A 1.6 kg KG Whiting caught in Tassie..

Here's a photo of a 1.6 kg KGW caught here in Tassie last week, with a legal size of 35 cms and a bag limit of 5 fish per person now in place here a few around that size would be plenty any way..

There's also a limit of only 10 KGW allowed per household as well.. With more KGW being caught down here they Fisheries thought it wise to bring in these regulations because there weren't any on them before.

KGW are becoming a common catch across the North & the East Coast of Tassie in the St Helens area and fish in the 50 cm - 60 cm range are quite common.

cheers

Adrian

5a764abb1a5ad_1.6kgWhiting..jpg.cb6e0e96d36852786091ec768c5707ca.jpg

I've heard the same thing too and that was from a pro fisher at Elliston some 35 yrs ago years ago when I was fishing there, he had some very large whiting which he called black whiting because they were so dark on their back. Those fish were around 3-4 pound each and were caught in deep water off Flinders Island.. He said they would only fetch half the price of what he got for 12-14 inch KGW's..

cheers

Adrian

4 hours ago, reelfun said:

I’ve been told that they don’t eat well ,is that true.

Been onboard a few charters around the YP foot over the years where 1 kilo KGs popped up on a regular basis. They were great on the table depending who cooked them. The great Bill Kelly was the master. We think it had a lot to do with his pure pig lard deep fryers :lol:.

I caught some 50 cm kg’s off the reef close to shore past Cape Elizabeth half way to Balgowan a few years back at the beginning of summer and was not happy with the taste. My usual catch is around the 36-44 range and my family of 7 all love and devour them. It’s usually a squabble who gets the most. The day I bought these big ones home everyone was keenly awaiting their dinner. I’m a retired chef and cooked them in my usual way which is just dusted with flour and pan fried in butter. 

First personto turn their nose up at them was my daughter, quickly followed by the rest of us.

They had a most unusual flavour that was not enjoyable. It was the first time ever that Whiting was left in touched on their plates.

so in my opinion bigger Whiting DO NOT taste better at all.