Will depend on what stage of the tide it is as to where they will be

They can be in the main channel, on the flats or sitting against the weed

Do your self a favour and take a pack or two of gulp turtlenecks worms as back up

They have preferred the plastics over the poppers the last few seasons

I was out there a week and a half ago and there were loads around but all still a bit small

Goodluck and let us know how you go mate

Coming into the dodge is not a scenario im familiar with. There will be more water around than im used to fishing so it will be a matter of where you can get to. I'm know to wade out as far as i can, often around 2km when the tides permit! I prefer low tides around 0.8-0.4m and the chase the yfw on the incoming.

1.6 High and 1.4 low, water @17deg ....id be wearing waders and go for a wander, sussing out the structure on the way. Kinda hard to tell with that much water.

1.4 low will make it hard

For example late last season I fished a .8 low

Water was above my waste out past the mud channels and fished the edge of the mud/ weed to where the sand starts

We picked up a dozen between two of us all fat 40cm + fish but all on turtlebacks

1.4 low will be too high for the poppers

Not fished this beach nor that gulf very much but up here in upper spencer gulf, if you fish creek mouths on the outgoing tide it is almost unfair using poppers, only fishing in about 40cm of water, anything higher than half a metre is no good. Haven't had much success on sand flats, I have found you need some kind of structure to find they hungry fish. Walk-the-dog lures when its calm and poppers when there is some blow.

I was at Thompson's Beach during the week and walked right out to the channels that lead out through the weed beds, got out there maybe an hour before low tide (on quite a low tide). Walking through a couple of deeper bommies on the way out I was in the water up to just below the nether regions, and could see some healthy schools of juvenile YFWs swimming around. I decided to make it a bait-free day, and my clear Daiwa double clutch 65 and Bassday Sugadeep were doing the damage in less than knee-deep water, and I reeled in a very fat mullet, a couple of salmon trout, one 40ish cm YFW, and I put back lots of juvenile YFW as well. The darker opaque lures were receiving sideways glances and being ignored ignored in the crystal clear water, so I'd recommend going for clear lures if you want to try hardbody lures. I also threw out a couple of surface lures, a Lucky Craft NW Pencil and another generic clear and pink popper, and didnt get a sniff.

I have to say, I usually blow half my bloodworm bait on puffer fish out there, and it seemed like the hardbody lures were hooking up a better quality fish than I usually do on bait, so I'll definitely be heading out there for another crack very soon.