If you could only pick one, what lure would you use for tuna?

As the title suggests, what lure is your gun or go to lure for our sbt's? 
I've dragged around the redhead halco lures to no avail once before, very new to the sport of tuna fishing and just looking at getting a selection of lures for an attempt on them next week, cheers and merry christmas! 

Biggest Tuna lures we sell in the shop are the Halco Laser Pro 160dd in the colours Chrome Tiger, Pilchard, Bonito, King Brown and baitfish.

Don't Tuna fish myself but our resident tuna expert swears by these colours....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Biggest Tuna lures we sell in the shop are the Halco Laser Pro 160dd in the colours Chrome Tiger, Pilchard, Bonito, King Brown and baitfish.

Don't Tuna fish myself but our resident tuna expert swears by these colours....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree

ive only chased them once and the old halco lazerpro dominated

think we were using the 140 size by memory

G'day

Dragging around lures to no avail is one of the aspects to Tuna trolling

I have found much better success with the shallow divers, but generally once you find them it seems they will attack anything going through the water.

We use a couple of halcos close in the middle and not far out and a couple of skirts on the outsides and they go for them all.   We usually have to do a trip or 2 with no result before success.

These lures have caught quite a few fish over the last 3 years and I will have to decide whether to retire them to the pool room or send them in to battle again in 2018 :-)

tuna lures.jpeg

My preference would be more natural colours based on the type of bait fish the fish are feeding on.  Same deal with the size of the lure - the smaller the better.

Having said this, the tuna we caught the other day were full to the brim of tiny 20mm long leather jackets, yet they scoffed down pilchard sized lures of all different colours!

Much like my opinion on squid jags, colour of the lure probably plays less of an importance than the action of the lure.

Wow... overwhelming amount of replies! Thanks for being so generous with the info, it's all very valuable for me at the moment

With the finding schools thing, I've found them breaking the surface and cruising along and np hits... tried flicking slugs toward them too... nothing, another boat near me got 1

I have a few pilchard pattern halco's for this trip so I'll see if they can pop my tuna cherry for me

The last thing is I'm running braid with an 80lb leader... how long should the leader be? Currently its about 7ft, thinking i might go longer?

3 hours ago, Rod said:

Don't know about others experience but at least 90% caught blind trolling, no surface activity at all.

I have around 5-6m of leader

Cheers

Rod

Agree that the blind troll is the way to locate the schools but I'll let the rest of the crew look after that and my outfit sits in the launcher waiting for the action to start! We do all of our tuna fishing off Pondilowie Bay and the way the fish behaved varied with every trip. Our biggest fish wasn't even caught on a lure.

Hi Dylbaa

I'm not in a position to personally recommend any particular product, but I have heard good words about the following (the first two being Duo products):

http://www.duo-australia.com.au/press-bait-saira/

http://www.duo-australia.com.au/tide-vib-slim-140/

and, for something different there is this:

http://www.jmgillies.com.au/product/classic-bluewater-f18-120mm/

Just a few more options to consider...

All are readily available from tackle shops in the Adelaide metro area.

Cheers

af

Early this year we dragged all sorts around KI with a few hook ups but it wasn't until I gave a 4 inch soft plastic swim bait with the built in weight a go that those hook ups became more frequent,some up to 50kilo.They were feeding on massive schools of white bait so we tried to match the hatch.

Dark diver or skirt run short in prop wash has most of my tuna while trolling 

I will use a big purple mackerel skirt next time as lots of 40 cm schools of  macs where i tried on snap opening day

Duel adagio 125g with single hook casts a mile on 20lb for surface fish.

Yozuri mag minnow white red head 55mm was unstoppable when feading on whitebait one time 5 fish to 0😂

Good luck 👍