Calls to ban sea nets after thousands of dead fish found dumped off Ardrossan jetty

First we need an organisation looking after our interests that can be trusted to actually do the job. The present mob only see the licence as a way to bigger pay cheques for themselves. Yes, Victoria has shown it can be done well given the right management. Personally the cost does not concern me as I am exempt under the Victorian model, my major concern is that we need a major shake up of the system in SA BEFORE a licence is implemented.

change....change is whats needed across the board 1000000%...without change our fishing has no future...that old saying..."its just a job" is bullshit

We are getting off the topic imo but here is my say.

We do need change, yes  but in SA that is a slow process and not at all realistic let alone guaranteed. IMO

We all need to discussed opions here but we need to do it with respect to others as we are all amateur fisho's with a common interest.

Sure we have different views but no need the attack fellow members. Not a good look IMO.

In Vic they have a fishing show on tv that I have seen from time to time, in SA not so and the reason is we do not have population to warrant it, nor the backing from the government (they are closing ch 44)

I feel more polies should get out fishing and realize that they can, relax, clear their heads and see what life has to offer on the wet H20. 

Licence  ?  Yes and No  ?

Yes if it helps us, the regular rec fisherperson and makes us heard but we see where our money is spent. Also have a body in the govt that is pro-active for us all and is accountable to all question to stakeholders (us) be that where monies are spent and visions moving on. 

No because I (imo) do not trust this govt as they could see the money spent elsewhere. Also what about the mums and dads that go away with the grand parents, children, cousin's and so on for a seaside holiday ? They need a licence or face a fine, remember this is a once in a year trip. That makes it great for the government but what about the family and if they get caught without a licence ? Holiday over and sowed but something they were not aware they need.

Cheers

PS  KS and Doobie you can come over for a fish on my boat, it is big enough.

In theory the blanket banning of nets and any other types of commercial fishing sounds really good..... for rec fisherman.  Hell, I'm sure the fishing would even be better for me at my favourite spots if other recs were banned from them too....except for me of course!

But without commercial fisherman I'm not sure how anyone who isn't a rec fisher will get to eat fresh, local fish?  Perhaps everyone else, but us, will be happy to eat the imported stuff....?

In all seriousness what is needed is a pragmatic approach to share the resource between the commercial sector, and recreational fishers.  As alluded by RJ, infighting, emotive shit slinging and finger pointing between recs and pro's isn't working and won't improve the situation long term for either group in my humble opinion.

Relax fellas, I believe SAFA and Recfish Central have it all under control !!

I mean SAFA last updated their website in 2015, and with their strong social media presence, large membership numbers, and how much they have already done, clearly things are looking up .

Add Recfish Central's inspiring u tube videos coercing Politian's to listen to the 240'000 rec's in south Australia and the Snapper will have no choice but just jump into my boat this summer..

In theory the blanket banning of nets and any other types of commercial fishing sounds really good..... for rec fisherman.  Hell, I'm sure the fishing would even be better for me at my favourite spots if other recs were banned from them too....except for me of course!

But without commercial fisherman I'm not sure how anyone who isn't a rec fisher will get to eat fresh, local fish?  Perhaps everyone else, but us, will be happy to eat the imported stuff....?

In all seriousness what is needed is a pragmatic approach to share the resource between the commercial sector, and recreational fishers.  As alluded by RJ, infighting, emotive shit slinging and finger pointing between recs and pro's isn't working and won't improve the situation long term for either group in my humble opinion.

Correct, but we do need to weed out the bad apples and follow the law and prosecute them and it appears to be one family over here on Yorks sad to say. They got driven out of the other gulf 6 months ago. So lets move on and see where this journey takes us and work together.  

I still say ban all nets, long lining & crabbers in our gulfs. Both need to recover for 1 year, 2 years, more?..I don't know that answer. Can we not get our fresh fish from WA or Pt Lincoln or the top end for example? Maybe not?. Surely it is extremely obvious that fish stocks in the gulfs are heavily depleted so why keep pussy footing around & act immediately. Too much talk & very little action for a long time now. Although SAFA & Recfish are constantly pushing the issue, there is still no resolve to the matter. It just seems that nothing will be done until it is too late or maybe not even then. 

Resources in this state have just totally been stuffed up over the years & this matter is no different.

.....just something further:

I for one have changed my fishing habits. No longer do I sit for hours on end chasing Snapper for example. If I don't catch my target fish after a certain time according to my records, solunar tables & other methods, then I move on to target another species & so on. At the moment I am still able to get a feed on most occasions but it certainly is not like it was many years ago. I to like eating fresh fish rather than buying. People who do not fish, well, unfortunately they have to buy, but surely we can still have fresh fish caught in our country available to buy can't we?.

I still say ban all nets, long lining & crabbers in our gulfs. Both need to recover for 1 year, 2 years, more?..I don't know that answer. Can we not get our fresh fish from WA or Pt Lincoln or the top end for example? Maybe not?. Surely it is extremely obvious that fish stocks in the gulfs are heavily depleted so why keep pussy footing around & act immediately. Too much talk & very little action for a long time now. Although SAFA & Recfish are constantly pushing the issue, there is still no resolve to the matter. It just seems that nothing will be done until it is too late or maybe not even then. 

Resources in this state have just totally been stuffed up over the years & this matter is no different.

