HELP me Pickling Scallops

Pickling is done with vinegar, lemons or limes.

It's also a personal thing in that there are no hard and fast rules for what amount of vinegar to spices.

Personally I wouldn't do so a fine seafood as Scallops, nor any other seafood as I am not a fan of vinegar.

But if I were I would use cider vinegar say roughly 60%, white wine roughly 30% and the rest in lemon juice.

Then it's up to your own taste buds. Like it hot? Slice a chilli or two and throw into the mix with seeds and all, the longer you leave it the more kick you get.

Other ingredients include some or all of the following. Bay leaves, whole peppercorns, coriander root, lemon grass, ginger, palm sugar, ETC... and again, up to your taste buds, no set amount I can give you. This is where some chefs can't give you a written recipe as it's all about tasting as you go and adjusting.

You can put your raw scallops straight into the mix and leave till it's pickled (possibly overnight, possibly longer, size dependant.

You can kick start the whole process by warming the liquid to just below boil point then throw the scallops in.

As we spoke te other day Lindsay my fav was whilst out on the boat dice up fresh snapper or other firm flesh fish like queen fish, throw in lime juice with ground pepper and a few hot chillies. An hour later delicious, next day delicious with a bigger heat kick.

One thing I have never understood is why people like taking something as delicate and sweet as blue swimmer crab and subject it to pickling? All that vinegar destroys that delicate wonderful flavour

One thing I have never understood is why people like taking something as delicate and sweet as blue swimmer crab and subject it to pickling? All that vinegar destroys that delicate wonderful flavour

Could not agree more. Complement flavours when cooking or preparing food not destroy them.

@Panga, may as well cut circles out of stingray flaps and pickle them. :excited:

Sorry Panga I can't help with the Scallop question but,

Could not agree more. Complement flavours when cooking or preparing food not destroy them.

@Panga, may as well cut circles out of stingray flaps and pickle them. :excited:

we pickle what is left after pigging out on the ones we freshly caught. Might try freezing? instead? 

as for destroying the delicate and sweet crabs, I can't understand why people smother their food in things like chili and garlic, disgusting! Sorry, my opinion only 

i do love pickled seafoods.. tommie fillets and gar fillets where a favourite for us as kids.  scallops/razor fish.. hmmmm 

my step father always used a spiced vinegar mix,  think he actually bought it. then topped it up with a few extras such as chilli and garlic.. 

the good thing about food is.. we all like different flavours so its just a world of experiments!

Just wait going to get razor fish 4 bait burley and eating next week, I hope.

We got heaps of big Razor fish when helping my mate on his Oyster lease over at Smokey bay ,he got me to soak the razor fish hearts in tank water overnight , they double in size , then after sitting in salt water for an hour or 2 , then do the pickling . YUMMO

Just wait going to get razor fish 4 bait burley and eating next week, I hope.

We got heaps of big Razor fish when helping my mate on his Oyster lease over at Smokey bay ,he got me to soak the razor fish hearts in tank water overnight , they double in size , then after sitting in salt water for an hour or 2 , then do the pickling . YUMMO

Did someone say pickled razor fish🤗🤗🤗🤗

yummo was my favorite as a kid growing up.😆

Just wait going to get razor fish 4 bait burley and eating next week, I hope.

Yep soak in rain water, old trick used by some when selling in jars in pubs in Port Augusta when I was much younger. 

Sorry Panga I can't help with the Scallop question but,

we pickle what is left after pigging out on the ones we freshly caught. Might try freezing? instead?

as for destroying the delicate and sweet crabs, I can't understand why people smother their food in things like chili and garlic, disgusting! Sorry, my opinion only

Totally agree with you. Garlic and chilli is for all manner of other things where it tastes good.

Good quality seafood on the other hand needs little in the way of additives.

Fry in a little butter perhaps, maybe a drizzle of olive oil here and there, but not pickling, rich sauces ETC....

Better yet, try it raw! Nothing beats a super fresh piece of tuna sliced thinly and eaten as is. Yum

Just wait going to get razor fish 4 bait burley and eating next week, I hope.

I used to take a jar with some lime juice and chilli in it whilst out taking for crabs over Panga's way. Whilst taking and stepping in RF cut em open take the meat out throw in the jars and leave guts in the water. Keep walking a few hundred more metres getting crabs before turning around and getting twice the amount of crabs on the return trip feasting on the guts.

Time you get back to the car and load up you have a jar of scrumptious razor fish to mung out on👍

Hey Panga, used to scallop/razor-fish dive a lot around Pt Vincent when I was younger & we used to pickle `em in jars of white vinegar after boiling `em up. If you want to cook `em up in breadcrumbs or similar just leave `em on a saucer/plate out of the jar for a short period & then do whatever you want with `em as the vinegar dissipates a lot when they`re removed. The vinegar pickles `em & extends their shelf life to basically the life of the vinegar. Have had them in jars for over a year & good as gold. My favourite was to slice `em up & put on fresh bread with pepper on `em. Scallop/razor-fish sannies are UNREAL. Had my own hookah so we used to get more than you could eat at any one time, & by pickling them no need to refrigerate & they can be stored for long periods to be consumed long after the holidays were over. Same applies to crab meat, although I never seemed to have that many crabs accumulated that didn`t get eaten, put in jars & survived the holidays & the trip home.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Hello Jaffa, my husband and myself are holidaying in Coffin Bay and came across razor fish - which we have tried and found delicious. I noted, whilst searching the internet, that pickling is recommended but cannot find a detailed recipe on how to go about doing this. We would like to try and pickle a small jar for our daughter whom has recently discovered ‘foraging’ and creates amazing culinary things. We live in Sydney so no razor-fish there. Would you be happy to share the pickling liquor ratio of ingredients? It would be much appreciated. (We are here until the 20th of this month). Cheers Cinzia Bennett

Not doing anything fancy here like making the vinegar, we`re pickling/preserving scallops/razorfish the fast,easy, cheap way, eliminating the need for refrigeration. We usually had large numbers to take home after a month away & the caravan fridge was very small. You can buy white vinegar from Costco for under $3 for 5 litres. You can get rid of most of the vinegar taste by removing them from the jar/container & sitting them on paper towel for a few minutes. The paper towel absorbs a good deal of the vinegar & then we used to do whatever we liked with `em from there.

Cheers

Edited by jaffa
Omission