squidding help

hey guys and girls, new to fishing and forums. just went squidding with some friends today at lonny and then off of brighton jetty. I had a 3.5 squid jig on my set up but the whole time my line didnt tension. i would cast out, and give the jig time to drop, i would try to the slack out of the line but the line was all slack, i would reel in and flick the rod but still had no tension in my line. Now i am wondering what is the go from here, as this was the only squid jig i had i couldnt experiment much.

is the jig too heavy and sitting on the ocean bed? if so should i add a floater or buy a lighter jig? or is the jig too light so theres no tension because its like there is nothing on the end of the line? if so should i add a sinker to it or buy a heavier jig? looking to go squidding next weekend so some advice would go a longway.
thanks in advance legends.

intresting i use 3.5 gram jags out the boat sometimes in 4mtrs of water no issues.

if im fishing deeper and if the weather is playing up i will go heavier.

in saying this i use hand lines out the boat.

on the jetty i use a rod slow start and stop retrives with twichtes in between.

one time i threw out my jag and i was like why is it floating🤔🤔 lol on closer inspection the 3.5gram lead weight fell out😆😆

The only other thing to consider is water quality.

I had read/heard the water around Brighton was like 'mud' last week, so did the water look murky?  Saying that, water should preferably be clearer for a better chance.

Yesterday on the Pt Noarlunga jetty, the water 'ok' but not clear - no-one (and there quite a few trying) caught a squid that I saw.  However, on Sunday a few squid were caught.

Not a lot of weed around the Brighton Jetty these days, unless you were in the North Western corner of the 'T'.

I would say yesterday would have been quite busy down there and as a first time Squidder, you probably stayed away from the crowded end and stuck to the middle of the jetty....

This area is all sandy (not saying you cant catch squid here, just a fair lesser chance) which unless you know the area, you would never know due to the murky waters still.

I reckon you let excess line out and the jag was sitting on the sandy bottom in yesterdays case.

If you've got half an hour spare, this video was what I watched when I first started squidding - Yamashita Squid Fishing Techniques with Taiki Natsume Yamashita Squid Jigging Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swl5JfD4yvg

Taiki describes all the variables to consider for squid fishing, water conditions, tides, time of day, light conditions etc. You'll learn almost everything you need to know with this one video. Changing up your action to suit the activity level makes a big difference for me (landbased), with a more rapid action when the squid are firing, and a lazy flick with the rod tip every 10-15 seconds when they're quiet.

Winds and currents not lining up can be a problem, and it's definitely easiest to feel the slack on the line when the current and the wind is running away from you, putting tension on the line. I've had days at Brighton jetty and Rapid Bay with wind and current running in opposite directions, and the best solution for me was to throw on a deep diving jig, like this 30g deep diving jig:

HkefOfe.jpg

These suckers sinks like a stone so they're great for fast-moving currents, when 3.5 weight jigs or less will take foreeeeeeever to get to the bottom. They're especially good for fast action jigging.

Anyways, I could keep writing different pointers about weeds, jig colour etc all night, or you could just watch the video, and Taiki knows a lot more than me!  :)

PS. Buy some Breaden squid snaps off ebay, about $10 a pack. By a mile the best snap for squid jigs, and saves you heaps of time changing jigs over.

Up here on yorks the guys working the jetties that are serious about a feed get up real early and hit the water just before sunrise.

Most of them use a teaser, which is basically a tommy rough on the end of a line dangling under a float (good to tie some thin copper wire around the tommy to stop it getting destroyed too much), there are NO hooks on the tommy.

You have a few of these cast out at intervals and have a squid jig on a handline ready.

When you see your float with the teaser on it get pulled under the water you know you have a squid hanging around, then you get your jig ready and slowly pull in your teaser with the squid hanging on. Once you get close enough you toss your jig in the water as close as you can to your teaser and the with your other hand quickly pull in your teaser, the squid drops off the teaser and latches onto the closest thing, your squid jig. Drop the teaser line and then start hauling in your squid on the jig.

You might think it's a lot of mucking around but it works and works well. Most of the ink you see on the jetties is from the early morning squidders who have already gone home cleaning their bagged out catch.

Hope this helps