Calls to ban sea nets after thousands of dead fish found dumped off Ardrossan jetty

Most would know about this topic and most would have seen the article. Have you voted 'YES' or 'NO' to the call to ban sea nets in the Gulf of St Vincent? You can find the poll on the article page and also view the results.

Article from The Advertiser (not sure how it will paste) Link to original article - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/calls-to-ban-sea-nets-after-thousands-of-dead-fish-found-dumped-off-ardrossan-jetty/news-story/2050a17b1edbc66de3a7865ad065b81d

Calls to ban sea nets after thousands of dead fish found dumped off Ardrossan jetty

CRAIG COOK, The Advertiser

October 11, 2017 7:01pm

THOUSANDS of dead fish dumped by the BHP jetty at Ardrossan have caused outrage among recreational fishermen.

The Advertiser has been told the catch of around 400kg of Australian salmon was released by a commercial fisherman based at Stansbury when his nets snagged on the jetty.

Danny Simpson, executive director of Recfish SA, that took video of the dead fish lying in shallows, said his members “strongly condemn” the dumping.

”He appears to have dumped them there and just disappeared which we regard as a pretty irresponsible act.” he said.

“From our perspective this is outrageous behaviour and why we want to see sea nets removed from Gulf St Vincent.”

He questioned why the fisherman was netting so close to shore.

“We want to know why he was apparently netting in front of the jetty of a major Yorke Peninsula township,” he added.

Still grab of part of the huge fish catch seen at the bottom of the Ardossan Jetty.

The Marine Fishers Association (MFA), representing the interests of South Australia’s 300 Marine Scalefish Fishery (MSF) statutory licence holders, said one of its members was responsible for the dumping.

MFA executive officer, Nathan Bicknell, said in a Facebook statement that “gear failure” and the operator’s decision to “operate outside industry norms” were to blame.

Clarifying the statement, Mr Bicknell told The Advertiser: “The operator’s decision was to keep his whole catch and that’s how he got himself into mischief.

“There’s nothing illegal in what he did but there is strong peer pressure to do the right thing.”

Chief executive of Yorke Peninsula Council, Andrew Cameron, who lives in Ardrossan said he was seeking more information from staff in the town but was “extremely disappointed” with such “irresponsible behaviour”.

RecSA member David Bryant posted on Facebook:

“Absolutely disgusting, remove his netting license, problem solved, total disregard for our marine life and local fishers. This behavior (sic) is way too common from netters. I call to ban all netting in any areas close and around our gulfs. Absolutely horrified”

Tragic waste ... around 400kg of prized Australian salmon, similar to the one above, was released by a commercial fisherman when his nets snagged on the jetty.

A statement from the Department of Primary Industries and Regions said: “PIRSA received reports regarding a significant number of dead Western Australian salmon near the southern Ardrossan jetty on Monday and dispatched fisheries officers to the area to make inquiries to determine the cause and circumstances.

“The commercial fisher responsible subsequently identified himself and has assisted fisheries officers with their inquiries.

“Based on the available information, it appears that a combination of gear failure and poor fishing practices resulted in the unintended release of part of a school of salmon caught by the fisher about 300 metres from the BHP jetty.

“We understand the fisher initially unsuccessfully attempted to retrieve all of the released fish and has since returned to the area to collect what fish he can.

“Although a rare occurrence, PIRSA is none the less disappointed with this incident and will continue to work closely with industry to ensure all fishers adopt best practice commercial fishing operations in SA.”

Pasani.he is the dog in this gulf.

all the other netters are getting older .and how would you get a feed of fish from the pub or resturaunt if they are all banned.wich will never happen for a long long time.and the fishing was heaps better in 80's and 90's And there was a 100 plus net licences and now there is only 40 and millions of recos.do the math dont go blaming all netters for one idiots actions

Ban netting and long lines in the gulf full stop ................................PIRSA is doing nothing ...............HOW HARD IS IT TO GET A FISH THESE DAYS ...........................................................if you are lucky .............sad times ......for SA FISHOS .........its not all about the salmon getting dumped ......its the control ...........and NONE ........for the locals ,who would like to take the family ,and catch some fish ,The SA ........fishing gurus .....money hungry .......END.

Think of the FUTURE PIRSA .............................?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah, true Jayman, we shouldn't blame all netters for the sake of a few idiots.

And for those few idiots they 'generally' get off with a slapped wrist, which is no deterrent to them doing something wrong again or for those others to keep trying to get away with doing wrong.

Don't know if you all know there is a family of them and I will get more concrete info in the next 2 days. 1 pro's father told me many excuses that were expressed. EG shark attacked net :blink:  :excited: and too heavy and when released they were too stressed out and died, another was caught on the jetty (well as the pro said you are NOT allowed to need near the jetty (commercial, not GP jetty)

But one thing is known he had a huge haul and got greedy thus dumping what could not be carted away. 

BB send me an interesting email of old man Bart Pa.... Made me add 1 & 1 together and still came to the same answer.

My opinion is # 2 son took the blame and cleaned up "some of the mess" to avoid # 2 son loosing his licence. IMO

More to come.

all the other netters are getting older .and how would you get a feed of fish from the pub or resturaunt if they are all banned.wich will never happen for a long long time.and the fishing was heaps better in 80's and 90's And there was a 100 plus net licences and now there is only 40 and millions of recos.do the math dont go blaming all netters for one idiots actions

I agree to an extent because I see them regularly working in 2's and twice in 3's with the netter that joined ranks from Pt Wakefield.  

There is not that goes on around this town that gets missed. People know if I am wearing  jock's or not and the colour

I agree to an extent because I see them regularly working in 2's and twice in 3's with the netter that joined ranks from Pt Wakefield.

