Media Bollocks!!!

nice shark inter tim lol.welcome to the site anyway.Sharks get caught all the time,i guess you were just unlucky the media stirred shit as they usally do for a story thats life as dareen hinch use to say.Keep doing what ya doingcheers addict

Hi all.Addict. Cheers for the comment. The only thing that would stop me for fishing for these would be if they made it illegal and then I would probably move to a place that we can.SuperThahn & Bigfish.Yes it was tail roped to bring it up on the sand and then turn it around and push it back out. Every been hit in the wrist by a swinging tail or tried to hold onto one without breaking a wrist. Not pretty.Edit.Bigfish. It was not dragged thru the water backwards. It was turned in about 6 inches of water. Nat dragged backwards as you have suggested.SuperthahnYes have caught a 12'tip to tip (10 foot from tip to base of tail)white at Rapid when I was younger on a 12/0 loaded with 80lb on a Fenwick Broomstick (took a little under 5 hours) and have also caught 9 other Bronzies up and down the coast over 8 foot since 1984 For land based with the equipment I used this is about right From Rocks is easier as there is fewer obstructions like jetty pilons. In a boat you can chase the fish down and wear it down. From land based you play a completely different game. You need to keep it from turning and going under the jetty so you play a game of cat and mouse. The harder you pull the shark pulls just as hard and swims against it. So you need to make sure you dont pull it in to quick or shes green for starters and she will swim in an arc straight under the jetty then your stuffed. So you need to do a lot of walking to keep it swimming away and out from the end of the jetty is best. Then at times you need to let it free spool and give it some line to stop it arking or run like hell to pull from another direction so that it changes direction. Rarely and you are very luck iy the swim in a straight line away from the jetty. Handing the rod around light poles and the likes is not easy with a reel of this size. It pulled that hard it popped some of the shackles on the harness that I Use. See Adam it will be in the shop in the next few days. Reel, Line and rod weighs 8.5 kg. Combine that with people that wont get out the way, people that want to have a look and get in yor way, Crabbers and an angry fish on the end this gets tiresome and all takes time. Everytime you go around a pole you need to release the drag so that the rod does not get pulled into the water. Then you need to recover all the line as well while trying to walk and do all this. Anyways come with us one night Super and you may be lucky enough to see what we do and or even be the one with the stick in your hands!Cheers and beers, Enjoy your fishingTim

Guest SuperThahn

Not one to fish off jetties mate especially at this point in time with all the media attention. Thanks for the offer though.Still though i think you would be fine with a properly set up 24kg set up. It would actually be easier and probably less stressful for the fish and you. It will come in less green. The blokes that fish semi have proved this.

Hey SuperThahn.Come on fella you dont know what you are missing!Different strokes for different blokes. The 130 I actually bought on a wim from ebay and it aint going to sit around in the cupboard. Fave reel is a 50vsw and had an 80 VSW on a stick built by Rob Wilson at South Oz Rods. This was a good unit.. Good size and can cope with most that we catch around here, the 50 that is., Unfortunately the closest that I come to is a 6/0 loaded with 24 on a 24-37 stick. Mainly use this for bottom bashing though. Your correct would most likely cope with most that we can catch around here.Have a great day!Tim

Gday SurfishThere was heaps of Mad crabbers and the odd fisherman. Actually there was a couple of young lads that ballooned out on little reels like about the size of an abu 7000 size about 20 metres from the end & one of them caught what looked like a 3 footer. Didnt get that close to it. Unsure if he kept it or not. Personally I would have as they are really great eating that size.Why is that Surfish?Cheers & BeersTim

Hi Surfish.Tell me the story that you heard.I have heard a few even with others claming to have caught the fish.One that I heard was that I pushed it back dead, If this was the case I would have taken her jaws and sold her to the fella on the jetty that wanted to buy it for his mate that was a chef.Also that it was a white is anotherHave heard that I already took the teeth and then released her??? Can anyone explain this one to me! Also read that it was a gummy, It died from the benz (Divers get decompression sickness from spending to long to deep and not doing a decompression stop or from coming up to quick) from being skull dragged up from the bottom! There has been some good ones, People want to come into my lounge room and murder me. Take y pick.The only thing I will say is that you wont get anu bullshit from me.Have a great day.

G'day Inter, most of those crap stories originated on the AdelaideNow website in the comments from readers. I too was having a good laugh at the majority of the BS people were spouting on there when the story first hit the paper and web."The shark has no teeth, obviously its a gummy shark, not a bronzie" :icon_lol:Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that form opinions without knowing the full facts.I appreciate you taking the time to fill us in on what REALLY happened and I look forward to reading of your future adventures.Keep doing what you're doing mate.

Hey Tim buddy, I think there's no way you'd use that reel! It's stupid, a reel like that?? Stand up???? Geez man. Oh and yeah, I got these two sharks mixed up with another. :-[Tim we will catch up for a shark sesh, because I wanna see this reel man.I've seen em land based on 24kg man!!! 20-30mins!!! On 9/0s!!!thanx lloyd

I am not into shark fishing so won't comment on this issue.However what really got up my nose last summer the some moron caught a small shark of Sema4 jetty and left the tail , fins and head on the jetty, don't know what happened to the body.At least could have cleaned up after himself and give the crabs a feed.....