I like your thinking, but I'm curious to understand whether rec fisherman think they are part of the problem too?

I mean, if rec fisherman are really really concerned about fish stocks and them being depleted, why dont they stop trying to catch fish too?

I just take the simplistic view, that no matter whose taking the fish, and no matter how many you're taking, so long as you're taking them your not helping fish stocks either. Perhaps people see it differently than I do?

I guess my point is that there's good merit in your suggestion, but if we really want fish stocks to recover and recover quickly then perhaps recs and the commercial guys should leave them alone?

All good points of view in a proactive opinion. I myself normally do not bag out as why. Fish do not taste the same when frozen for 2 months or so. and crabs are good for 3 days (got 14 today raking) Snapper I like the 60cm size and only 2, once I have 2 I come in as I have ticked the box. I feel go catch what you need and enjoy the journey so you forward for the next time. I am fortunate that the wet stuff is right there.

Changing the subject.....HUGE schools of SALMON are close to shore atm here, magic site as I saw them from the balcony and while raking. Spun me out.

I like your thinking, but I'm curious to understand whether rec fisherman think they are part of the problem too?

I mean, if rec fisherman are really really concerned about fish stocks and them being depleted, why dont they stop trying to catch fish too?

I just take the simplistic view, that no matter whose taking the fish, and no matter how many you're taking, so long as you're taking them your not helping fish stocks either. Perhaps people see it differently than I do?

I guess my point is that there's good merit in your suggestion, but if we really want fish stocks to recover and recover quickly then perhaps recs and the commercial guys should leave them alone?

I think the recs are doing their bit with reduced bag limits but the pro's don't get to join the sacrifice, in fact with the latest changes to crabs the recs had reduced limits and the pros were allocated more.

I'd agree that nets and long lines should be banned in at least St Vincents gulf,its actually a very small body of water and if the commercials can stuff up Spencer gulf like they have its only a matter of time before St vincents rooted.As for Pirsa fixing anything i have very serious doubts that is possible,i think the incompetance and arrogance towards the rec sector  is astounding and i wouldn't trust them to run a chook raffle unless there are some wholesale changes.

What does give me some heart is perhaps we can bypass the duds at Pirsa if we can get Rural councils like Tumby ,Pt Broughton etc to ban netting in their surrounding

waters,any local council knows how much money the rec sector/tourists can bring into a town and if we can get them onboard then half the battle is won.REC fishing is a billion dollar industry better the small towns on Yorkes/West coast get some of that than a few million going into some greedy pros wallet who may or may not even live in the district

cheers b

What does give me some heart is perhaps we can bypass the duds at Pirsa if we can get Rural councils like Tumby ,Pt Broughton etc to ban netting in their surrounding

waters,any local council knows how much money the rec sector/tourists can bring into a town and if we can get them onboard then half the battle is won.

cheers b

That sounds great, but I don't think local Councils have any jurisdiction beyond the high water mark, and any regulation would need to be implemented by a Govt Department and/or legislated by politicians? (ie - via the existing Fisheries management system).

For whatever reason, I don't think that anything has been done to bring the representatives of each sector together and attempt to come up with a solution, even though that may be the only way this can be resolved without years of ongoing dispute - during which time the fishery will continue to suffer (ie business as usual).

But it may be that SA's fisheries management system is FUBAR and incapable of undertaking this type of initiative (PIRSA?). 

If the management system proves itself unable to cope, I think this really should be the top political issue for the fishing community of SA (rec and pro), because a review and rebuild of SA's dysfunctional(?) Fisheries management system would be much more important than anything else. The issue of netting in GSV might be the final straw to expose a failed system and force a review at the political level - and everyone (including the fishery itself) might actually gain something from this dispute.

2 bob's worth.

Cheers,

RJ

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 1:40 PM, Jay R said:

Relax fellas, I believe SAFA and Recfish Central have it all under control !!

I mean SAFA last updated their website in 2015, and with their strong social media presence, large membership numbers, and how much they have already done, clearly things are looking up .

Add Recfish Central's inspiring u tube videos coercing Politian's to listen to the 240'000 rec's in south Australia and the Snapper will have no choice but just jump into my boat this summer..

Gee, and what have you done except whine and criticize? We have done far more submissions and media releases than the peak body. With a weekly reach of 70,000, it's not a bad result for those working as volunteers. Yes, the website has been hacked, on purpose by the way and this is being addressed, but we have many portals for discussion. Right now, there is no doubt that if SAFA and RecFish Central had not pushed issues hard, nothing would be on the table towards the election. We didn't see anybody else present to the Natural Resources committee ? Slanging off at those working their guts out to make a difference ?  Good on you !

Wow, finger on the pulse you have, only took you a month to reply on such a hot topic.

A reach of 70,000!! your kidding your self mate. Even if true, that's still only 3% of our states population.

I bet if I stood at a pontoon on any given Saturday and asked 20 people launching a boat if they know who SAFA or RecFish Central are, Id get 19 blank looks. My bet is the one person that may know of you , would then admit they don't know of anything you guys have achieved for the greater good of Rec's. But hey, at least your trying right?

As for slagging off at others? Your the one that does it the best, all you do is sling shit at others, Recfish, PIRSA, the Pro's...except they have all actually achieved something.

The election is coming up and I will be proven right, it's a sure bet that fishing politics wont have any say in the outcome.

Il be sure to keep a look out tho....