Long story short, the anti reverse on my little Aird 2500 is playing around. Some times it is fine, then it will have maybe a cm of play on occasion. It was worse at 1 point this weekend but it semi-righted itself. In my little brain it doesn't make sense for an anti reverse to work instantly sometimes and not others. Any ideas?

It has been thrashed lately so maybe I should just take it into a shop for a service. At this rate it'll be clapped out by year's end. 

Could be a bit of moisture or grit/shit stuck in it causing it to slip and not work. 

From memory it needs to be dry and clean. Maybe take it apart and haveca look see or just order a new anti reverse bearing and replace it... 

90% of reel repairs go to Rob wilson at south oz rods. If you take it direct to him it can be done in a few days. If you take it to a tackle shop it could be a 3 week turn around as it goes to a middle man before getting picked up by rob to look at it. 

Its still a mystery to me why reels have them in the first place in over 50 years of fishing I have never used the anti reverse switch on a spinning reel. To me its a useless addition to a reel that adds weight and serves no purpose. Im sure someone out there has an explanation for why we have them 

cheers

snapps

51 minutes ago, snapperhead said:

Its still a mystery to me why reels have them in the first place in over 50 years of fishing I have never used the anti reverse switch on a spinning reel. To me its a useless addition to a reel that adds weight and serves no purpose. Im sure someone out there has an explanation for why we have them 

cheers

snapps

"Supposedly" it was designed for the europeans as they didn't want to use there drag systems. They rather the reel wind backwards to fight fish.... 

1 hour ago, southie THE BANGA said:

"Supposedly" it was designed for the europeans as they didn't want to use there drag systems. They rather the reel wind backwards to fight fish....

Yeah I had heard that but surely the world doesnt have to suffer for the sake of a few carp crazy europeans :lol:

Could you imagine doing it their way on say a tuna you would have to be able to wind backwards pretty quick  :lol::lol::lol:

cheers

snapps

As Southie suggests. Take it apart and have squiz. 

Sounds like the anti reverse bearing. Have a look, clean it out with some inox and dry most of the excess lube off. Too much lube and the anti reverse wont work at all.

A strip down i did on a little Symetre, should be pretty similar:

Cheers Fellas.

I've had a play with the roller bearing (was a bit sticky) and also found a part which looks to have been damaged at some point but is doing the job. Not sure what it is just looks pretty rough. Will give the anti reverse itself a suss and go from there. @snapperhead I agree, it's  a bloody small portion of the market that wants to wind backwards; should be custom models for that feature just like some bait runners. 

IMG_20180305_184344[1].jpg