Advice - family weekend escape - Fleurieu Peninsula

Hi All,  

Looking to take the family (wife & toddler, possibly dog) on a weekend away down south along the Fleurieu Peninsula in the next month or so. Unfortunatel I have almost zero experience with the area. 

Primarily it will be for family time. We are thinking coastal (walking distance to beach), family friendly (toddler friendly especially) but I would love to be able to duck out for a few hours in the morning / evening and flick some HBs/SPs at the local Nemo population.

Does anyone with experience in the area have any advice on something that would match that description?

Cheers TL

Victor Harbour is a popular spot. You have many accommodation choices as well as eateries. 

Granite island is a good family destination, there is a horse drawn tram thingy that crosses the causeway to the island (quite cheap). Once on the island there is a nice walk around it (not too far or strenuous) with ocean views everywhere. Calble lift to the bottom. At night on the island you can watch the ferry penguins come ashore. People fish of the wharf area, the causeway and off the rocks on the island. 

Yep, second what Brutus says.

Near the Causeway there is nice lawned areas especially along Flinders Parade where this a small playground also - grab some fish and chips from 'The Original Fish & Chip Shop' in Ocean Street ;) and pop around to lawns.

The Causeway and Screwpile jetty (on Granite Is.) has Gar, Tommies & Squid.

The Bluff wharf (or off the rocks) along Franklin Parade has Squid and a Snapper was recently caught there too, but has a rocky/weedy bottom (seals some times sunbaking on the rocks in front of you, so can make the fish disappear).

The beaches generally has too much seaweed around for my liking.

The Inman River and/or Hindmarsh River do have some bream as does Encounter Bay lake (around the rocky structures).

If you have time, have a drive around to Pt Elliott Horseshoe Bay - a great little family area with nice beach, lawned area (with small playground for memory), kiosk.  If it is a bit windy or swell is up from generally the South, the waves hit some big rocks called 'The Sisters' and one of those rocks is large and round.  When the wave hits it, it gets covered in white and resemble a Pudding with white custard over it :)  The rock is usually referred to 'The Pudding'.

Hope that helps and enjoy the family time.

In reality Victor may be your best starting point:facepalm:. There is a lot more other stuff available; pubs, restarunts, cafes, playgrounds etc, I just don't really like the place:D! Lots more people & tourists and the fishing spots get hit up pretty hard.

Cheeky Ratbags is a great play cafe for the little ones. Whale Museum, when kids are a little older. Apparently the Pork Pie Shop does fantastic English pork pies and other traditional pies. Cockle train runs Victor-Goolwa, check the times. My son was/is obsessed with trains. This can be a proper steam train too, although I dont think so during the Fire Ban Season.

Will 2nd Doobs, the Causway foreshore area is quite pretty. Nicely grassed and lined with mature Norfolk Island Pines.

A couple of other ideas: 

1. Rapid Bay Caravan Park. Right on the foreshore and quick walking distance to jetty/beach and rock fishing. Great for the fishing although not necessarily much to do with the family during the day.
  2. Rental at Cape Jervis. Never looked at it but there must be some available. Would put you in the vicinity of some of Kuerschie's flathead/salmon posts from month or so back.
  3. Yankallila bakery :wub:
  4. Ive fished Deep Creek Conservation Park (so no dog) a bit. What vehicle do you have?- where i go requires 4x4 access. Nothing fancy required. My Subaru's are fine. and if your all OK with camping, would be a good spot once the weather cools a bit.

When the kids were little we used to head to Normanville & stay at the jetty Caravan Park, either camping or in a cabin. We always had a great time.

The beaches from Normy to Carrackalinga are great for kids & dogs.

You can beach fish from Lady Bay all the way to Carry, Second Valley Jetty is not far away & neither are the rocks at Myponga Beach.

The cafe at Normy Jetty has recently changed hands & is apparently great & Yankallila Bakery is famous for its goods.

I think it is a better spot than Victor, less crowded & less commercial.

Cheers

TL, if the hound is an inside doggie and going with you, check out the PetLet chain of accommodations. They have heaps of rentals down that way and the dog is welcome inside in all of them. There is a couple of cracker ones around Encounter Lakes (PetLet#4) Bream fishing off the back door step!!! Oh, and there is playgrounds and stuff too:lol:

Cheers,

Greg.

Thanks for the advice all - appreciate it :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

On 1/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, vogon said:

When the kids were little we used to head to Normanville & stay at the jetty Caravan Park, either camping or in a cabin. We always had a great time.

The beaches from Normy to Carrackalinga are great for kids & dogs.

You can beach fish from Lady Bay all the way to Carry, Second Valley Jetty is not far away & neither are the rocks at Myponga Beach.

The cafe at Normy Jetty has recently changed hands & is apparently great & Yankallila Bakery is famous for its goods.

I think it is a better spot than Victor, less crowded & less commercial.

Cheers

Pretty much covers off all of my wants / needs and at this early stage sounds like winner. Will look more into this area - thanks Vogon!

18 hours ago, gregtech said:

TL, if the hound is an inside doggie and going with you, check out the PetLet chain of accommodations. They have heaps of rentals down that way and the dog is welcome inside in all of them. There is a couple of cracker ones around Encounter Lakes (PetLet#4) Bream fishing off the back door step!!! Oh, and there is playgrounds and stuff too:lol:

Cheers,

Greg.

Thanks Greg, I will keep this in mind as he does spend nights inside with us.