Good Camping/Fishing Spots

Looking at heading out this weekend somewhere not heaps far from Adelaide: within 3 hours, to camp and hopefully fish, just overnight saturday sunday trip.

Just wondering if anyones got any suggestions for a good spot to camp, but somewhere that's fishing well, would love to get into some rock fishing if anyone's got any suggestions, cheers :)

5 minutes ago, brutus said:

Noz, there are stacks of places up my way on Yorks.

You could head to the gap. There’s a camping ground right next to beach, long drop dunny, and good fishing off the beach for gars Crabs yellowfin squid etc....

Will give it a suss mate, cheers!

If you got a trail bike heaps of beach riding and tracks behind the dunes. Once at the gap if you head north along the beach about 1/2 a km you will see a tin shed up in the dunes (nicknamed “camp crusty”).

It regularly used by campers and can be accessed by a track along the beach or behind the dunes.

Same thing if you keep head North up to Cape Elizabeth you will see another shack used for camping. Both are basic and sometimes quite crusty, but it’s a first come first served basis 

6 minutes ago, brutus said:

If you got a trail bike heaps of beach riding and tracks behind the dunes. Once at the gap if you head north along the beach about 1/2 a km you will see a tin shed up in the dunes (nicknamed “camp crusty”).

It regularly used by campers and can be accessed by a track along the beach or behind the dunes.

Same thing if you keep head North up to Cape Elizabeth you will see another shack used for camping. Both are basic and sometimes quite crusty, but it’s a first come first served basis 

Appreciate all the tips mate, that's awesome.. really considering heading up there ^_^

Hi Noz,

My first thought would be Deep Creek, when I was  young and land based this was my favourite place. One trip me and my girlfriend at the time got about 4 and a half dozen 50 to 60 cm salmon off the rocks in about two hours, great memories.

@Brutus, hi, are they still having issues with tyres being spiked at Cape Elizabeth? It's a great place to fish there and a beautiful camping spot, it's a shame a small minority try and ruin it.

Dave

5 hours ago, AuusieDave said:

Hi Noz,

My first thought would be Deep Creek, when I was  young and land based this was my favourite place. One trip me and my girlfriend at the time got about 4 and a half dozen 50 to 60 cm salmon off the rocks in about two hours, great memories.

@Brutus, hi, are they still having issues with tyres being spiked at Cape Elizabeth? It's a great place to fish there and a beautiful camping spot, it's a shame a small minority try and ruin it.

Dave

Haven’t heard any issues now for 6 months or more, hopefully the person landed on one of their own spikes and crawled under a bush to wither away

7 minutes ago, brutus said:

Haven’t heard any issues now for 6 months or more, hopefully the person landed on one of their own spikes and crawled under a bush to wither away

That's great news mate, it's a beautiful spot there and I've been wanting to go there for a weekend since I got my yak but there's just so many places I want to fish.

hit the yorks up noz it's a magical place. so many towns close to eachother if you get board at one move to the next. my favorite place for a bit of rock fishing is point soutar just after point turton. guaranteed a mixed bag this time of year.

gar,tommies,ludrick,squid big drumma just for fun lol and so much more flathead whiting all sorts lol just a awesome place.

hope you get onto a few

goodluck😎

Another vote for Yorkes..... In all honesty i dont waste my time fishing metro much anymore. I'd rather save the cash and head to Yorkes. Alot more options and if weather turns your only 20-30mins away from the other side.... 

Plenty of little bays/areas you can get away from everyone and camp for a couple nights....

Myself and Kuerschie camped at Burners Beach peaceful and water right out the front.... 

48 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Another vote for Yorkes..... In all honesty i dont waste my time fishing metro much anymore. I'd rather save the cash and head to Yorkes. Alot more options and if weather turns your only 20-30mins away from the other side.... 

Plenty of little bays/areas you can get away from everyone and camp for a couple nights....

Myself and Kuerschie camped at Burners Beach peaceful and water right out the front.... 

burners beach just magic right next to point soutter when looking from the cliffs to the right you have soutter ramp and rocks and to the left good old burners beach. heaps of salmon mullet and even flathead down on that beach. so many memories and the best part a camp sight so close to the water...picture perfect:boot:

Try Port Minlacowie, cupla K's north of Hardwicke. Camping area about 600m Sth of the boat ramp- no facilities. Very rocky coast, good for squid, gar, tommies. I have seen Kingies and hammer heads in close.

Or Mozzie Flat, 20Km due west of Edithburgh.  Free camping with no facilities. Camping good behind sandhills, fishing difficult with southerlies blowing.

37 minutes ago, dmck said:

Try Port Minlacowie, cupla K's north of Hardwicke. Camping area about 600m Sth of the boat ramp- no facilities. Very rocky coast, good for squid, gar, tommies. I have seen Kingies and hammer heads in close.

Or Mozzie Flat, 20Km due west of Edithburgh.  Free camping with no facilities. Camping good behind sandhills, fishing difficult with southerlies blowing.

gotta love minlacowie☺ great for squid those rocks. 

3 hours ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Burners was peaceful until I nearly blew us up with that dodgy butane cooker ahaha.

Yorkes is an awesome place to camp and fish like the others have mentioned. It’s probably myself and Southie’s most common overnighter trips. So many options available.

Did You Know?...............

Camping permits and fees

As from 1st September 2016 the following came into effect:

• All designated bush camping grounds are subject to a fee and a permit must be obtained prior to setting up camp
  • Camping is now permitted at Daly Head as well as Len Barker Reserve, Port Minlacowie, Parara and the Foul Bay Boat Ramp
  • More choices of permit types – nightly, weekly, monthly or annual
  • Special ‘local rates’ for ratepayers
  • Anyone camping without first obtaining a permit may be liable to a $100 fine
  • All camping permits are recorded on a central data base

The permit will no longer be restricted to a particular camp ground, instead it will allow you to camp at any of the Yorke Peninsula designated camp grounds.

Just a heads up as i just couldn't believe it when it came in, What A Joke! :angry:

Chuck.......

On 15/02/2018 at 9:46 PM, southie THE BANGA said:

My mistake was thinking of Barker Rocks.....

But i think we have camped at burners as well....

But still both our mint places to camp 🖖🖖🖖

Barker rocks, mint squidding off there. Had squid cannibalising hooked squid for a good couple of hours a year or so ago.