Cheap Snook Lures

Hey everyone, thinking about taking my kayak off seacliff to target some squid and snook in a couple weeks time.

I know how to get myself a squid so im not too worried about that, however the snook seem very expensive to target and i don't wanna be spending heaps to get nothing in the end.. Can anyone suggest some cheap lures, preferably below 15 bucks.. I know the Daiwa Double Clutch's are dynamite on em, but id drown myself if i snagged one and lost it and 25 bucks went down the drain.. I'm on a tight budget is all..

Any sugestions would be appreciated :)

Fishing Techniques: Most snook are taken on lightly-weighted or un-weighted baits of whitebait, anchovy or pilchards on ganged hooks or single, long-shanked hooks. They also fall to fish flesh strips, small live baits and pieces of squid. These baits should be a lightly weighted and kept moving. A gentle jigging motion will often attract snook. Snook are also keen lure-takers and fall to slow-trolled spoons, jigs, feathers and minnows, particularly on weighted lines or behind paravanes. Eating Qualities: The snook is a very good to excellent table fish, much prized in southern waters. The fish's flesh is white, moist and sweet, although a little soft. Care should be taken not to bruise the meat, and all snook should be cleaned promptly after capture. 

Are you planning on trolling behind the yak? Try any minnow profile shallow diving HBs around the 70-90mm mark, especially those that may look like a gar- shiny silver/blues/greens etc. Im not specifically familiar with them but some of the Savage Gear ones look ok, around $12 too.

Snook are schooling, so once you get a few hits in the same place it may be worth while to go more 'hands on' and switch over to SPs. Zman's are suitably tough for snook attacks, dont try to use Gulps!!  Something like 3.75 in Zman Streakz, 85-110mm Flickbaits. As mentioned, metals can be good too and cheap!

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

Are you planning on trolling behind the yak? Try any minnow profile shallow diving HBs around the 70-90mm mark, especially those that may look like a gar- shiny silver/blues/greens etc. Im not specifically familiar with them but some of the Savage Gear ones look ok, around $12 too.

Snook are schooling, so once you get a few hits in the same place it may be worth while to go more 'hands on' and switch over to SPs. Zman's are suitably tough for snook attacks, dont try to use Gulps!!  Something like 3.75 in Zman Streakz, 85-110mm Flickbaits. As mentioned, metals can be good too and cheap!

yeah mate I plan to troll behind and stop when we get a fish and have a few casts.. i'll take a look at some savage gear ones, cheers mate!

Storm Smash Shad

Best snook lure I have used. I have run a double clutch side by side and they usually draw more strikes. They are cheap if you shop around overseas.

I bought a heap from the US a few years ago when the dollar was high and got them for about $6 AUS.

Currently going for $5 US on various US sites. They usually go on sale down to $4 US every now and then. Shipping costs a bit though.

Casting, I've had just as much success on Zman Grubs as I have the nice hard bodies. But trolling, IMO, you want something you can work slowly. The metals are good when they are on, but you'll snag plenty if you're fishing shallow and trolling slowly, not to mention lack of action on many. 

Shallow divers often run pretty straight, as long as they are half decent. Get something from Atomic or rapala, storm, even halco tbh. The little scorpions are meant to dive to 1.2m and run well behind a boat. A 60mm version would do well.