Mars, not sure if I'm stating the bleed'n obvious here to you but........Keeping your gents in the fridge is the best way, I have found, to prolong their life / usefullnes. They wont last forever and Aarron could possibly give you a better idea of shelf life.If out in the boat / jetty using them it pays to have them out of the sun or even on ice if the day is overly hot. The reason this is, is that the cold slows them down, puts em to sleep even slowing the cycle of their transformation. Well thats how I understand it.

Bought some last week, devided them up in 4 lots, ( don't use them all at same time) had a look this morning and 90% brown and been in fridge since I bought them. >:(

thats coz u didnt get the SHELDONS variety Pescados :icon_lol:In all seriousness though it does raise the question about where to buy your gents. I know it sounds like a huge suck, but........ I have found that the Sheldons gents seem to be of better quality and quantity to those I have bought of other no name types.Its also is a good idea to be buying your gents from places that see a large turn over of stock in my view. This goes a long way to ensuring the quality of what you are buying as well.I have a packet I bought over the New Year break that is still looking and producing the goods as late as last weekend. I expect they will still be producing this weekend as well ;)

It all depends how long the gents have been in the tackle store before you buy them.I usually find that I can get 2 weeks out of most gents if kept in the fridge. By the third week they are usually a bit dried and shrivelled and starting to form casters.It is also worth changing the bran every week to keep the gents fresh. Casters are a reasonable bait in their own right and will still take fish. They are quite popular as an alternative to maggots in the UK.If you can find these, extended life gents are great and will last twice as long as normal gents.http://www.sheldonsbait.com.au/index.php/products/gents-extended-life

Hang on! Someone just told me that 'gents' are just maggots in disguise! :icon_eek:And I've been storing mine in my mouth, ready for a quick rebait when the gar are on! Posted ImageI'm holding aarron solely responsible for this one!Is it any wonder the wife wont kiss me? I thought it was just because I'm old and ugly! .hissy.

Certainly looks like that the most important part is on how long the gents been in the store.As with all retailers, old stock at the front, new stock at the back.One would think if a retailer is on a main road, turn over would be reasonably good.As with long life gents, if been in store for say 4 weeks !! than still only get 14 days before going past the use by date.And oh as far as not using Sheldon bait gents, I don't even know if the is another producer ???????All my containers always had the little white with blue writing circleon the lids with Sheldon bait on it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to remember guys is that gents arent just limited to salt water.They are a great freshwater bait,and one of the best baits for Trout,can be deadly in fact.I have caught or know of ,Trout,Redfin,Carp,Goldfish,Silver Perch,Callop,Murray Cod,Catfish,all caught on the humble gent.Cheers

How did I miss this post??!!Bran will last for approx 2/3 weeks, but this does depend on how old they are when purchased. Like waterboy said, this time of the year you are pretty much guaranteed fresh stock due to the quicker turnover.The ideal temp is 3 degrees and try to give them a shake each morning to stop the bran from settling on the bottom of the container.The extended life packs are definitely the go if you want to keep them for longer. We have had them last for over three months. The most important thing is that they are kept moist at all times. If the mixture begins to dry the will begin to pupa. Just add a few drops of water if need be.Another thing, the dead maggots will work as well as a live one. If you have a few in the pack that are dead give them a try. We send them over to WA and because of the strict quarantine laws, they must be dead and they work just as well there as they do here! ;D

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends how long the gents have been in the tackle store before you buy them.I usually find that I can get 2 weeks out of most gents if kept in the fridge. By the third week they are usually a bit dried and shrivelled and starting to form casters.It is also worth changing the bran every week to keep the gents fresh. [glow=red,2,300]Casters are a reasonable bait in their own right and will still take fish. They are quite popular as an alternative to maggots in the UK.[/glow]If you can find these, extended life gents are great and will last twice as long as normal gents.http://www.sheldonsbait.com.au/index.php/products/gents-extended-life

Karma point Kelvin ;D. I always thought the casters were useless. Cheersasbo 8)