Howdy guys,
Just looking for a bit of info and experiences from you all regarding seas-worthy open boats. Looking at purchasing my first boat later this year and i am looking at open boats between 4.2- 4.8ms preferably something with substantial freeboard. So far boats in the Stacer range have been looking like a winner.
But i am after suggestions for brands and models that could also be worth a look.

Here are some of my favourites from  my current research 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2013-Stacer-449-Seahorse/SSE-AD-5275909/?cr=42&psq=((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26BoatType%3D[Power])%26Price%3Drange[..10000])%26LengthInFeet%3Drange[12..17])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=30&pss=AdvertAge

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2005-Stacer-460-SEAHORSE/SSE-AD-5282113/?cr=14&psq=((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26BoatType%3D[Power])%26Price%3Drange[..10000])%26LengthInFeet%3Drange[12..17])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=AdvertAge

Cheers  LL.

LL Both boats are ok, but substantial freeboard does not mean great stability. 

Having owned at least 30 or 40 boats, all within that size range and all open boats, I’ve learnt a lot.

Theres nothing worse than being on a small boat and feel like it’s going to tip over when two of you decide to go to the same side of the boat at once. There’s not a lot of alloy boats out there that this wi t happen on. Some are stable, most are not. As for the two you have shown I can’t comment on their stability as I’ve not been on them. 

Are you set on alloy? Why?

I own a Gannet 15’ open runabout built by Dealtry. It’s one of the most stable boats in its size. 

Professionals love them!! Back in the early days lots and lots of pros used them because of their stability and seaworthiness, and lots of them still use them to this day for that very reason. The one I own now is about my eighth Gannet (not sure, lost count). I sell them for various reasons and then regret it and get another.

If you want to drive up to Moonta you are more than welcome to come for a trip in mine and see for yourself.

6 hours ago, silaflex said:

Do they really have substantial free board when they cut that much out to mount the engine?

Boats like that make me nervous.

Me too. Following sea can be treacherous, or going flat out and have to stop in a hurry and watch 1/2 ton water come over the transom in a big hurry 👎