There is not that goes on around this town that gets missed. People know if I am wearing jock's or not and the colour

and the word is tonight panga is wearing pink jocks😆🤑

Just a word please (or several).

Some time back I decided to no longer be involved in the politics of fishing in SA - but this current situation is a step too far.

This issue is not between recs and pro's. It's about Govt policy and PIRSA's implementation of that policy.

It's really about what's best for everyone involved and (primarily) for the SA fishery itself.

I'm absolutely certain that there are pro's who are just as concerned about the future of the SA fishery as any rec fisher - probably even more so. There are also some pro's who will take advantage of any opportunity to legally make a large profit from this public resource. Nothing wrong with that either - provided the focus is on the long term well-being of the SA fishery itself.

We seem to have run off the rails a bit lately though because the fishery is undoubtedly suffering, and the finger of blame is being pointed in every direction. Talk of blanket bans for pro's and over extraction by recs is counter productive unless there is a clear understanding of the fishery itself, and of each sector.

We are chasing around at the grassroots level and demanding that each other give way. But there are organisations in place on both sides - and with PIRSA in the middle - who have taken on the responsibility of representing their own sector's interests. It seems pretty clear that it is the management level of these organisations who need to be currently taking the lead - in conjunction with PIRSA - to get together and establish some form of agreement. If possible. Even if an agreement is not possible, the reasons why should be clearly defined, and the problems that need to be addressed should be clearly documented for immediate action. This should be a PIRSA responsibility, and should be expected to lead to political intervention at PIRSA's own initiative.

The current emotive environment is not helped by errant fishers (on either side) who have added to the fire through selfish activities, and is being further fueled by aggressive personal interactions on social media - which by themselves cannot possibly achieve a lasting solution.

If everyone truly holds the future of the SA fishery above all else, there is no good reason for the continued "them and us" environment that currently exists within fisheries management in SA, and has for many years. With a fundamental belief in the long term well-being of the SA fishery as the only focus, the logical next step would be for PIRSA to call a summit at the management level of each sector and to then (if necessary) take the outcome of that summit to the political level and sort this out. 

Please note that I'm not making any distinction between RFSA and SAFA as legitimate representatives of rec fishing in SA. Each have their own following, each has a right to be heard.

My 2 bob's worth - thanks for your time. My opinion, and I could be wrong.

RJ

well said rj

id like to see less nets in our gulf but not completely removed. imagine remove all the nets and fish in the shop will sky rocket in price. as doobie said eralier they dont all do the wrong thing so lets not punish them all.

howevet less nets to preserve our marine life would be a great step forward.

longlines can stay as i like driving my boat next to them and stealing there gps marks😂😂😂😂 lol.

bratko bratko bro lol im still not onside with a rec license. tell me boss how this will slow down the pros?

either way its all political rubbish. 😆

We really are the arse end of the world lol go to Victoria and check out their rec fishing situation...you will see the light my friend...SIMPLE...licence means we are unified and vote as one... Then they will have to listen and our voice is heard...made me proud to pay the rec fishn licence fee over there...means I'm contributing to our fishn future and not just taking out...every fishn shop in SA wants a rec licence introduced so whose the dumbo fellas...grow up and change...or remain the same and watch it all slowly but surely perish as is the situation now...we have to make a difference instead of talkn shit...viva LA revolution...and for you fellas that don't want a licence introduced...lol...I live for the day you have to pay for one...its the right thing...not the wrong thing as you bananas think...GROW UP

We really are the arse end of the world lol go to Victoria and check out their rec fishing situation...you will see the light my friend...SIMPLE...licence means we are unified and vote as one... Then they will have to listen and our voice is heard...made me proud to pay the rec fishn licence fee over there...means I'm contributing to our fishn future and not just taking out...every fishn shop in SA wants a rec licence introduced so whose the dumbo fellas...grow up and change...or remain the same and watch it all slowly but surely perish as is the situation now...we have to make a difference instead of talkn shit...viva LA revolution...and for you fellas that don't want a licence introduced...lol...I live for the day you have to pay for one...its the right thing...not the wrong thing as you bananas think...GROW UP

Wow after all that you still didn't answer the question lol.

i need to grow up?? why?? because i dont want a rec Fishing license??

bratko we live in a nanny state why make it worse?

I tend to agree with Bratko, to a certain extent. 

I grew up at Rye on the mornington peninsula in Victoria, grandpa was a pro fisher and we never not had fish on the table.  Fast forward 20 plus years (1980`s) parts of Port Phillip Bay were deserts.  Subsequently pro licence buy back and a bit later, the introduction of amateur licensing. Revenue from the licencing went toward further buy backs, enforcement and research.  The result is the bay is starting to be a productive rec fishing area. Licence exemptions for Seniors, Pensioners and other specified individuals.

Now recent time.  Recently returned from a trip to WA, able to fish marine waters from land without the need for a licence, but if you fish from a boat, or use a boat to get to a fishing spot, or to transport your catch you need a licence $17, You want to go inland fishing another $17 thank you oh you want to catch lobster another $17 and if you want to use nets (large ones) another $17.  no  senior or pensioner discounts other specified individuals are exempt.  I purchased a licence for six weeks of fishing.

The point I am trying to make, is we need to find a happy medium, somewhere between The Victorian model and the  WA one.  by the way I am a pensioner and don`t see a fee of $15 to $20 per year as been over the top! But I would like to see results for my fees.

With regards to all

Wal

"why make it worse"????....cmon man wheres your heart...you and Doobs should go fishn together bratko....go and ask Bruce from Ray&Annes if we need a rec license....go and ask Kosta from The Fishing Scene if we need one...go and ask James from Fishing Wholesalers...go and ask any fishing shop owner if we need one...our opinions don't matter fellas....only the sustainability of our fisheries does...like I said bratko...grow up...