How to clean/set shark jaws ....???

You can either boil the jaw's and the meat will fall off them, when you take them out the water hold the jaw's open with a stick or something other wise they will stay closed, or leave them out side for the ant's to eat meat off but that a long and smelly process.

yeh thats spot on.

That would have been a effort for the dog to poop them out haha

hahahaha

hay man dnt boil them a mate caught a 10ft bronz at stenhouse!!! he boiled em and lost teeth tha tripper!!!!!i use a razor blade mate!! bkaz then u can get dwn to every last part of em hay!!!!!then put em out side IN THA SHADE!!, 4 tha ants 2 finish em off!! make sure ya open em good and put a crate over tha top so cat/dog dnt get 2 em!!!thanx lloyd

How would you go if you softened the flesh in hot water, maybe 80 deg instead of boiling which is 100 deg, then with one of those fine brass wire brushes you gan get from a hardware or $2 shop and then flick off the flesh that way, it has to be a lot better than scraping with a razor bladeGood Luck, let us know how you fared

wish i read this before i tried to clean my set of jaws. I just chucked a whole 3 foot bronzey head on our ant hill but the sun baked it and i was left with a mummified shark head. I then took to it with my trusty blade, which took forever, and then thought,"oh well ill just soak it in some hot water to loosen up the jaw's ligaments." Bad move huh, as soon as the water from the kettle hit it the kitchen erupted in the worst smelling pong you could imagine! Then the jaws went soft and the top fell from the bottom.I was spewing as this was my first landbased shark, and i may have ruined the jaws. they are outside again in an ice-cream bucket, hopefully become rigid again!

Sideshow your post is R/S.Have a read of a post in " Site News " called Text talk in forums by Ranger.Or else go back to school.

If you find it hard to understand his posts,like most of us,PM the moderator of the thread and ask for it to be REMOVED...Thats what I do in my boards if I cant understand them,as I've had enough of trying to make sense of them and modifying them... ;) ;)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

RE: Shark JawsGo to a bunnings / mitre 10 / cheap as chips etc and buy yoursels a hobby scalple kit, dont be lazy and clean them up yourself, yes it will take time, you can keep them in the freezer between cleans, it doesnt have to be done in one sitting unless you got time, Do not boil. Do not varnish, I wouldnt even put them on an ant hill, keep cleaning them utnil your happy, dont forget to take all the skin off of the teeth underneath, There is no rush, once you are happy with the final product set them with two sticks to how you think they should be set, if you can hang them in a tree eg lemon tree etc, voila you got yourself a set of jaws. Dont do what I have done and rush in and cut places you shouldnt, I ruined a bewdiful pair of mako jaws one day and split them in 2 by cutting down the wrong lineHappy carving

ants do a fantastic job of cleaning... they get into everything.bro in law got a 6 ft bronze a few years ago, cant remember how he set them, but im sure chopsticks were involved... left them in the bush near a bull ants nest.... week later, they were really clean.

• 3 months later...

I like the different ways people do their jaws... mine is a variation on all the themes above:sharp knife, a lot of work and then when it looks nearly good enough to 'show' wack it into a weak solution of water & bleach (washing type). that makes the teeth whiter and the tiny bits of flesh missed fade away... but dont leave it in too long!all my bronzies have been under 6 foot (just) so the teeth aren't very "brag like" but I can take a picture if you are super keen!my uncle in law used to be a pro 20 years ago & gave me a big set of Mako teeth too... obviously I did not catch that but its an impressive set of teeth!voogs

Guest davidm#2

hey. i just tried putting my jaws in a bucket of warm to hot water and worked well, no teeth fell out. :)B) now there just sitting on an ants nestdoes anyone varnish there jaws, if so what is the varnish called?cheers david :P