I started with street directories, but modern technology is amazing

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/South+Australia/@-31.746348,125.9926401,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6aa7589e5be8c7f3:0xdb7e79993dfad0d8!8m2!3d-30.0002315!4d136.2091547

I wrote a post a long time ago on here about doing your own legwork to find freshwater spots. I don't have the patience right now to sit down and search through pages of my own posts, but that search button up in the top right hand corner of the page will net you plenty of spots with the most basic of searches.

The other bonus to going out and exploring is that you get to know the look of areas and you can pick spots up just by looking at posts other people make, if they are kind enough to include photos in reports.

Also any spot that has Redfin will have "Good" fish. Spots that are not heavily fished will have a better ratio of good fish to small fish. Heavily pressured spots (read Easy and well known spots) will have huge numbers of small fish (<20cm) to every good fish (>35cm). As you can imagine, spots that hold high numbers of "Good" fish are not the spots that are generally shared openly and regularly on public forums. Spots like St. Clair, for example, now the word is out, will see diminishing returns of Good fish, and increasing captures of smaller fish and I wouldn't mind betting within the next two years it will be a wasteland of palm sized redfin with very few bigger fish.

I'm not having a go at anyone or anything, Just some points to keep in mind when it comes to asking for spots, and freshwater fishing in general.

I started with street directories, but modern technology is amazing

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/South+Australia/@-31.746348,125.9926401,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6aa7589e5be8c7f3:0xdb7e79993dfad0d8!8m2!3d-30.0002315!4d136.2091547

I wrote a post a long time ago on here about doing your own legwork to find freshwater spots. I don't have the patience right now to sit down and search through pages of my own posts, but that search button up in the top right hand corner of the page will net you plenty of spots with the most basic of searches.

The other bonus to going out and exploring is that you get to know the look of areas and you can pick spots up just by looking at posts other people make, if they are kind enough to include photos in reports.

Also any spot that has Redfin will have "Good" fish. Spots that are not heavily fished will have a better ratio of good fish to small fish. Heavily pressured spots (read Easy and well known spots) will have huge numbers of small fish (<20cm) to every good fish (>35cm). As you can imagine, spots that hold high numbers of "Good" fish are not the spots that are generally shared openly and regularly on public forums. Spots like St. Clair, for example, now the word is out, will see diminishing returns of Good fish, and increasing captures of smaller fish and I wouldn't mind betting within the next two years it will be a wasteland of palm sized redfin with very few bigger fish.

I'm not having a go at anyone or anything, Just some points to keep in mind when it comes to asking for spots, and freshwater fishing in general.

hey champ are you aware how the reddies get in St clair?

lol fish it all u want they wont be dissapering .

No I have no idea how they got there, it's nowhere near my local stomping grounds and I've never fished there myself. Either in the water (eggs or young fish) they used to fill it, or translocated would be my guess.

That's what I'm saying though, there will always be reddies in St clair, but the more pressure it receives, the smaller the fish get. Thought it was worth pointing out since Nick specifically asked for a location to get good size fish.

Bushland Park is a great example of this. Being a local lake for me, I've watched the fishing pressure ramp up on it over the last 20years. It went through a huge change about 3-4years ago where the population of bigger fish went from being 50\50 with smaller fish, to almost none in the period of one summer. Still heaps of redfin there for sure, just that almost all of them are around the 15-20cm mark

i here ya bud.

eggs are how it all started in St Clair.

rumor has it they where not put there by people. with constant egg hatchlings and bigger reddies being added by idiots all the time i cant see any issues.

remember there a pest😀

the only way they will get really small/non existent is if the council decides to clean it out. but even then those eggs will keep showing up.

solid reddies are still caught in st clair today

great fun😎

i here ya bud.

rumor has it they where not put there by people. with constant egg hatchlings and bigger reddies being added by idiots all the time i cant see any issues.

remember there a pest

the only way they will get really small/non existent is if the council decides to clean it out. but even then those eggs will keep showing up.

great fun

I know for a fact that there's people catching 10 in an hour, but returning them because the water they live in probably isn't awesome so many don't wanna eat them.. Like you said, still plenty of biggens and will be a good spot for a while because they breed quickly and the council is unlikely to attempt clearing them out. For now, they're an excellent source of fun  :P

i here ya bud.

remember there a pest

great fun

I know for a fact that there's people catching 10 in an hour, but returning them because the water they live in probably isn't awesome so many don't wanna eat them.. Like you said, still plenty of biggens and will be a good spot for a while because they breed quickly and the council is unlikely to attempt clearing them out. For now, they're an excellent source of fun :P

i hope there not throwing them back lol

i here ya bud.

remember there a pest

great fun

I know for a fact that there's people catching 10 in an hour, but returning them because the water they live in probably isn't awesome so many don't wanna eat them.. Like you said, still plenty of biggens and will be a good spot for a while because they breed quickly and the council is unlikely to attempt clearing them out. For now, they're an excellent source of fun :P

i hope there not throwing them back lol

A lot of people do throw them back mate, and they don't take warnings about the fines very seriously..

I think the issue with Redfin populations in pressured fisheries is that the bigger fish get taken out of the system.

Redfin can breed by the time they are 12cm, and I wouldnt mind guessing that they get from egg size to 12cm faster than they get from 12cm to say, 30cm (a size I would consider a Redfin would need to be to regularly prey on smaller Redfin).

I have nothing against guys who are catching and killing, as long as they apply it to every size fish they catch. Catch and release (yes it is illegal) has no overall impact on size and population, would probably work better if small to mid size fish were killed and bigger fish release.

The biggest cause of problem with Redfin populations (in my uneducated opinion), is the removal of the bigger fish completely. This removes basically the only predators in the system that will actively prey on the smaller Redfin, but also lowers the bar for the maximum size fish will attain. Without the big fish culling the numbers of fry, more survive, and the population explodes, leading to a huge number of fishing stunting at around 20cm due to over competition for food.

People who are fishing for a feed of redfin (not all, but it only takes a few), are probably more likely to throw those small fish back while keeping the bigger edible ones, and this starts the chain reaction going. As I said, I've seen it happen before in bushland Park.

Sorry for the novel, but that all ties back to my advice for Nick, if he is chasing bigger Redfin, less well known, and less pressured spots are the way to go. Or get in early at a new spot (like St clair), before the population crashes into stunted sizes.

Like I said, not judging anyone on their choice of what to do with a Redfin they catch, but a moments pause as to what effect it will have on the established ecosystem can't be a bad thing right?

spot on booma it would work really well if the big ones had to be released and little ones not.

in saying that... its illegal to release them same as carp lol. everything is becoming illegal in this state. soon ill get arrested for farting in public😂😂😂 gee wizz id be a repeat offender😂😂