Media Bollocks!!!

I know this subject has caused a lot of controversy,but todays Advertiser,page 22,just makes me wonder about the authenticity of the whole affair.The "angler" who allegedly caught and released the 2 metre Bronzie,claims to have taken over 2 hours to land the fish on a Penn International 130ST reel and wait for it,130lb line. :oMost Bronzies of that size and bigger that I have landed have been subdued in a quarter of that time on 15 or 20kg tackle,and some of these fish were taken of rock ledges in big swells.Something smells fishy here. ::) ::)

When i was in the CFS , The Gawler River had broke its banks and was flooding lewiston. We where driving down one of the roads in the firetruck with a radio reporter doing a report from the back. We where in about 30cm of water on the road and the reported says on her report we where driving through 3 feet of water :o :o :o ::) ::) :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:........... they are good aren't they :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Sambo

every shaek is different mate!!!!but yea its a load of sh*t!! a 3m bronzies on 24kg tackle wood take obout 20-30 minz to land, land based, after passed experiences seen .hissy. .hissy. .hissy.!!!!! seriously whoo wood have that reel aniway!!!!!!!!!!????????thanx lloyd

Geez fella, your posts are really hard to read. ???

Hi people this is Tim that caught the Bronzie washed up at Tennyson. First of all to the person who apparently laid claims to their mates catching it, you are a fool. The fact that It took me 2 hours to bring in means that it was a hell of a a fight.Frankly I am surprised I had her in in 2 hours, The bigger the gear does not mean it will be a skull drag! It means that my gear will not fail! And I bought it on Ebay for a price that I could not knock back as any fisherman would have done that has fished for big fish. To the people that think they can land a 10' on a 6/0 in 30 mins from land based I think you are smelling fishy! To the not fisherman that saw me slaughter a ray over at Ardrossan,(and leave Grange that afternoon as soon as I made it known that I recognised him, and I will remember you) yes I did kill a smoothie for shark bait and kept the flaps and returned the rest to the water to feed up the other fish and yes I have killed many a ray to use as bait but I have also returned 3 times as many to the water and not removed their barb as a trophy. The same as I catch tommies for squid and ray bait and rays for shark bait and squid heads for ray bait as well. Salmon that was used was caught at Giles. I did push her back in as soon as we realised she was pregnant on the beach. Yes we did try and gaff her at the end but the water was to murky to see her and I could not bring her to the surface. This was only the second time that I had fished at Grange and that night proved to be fruitful for me and being in the right place at the right time. If it was a male the remains would be on the tip, the freezer full of meat and the jaws on the wall. Would I make the same decision and actions again? Absolutely. I am not an idiot, I dint berley for them and I dont put balloons out in daylight hours as some others have been known to do. To all the knockers bugger you! What was printed in the advertiser was factual and they are my words and quotes. I contacted the advertiser when I was told it was on their site to make sure that only the facts were presented. I contacted Channel 7 (as It was on channel 7 news on Friday night) and spoke with them and believe me the reporter that I spoke with there was a complete idiot and I hung up the call from him as he became an idiot and tried to bate me when I refused an interview. I refused this as there had been threats against me. I can look after myself but my family is involved. I welcome the people that made the threats to come forward when they see me on the metro Jetty's and then see how big a person they are. I did not kill the fish intentionally and as I said would make the same decision again. I welcome your comments and will endeavour to reply to them all.ThanksTim

Guest SuperThahn

On your 130 are you fishing 20kg of drag as they are designed to do?I have a mate who fishes 37kg for them every season and he says most sharks under 10ft(which yours was) dont even pull drag on 37kg line.Not having a dig and have defended your actions on this and other sites but cant work out how you can take so long on such heavy tackle.I caught a 10ft 235kg shark earlier on on 15kg tackle and that took under 2 hours. Something is not right?I also have thought its possibly the heavy tackle that may have killed it as they come up buggered even on 24kg tackle.

Have any of you blokes thought of how much the tackle Tim the Sharkie is using weighs? There has to be a few kilos there which I'm sure would add more spice to the encounter and put the ball in the sharks court as I'm sure that this extra weight doesn't help the angler too well. Plus trying to walk a Bronzie into the shallows walking along side of it on the jetty wouldn't be too easy and would take some time to do. Its not landed until you touch that leader (or wire so to speak) so it could have taken even more if the shark came in green and was thrashing around.... Congratulations Tim on finally landing a big bronzie mate, I know how many hours you put in for it! I just wonder why such a stink has been kicked up over such a silly small thing such as the fight time. 5 minutes, 2 hours, 24 days! I don't think it really matters that much to disagree over?? Those are just my thoughts....Once again Tim Sharkie congratulations mate!P.S Sideshow- How come you have so many exclamation marks in you're posts, you must be enthusiastic with what you post?