The reason I remain a sceptic is because my good mate Tim Denton landed this shark after a 45 minute fight on a TLD20 3 metre Hammer combo loaded with 15kg Penn mono,at Cabbot's Hole on the Far West coast in front of 6 witnesses including the late Sam Maddonna.Anyone who has fished this place will understand what a magnificent acheivment this was.This fish would swallow any local Bronzie whole. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: size=1468http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/TFlCfjZ5__Big_Shark.jpg[/img]

hay lloyd i saw a 9 footer landbased on a tld 50, it took my mate 1 hour and 50mins to get it to the jetty only to loose it, probs would have taken another half hour to try and land!!! I think some sharks just go harder then others!

hay luke man dnt suck up man, ive never seen this happen thro all tha sharks ive seen man, NOT ONCE hay. thanx lloyd
Guest SuperThahn

Spinyeel technicly thats not a bronzie. Its a Dusky Whaler the bigger varity that are of whalers. Quite rare in South Australia.As for that bronzie eating the local bronzies check where the south australian gfaa and igfa records are. The big ones are very close to home.

Hi all.Spiny you can remain a sceptic. However if you read what I posted about landbased from a jetty you may start to understand. From a beach is simpler than from a jetty and I give ya mate credit for his catch.Luke_Westlakes You are wise fella. Some do fight harder than other not just varies between the species. A Mate hooked a 10 foot White in the gulf in boat a few weeks ago and it took him 10 minutes to get the fish to the boat and they didnt up anchor. To me this is unheard of. ANd it was on a TLD 30! He said it put up no fight at all. And yes as soon as he got it to the boat and saw what it was he cut the trace. Left the fish with some mouth jewellery and off it went on its merry way. The way it was described to me was it was like the fish was stoned.Kingsley.Keep fishing matey and Ill see you on the rocks. Love fish and fishing and all that is around it. The experience the people the good times and the bad times. Its a god dam hoot!And finally SideshowI was wondering when I was going to hear from you. I have no interest in "catching up with you for a shark Sesh". You were the first one here to outright call me a liar and to want to have a crack at me over anything and everything. And now you calling me or my reel stupid! The only place you will see this reel is around and the only words you will get from me will be piss off. No time for people who want to blow their own trumpet and big note themselves from behind a keyboard and want to have crack at me before they even know the facts. Sideshow I cant remember exactly what it was that you wrote but it was something along the lines of wanting to bash me or something like that in the thread. So mate I have no time for you at all fella.Everyone else! keep fishing, it ROX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee inter you nearly have as many karma points as me and have only been here a few days lolI would have more than likely meet ya on a jetty at some time or another.I fished for sharks for many years and through out the mid 80s and 90s especially Semi ,Henely and the bay,but never landed a big shark but lost a couple.I to love it and respect it for what its worth and had a ball as a young teenager running amok and all the all nighters.I use to take my rods to high school every friday and stay down the jetty all weekend every weekend.I also never done any work at school i was to busy drawing penn 6/0s and sharks and rays in my books.I have so many memories

Hey addict.I was the same from the early 80's and a young fella. My neck of the woods was from port Stanvac to Cape Jervois. Best spot was definately Rapid Bay without a doubt. The only place you could catch everything you could imagine. As a group of 10 young lads we spent 22 days on the jetty in 1984 with parents bringing us up food and booze. We had a hoot and caught some great bloody fish. First was a 4/0 then a 6/0 and went all the way to whale killer 16/0. Best reel woithout a doubt was the 12/0. Balanced and was easier to manage. Nearly got pulled in down at Rapid bay. Bout snagged my line and reel was sent screaming by the time i tightened the drag and was ready to strike I was hugging a pole and ready to go skiing then I realised it was a boat. If it wasnt fo the quick thinking of another fisherman with his knife I would have been in the soup. Thems was the days. Enjoy all and have a great day!Tim

it aint like he did anything wrong, sure it sucks the shark died and it was pregnant but stuff happens ay, he clearly tried to return it, if he killed it y would he return it?inter its not like you where net fishing or doing anyfin illegal, if you read other threads of people sighting illegal practices i bet there is no news story over them purly for the fact that your story can be twisted to get a huge reaction weather it be good or bad.dont no much bout shark fishing but saw the pick, to me it looked like a good catch

Hi all.Go easy on Sideshow.Was my payout to him. DONT everyone else get on the bandwagon becase someone else has. (think back a week to how you all wanted to get hold of the fisherman than killed the bronzie that washed up on the beach) He got into me so I got into him. Sideshow.Im told you can be an idiot but thats expected when you are a young fella sideshow however i am told you can be ok! Not one person on this site can lay claims to being level headed as a young fella. My advice to you sideshow is just think before you leap and you will have less foot in mouth disease! I was a little shithead when I was younger, actually I pretty much still can be.Have a great LOOOOOONG weekend everybody. Catch some fish cause Im not! Wife wanted a new roof on the pergola. Gets me brownie points for another weekend at Yorkes!Cheers and Beers!Inter