TD SOL III

Hi All,

As the title suggests, just wondering if any of the tackle junkies out in Strike & Hook Land know much about the knew SOLs, the specs look pretty good throughout the range, anyone have an opinion or have purchased one yet? A bit out of my price range but am curious of your thoughts.

Cheers :439_fishing_pole_and_fish:

They do look the goods, they are super light with decent drags on them. When they were released at the Afta trade show they were apparently going to be around the $400 mark. 

The reel sizing is certainly smaller than Daiwas previous reels. For example an 3-6kg rod would usually take a 2500-3000 reel, however with the Sol rod it balances well with the 4000 sol purely because of the lightness of the reel.

But all in all they are certainly a tough reel on face value. Only down side i see with them is that They aren't compatible with the custom preject spools or RCS spools as they aren't Real four reels.

Ill probably end up getting a 2500 myself.

i got the 4000 seems smooth and will pull most things backwards with 12kg of drag not that i'd be trying that,teamed with my new NS blackhole 10-20lb and 15 suffix pro its light as a feather and i'm looking forward to tangling with a jew or two on plastique.

cheers b

On 12/18/2017 at 12:19 PM, southie THE BANGA said:

They do look the goods, they are super light with decent drags on them. When they were released at the Afta trade show they were apparently going to be around the $400 mark. 

The reel sizing is certainly smaller than Daiwas previous reels. For example an 3-6kg rod would usually take a 2500-3000 reel, however with the Sol rod it balances well with the 4000 sol purely because of the lightness of the reel.

But all in all they are certainly a tough reel on face value. Only down side i see with them is that They aren't compatible with the custom preject spools or RCS spools as they aren't Real four reels.

Ill probably end up getting a 2500 myself.

Real Four is just marketing hype. This is Daiwa's take on it:

In 2004 we introduced the Real Four Concept in the original Certate – Real engine, Real control, Real endurance, Real custom, setting the new standard in spinning reel design and innovation

What does that mean exactly? Nothing. Just like Shimano's Hagane.

Don't fall for marketing hype trying to get you to pay for a reel that is more expensive rather than one that does the job perfectly.

With other manufacturers you can do the same thing. Lots of ABU 7000 and 9000 parts are interchangeable. Lots of my Shimanos same-same. Just doesn't have a fancy name. And they do it because tooling is cheaper. It is not for you, it is for them. But it still is a good thing and I suppose this fits under the "custom" thing. What about the other 3? Not trying to be a pain but what do they mean. All this says to me is that the reels were designed to suit their intended purpose. Does that mean that the non reel four reels weren't?

Real engine, Real control, Real endurance

Real Four is just marketing hype. This is Daiwa's take on it:
In 2004 we introduced the Real Four Concept in the original Certate – Real engine, Real control, Real endurance, Real custom, setting the new standard in spinning reel design and innovation
What does that mean exactly? Nothing. Just like Shimano's Hagane.
Don't fall for marketing hype trying to get you to pay for a reel that is more expensive rather than one that does the job perfectly.
Im refering to if you are wanting to use the daiwa custom project spools or rcs spools you cant use them on the new range of LT reels as they aren't compatible as i am aware. I could be wrong but just what i heard. Those custom project spools and rcs spools are only compatible with real 4 reels. That's all i was getting at. Some people like spare spools. So was more of a heads up really.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Im refering to if you are wanting to use the daiwa custom project spools or rcs spools you cant use them on the new range of LT reels as they aren't compatible as i am aware. I could be wrong but just what i heard. Those custom project spools and rcs spools are only compatible with real 4 reels. That's all i was getting at. Some people like spare spools. So was more of a heads up really.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

No worries.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Seems there is a lot to consider when you start paying a bit more for your kit while still trying to get value for money. The point you make Southie about the spare spool interchangeability is an important consideration.

Also seems the trend in reel technology nowadays is for smaller, much lighter gear that is still powerful. The new TD SOLs fit that mold for sure. A 2500 would be a nice addition to my reel collection, 10kg of drag while weighing 180 grams, cast it all day with ease. 

id like to see how the new SOL performs out in the field over a period of time...durability longetivity...does it retain its smoothness...etc...as its new itll certainly be interesting to see ...proven performers like Certates on the other hand...well you know what youre getting...a WAR MACHINE.......sorta thing:blush:

3 hours ago, Aff said:

Thanks for the replies fellas. Seems there is a lot to consider when you start paying a bit more for your kit while still trying to get value for money. The point you make Southie about the spare spool interchangeability is an important consideration.

Also seems the trend in reel technology nowadays is for smaller, much lighter gear that is still powerful. The new TD SOLs fit that mold for sure. A 2500 would be a nice addition to my reel collection, 10kg of drag while weighing 180 grams, cast it all day with ease. 

Ended up getting a 2500 Certate today but it was a toss up between the tate and the Sol. Ended up going the tate purely for as Bratko mentioned being a proven performer. 

In saying that i probably will end up getting a Sol at a later date but the Certate was certainly worth me picking it up for the price i got it for ;)

On 27/12/2017 at 5:43 PM, bratko said:

id like to see how the new SOL performs out in the field over a period of time...durability longetivity...does it retain its smoothness...etc...as its new itll certainly be interesting to see ...proven performers like Certates on the other hand...well you know what youre getting...a WAR MACHINE.......sorta thing:blush:

It'll be interesting, that's for sure. 

These super light, overpowered reels are great and all but will they last? Will the rods they match be able to perform to the same capacity as the reel? Will the frame hold up when someone cranks up the drag on a big fish?

Give it 3 or 4 years and we should have an answer.