Gday Guys, To Brookesy. I had a run but the fella that was fishing with me lost a 4 footer as we tried to handline it up it snapped the line.To SuperThahn.I have the strike set at 17kg. I only have it set at this as holding onto a fish that is running with a reel this size and staying on your feet is near impossible. I was told that I hooked up at 11.50 pm and had it at the jetty and 1.50. We did a few up and backs around the posts to keep it up at the end and so that it didnt go under the jetty. Like I said before just because you have the heavier tackle does not mean that you will have the fish in any earlier it just means that your tackle will not fail. The fish was 8 1/2 feet from tip to base of tail so this would be around 10' from tip to tip. Even with the high and low speed at times I could not crank the handle and she did pull the line at 17kg of drag. I hear that the 10 footer you got was just under record sorry to hear fella. Please keep oin mind that Landbased is not as easy to get in as from a boat. Do you remember the 10 footer caught from Brighton on a 6/0 a few years ago, This was a 6 hour fight and he saw the pin a few times. It is the pold adage Its not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.Have a greatday. Thanks for the notes Mullies_Chaser. Cheers Fella.TimHave a great day. I hope that have answered your questions.

Hi all. Thanks for your support. Yes it was dis appointing to see her go belly up and land on the beach. Please do not have another lock out. If anyone has a gripe please direct it to me and i will respond and if everyone else can leave alone and have a read all questions will be answered. Lets not get into a poo fight on here over this.Spinnyeel. Would you prefer me to leave the smoothie on the jetty to suffocate, or end its life earlier so that the fish does not suffer. ( If I thought this fish was going to die I would have ended her life as well )I know that I would rather go sooner than later. I kept the ray for bait and as I have stated Im not the cruel bugga that takes a barb for a trophy. Ask the fella that accused me of slaughtering the smoothie. He asked me for the barb and yes, I obliged as I intended to keep it for bate. If it was to go back in the answer would have been NO outright and he would have copped the abuse there and then from me! Anyone that saw the picture from him would have seen all the blood that came from her. This was not from me as when I killed her the blade did not go right thru. This was from when she was gaffed. The gaff hit her in the belly with 2 of the 3 spikes. hence the blood and she would not have lived if I did return her to the water. Yes I did put the carcase back in and fed the fish and washed the jetty of blood and all this took me about ten minut3es so that the public did not see the display. Spinyeeel obviously you disagree with people fishing for anything larger than a dinner plate, thats great and I dont begrudge you for that. So please dont begrudge me and others like me that fish for other fish like sharks and rays. I didnt threaten anyone on here and would not do so.. I dont make threats to people. Im a 40 year old resposible person that is married and surprise surprise to you I have a wife, kids and a job. Maybe even doing a lil better in life than you. You dont know the people that you are speaking with on here. And Spinnyeel I dont need help my friend thats for sure. Im happy and have a great life!Have a great day all. Enjoy ya fishing!TimI will upload the photo of her on the beach as soon as I can work out how to do so.

Inter, on behalf of the Strikehook team, I welcome you to the site!I would also like to thank you for personally coming here to explain the circumstances surrounding this issue, as a first hand account can be deemed far superior in content than heresay, innuendo, speculation and/or media beat up!The issue of sharking, the danger of sharks, and the moral stance of individuals is one which raises it’s head on fishing forums every year as the weather and the waters warm, and this year is no exception.This is the time when local media jump on the issue of sharks in our waters, the time when the greens come out to voice their support for these species, the time when the general public’s awareness of sharks is heightened to the point of paranoia, and also the time when many fishermen hit the water with expectations of a catch.As individuals our views on sharking from metro beaches and jetties can vary greatly, and it’s an issue which has long caused debate and heated discussion amongst fishermen.I myself have provided much input into this debate over the years, as I am someone who is very vocal and outspoken in my views. However, it is now important for me to draw a clear line between my own views and opinions, and my impartial stance as a global moderator acting on behalf of the Strikehook website.Just recently there has been much debate and disagreement on our website, surrounding the issue of metro sharking and sharking practices, including the initiation of discussion into illegal practices by a malicious member (Kingandbronziefisher) intentionally baiting and attacking other site members.to the point where site moderators have been forced to intervene and remove this person from our website due to the trouble he created.The issue of your shark is one which then arose, surrounded by speculation, opinions and heresay, and as staff we did expect further trouble to be caused by this, and have therefore been prepared to act when/if this trouble arose.However, myself and other members of the team here believe it is beneficial that you be given the chance to provide your first hand account and explanation. I personally believe that you have explained yourself well, cleared speculation, and handled yourself in a dignified and sensible manner whilst discussing this on our forum and with our members.We respect your wishes for this thread to remain open, so that you can answer all questions pertaining to this issue, as we ourselves do not desire to intervene.We also understand that from a moral viewpoint many individuals here will differ on where they stand relating to shark fishing, and each individual has the right to air their views here on a public forum.As staff we hold a neutral standpoint, and OUR concern is that while discussing this issue, there are no accounts of, or signs of illegal activity, no personal attacks between members, and no abusive language. Whilst members respect these parameters we provide free reign for discussion, debate and questions. Should members exceed our parameters, we will reassess our decision and take action as we deem fit.Ranger