <_< 

The info you've given will help me out a lot, so thanks for that! I have been upgraded to $150 so I might be able to get a little more quality in the rod..

Appreciate the help lads, and cheers Doobie I had a good one :rolleyes: