The Best Squid Jig?

Hey hookers!

Squid fishing is one of the more relaxing opportunities fishing offers I reckon.. I've certainly had a ball with mates in the past just sittin out on the rocks pullin in squids with a nice sunset backdrop.. Nice and easy for of fishing to get into as well ^_^

Will be headin out Monday's sunrise for the dodge tide to try and get onto a couple from the rocks at OH. Me and my mates have little competitions with who catches the most on which jigs and whatnot, a little bit of fun.. I'll be defending my previous win against him from Wool Bay a while back, and I lead him 28-18 for the year so far :D

So I'll be heading down to a store tomorrow possibly, to get my hands on a new jig, was wanting to get some opinions on you guys' all time favourite squid jigs.. My favourite is from the Yamashita Egi Oh Q Live 490 range - the Pink Rainbow Tape jig, has got me many a haul and has actually been torn to shreds by the squiddlies, so will either go get another one, or if I am convinced otherwise by some of you, something else!

Any opinions and thoughts are welcome, would be interested to hear the different jigs you all love :D

Cheers, Noz.

Right so here goes. 

This is my personal opinion. Everyone has there own theories or the must have colour..... 

However what works for me are 3 main factors.

Number 1:

Colour choice. It is not so much the colour that I am looking into. I am looking at how much UV properties a certain jig has. Squid are supposedly colour blind so they don't see colours however they see shapes and patterns from shadows and contrasting colours. When any light form hits a UV jag it creates a shadow/pattern that the squid can see easily. Uv Jags work well at night and on bright days..... On overcast cloudy days a dark more neutral colours creates contrast and that is what the squid see.

Number 2: 

Jag Size. I am landbased and alot of my waters i fish are shallower grounds. I believe Jag size is of massive importance. Imagine using an 3.5 jag in shallow waters. It means that it sinks quicker and gets down to the bottom quicker which means that you have to work the jag back faster. On average a 3.0 size jag will have a sink rate of 3 seconds per metre. I use nothing bigger than a 2.5 size jag and go as low as a 1.6 jag in real shallow waters. A 2.5 jag has a sink rate of approx 6 seconds per metre so theoretically the light the jag the longer sink rate time, the more time it is in the water so you can cover alot more water for alot longer.

So use a jag thats going to work in the waters you are fishing.... if you are out deep obviously you wouldn't use an 2.0 jag as the current and the deeper water wont get down to the bottom....

Number 3:

Make sure you get the jag as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged. I see it on so many occasions. People have jags under a float and you can see the jig under the water. Or even when working it back. Squid wont come up high to eat food in the water column. They know they are getting preyed and hunted on so they hide amongst the weed and cover of semi shelter. 

So they are the main areas i concentrate on when squidding. 

Also consider getting getting a better quality squid jag as they not only work differently, but also swim/drop more naturally and the components are generally better. 

Yo Zuri, Daiwa, and yamashitas are my go to jags with The Yo zuri HS being my go to colour. Next time you are in the shop run a uv torch over a Yo zuri HS jag and you'll understand why it is probably the most popular jag aswell as the Red white head Yo zuri.

Hope this helps

10 minutes ago, southie THE BANGA said:

Right so here goes. 

This is my personal opinion. Everyone has there own theories or the must have colour..... 

However what works for me are 3 main factors.

Number 1:

Colour choice. It is not so much the colour that I am looking into. I am looking at how much UV properties a certain jig has. Squid are supposedly colour blind so they don't see colours however they see shapes and patterns from shadows and contrasting colours. When any light form hits a UV jag it creates a shadow/pattern that the squid can see easily. Uv Jags work well at night and on bright days..... On overcast cloudy days a dark more neutral colours creates contrast and that is what the squid see.

Number 2: 

Jag Size. I am landbased and alot of my waters i fish are shallower grounds. I believe Jag size is of massive importance. Imagine using an 3.5 jag in shallow waters. It means that it sinks quicker and gets down to the bottom quicker which means that you have to work the jag back faster. On average a 3.0 size jag will have a sink rate of 3 seconds per metre. I use nothing bigger than a 2.5 size jag and go as low as a 1.6 jag in real shallow waters. A 2.5 jag has a sink rate of approx 6 seconds per metre so theoretically the light the jag the longer sink rate time, the more time it is in the water so you can cover alot more water for alot longer.

So use a jag thats going to work in the waters you are fishing.... if you are out deep obviously you wouldn't use an 2.0 jag as the current and the deeper water wont get down to the bottom....

Number 3:

Make sure you get the jag as close to the bottom as possible without getting snagged. I see it on so many occasions. People have jags under a float and you can see the jig under the water. Or even when working it back. Squid wont come up high to eat food in the water column. They know they are getting preyed and hunted on so they hide amongst the weed and cover of semi shelter. 

So they are the main areas i concentrate on when squidding. 

Also consider getting getting a better quality squid jag as they not only work differently, but also swim/drop more naturally and the components are generally better. 

Yo Zuri, Daiwa, and yamashitas are my go to jags with The Yo zuri HS being my go to colour. Next time you are in the shop run a uv torch over a Yo zuri HS jag and you'll understand why it is probably the most popular jag aswell as the Red white head Yo zuri.

Hope this helps

I've actually got that hs jig mate! Will chuck it under my UV torch.. Cheers for the info :P

I like the DJP green and yellow and a white warm jacket

I like larger sizes, especially off the jetty or with and wind blowing. I prefer size 3.0 and I usually have a 3.5 jig with me. The larger jigs will cast further and even small squid hit a big jig.

If it is really clear or the squid are just touching the jig and scooting away I drop down to a 2.0 or even a 1.5 size. Abit of wear and tear in the jig is good as it makes the jig look like an injured fish. I also like adding a bit of abalone shell sticker near the back of the jig.

Some great info there Southie and Kelvin.

That's some great tips about dropping the size when they are tentative and be in the strike zone longer, I need to get some smaller jigs to try and catch a live squid in West Lakes for a mully livebait so I'll take them with me when I think I'll get the chance to chase squid.

I only fish for squid for bait, the family appreciates the tubes though, so I'm no expert.

For me my favourite is the qantas (white with red head).

I take 3 colours with me, qantas, black and a coloured (natural multi-coloured) one, I'll start with the qantas and coloured if the sun is out or the qantas and the black if it's a bit overcast then use what's working. Last weekend it was qantas 3, black none.

Dave

Good luck on Monday Noz. Not too many being caught down there this morning.

The more I squid fish the less I believe colour make a difference. My go to at the moment recently caught squid at night, in the middle of a sunny day, in murky as water and in crystal clear water. So I'm not sure those colour charts for certain colours at certain times on bright/dull days are not worth a crock of shit. Just my humble opinion.😉 

As said before get the jig down into the zone the Squid should be lurking is probably the most important factor.

Emeraldas Nude Mango Shrimp, my go to ATM, pulling them out this morning.😉

image.thumb.jpg.5ed158f394c6b899347810643e71baf0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b7104d33dd713cfd1bcd39f15c82e512.jpg

You'll find the biggest colour we sell at the shop is the "Green orange Yellow Jag" which is very active in UV. Uv works as an all rounder as it works on most occasions as it changes with the light conditions. UV is only on brighter colours as it can adapt to light conditions alot better than darker colours....

We have had to Keep up with Extra stock of the Yo Zuri HS jag because I sell what works and have always have positive feedback from that particular colour.

The colour charts that PP is talking about above I've sworn by on some sessions then completely thrown them out the window on others. I do believe UV plays a massive part in a quality jig though as they have been some of my most successful. That being said a jig with no UV still catches squid.

All it takes is a nice silhouette of a jig flicking past a squid to attract it's attention and getting that jig into the right spot / zone like the other guys have said is the most important factor in my opinion. If the squid don't see the jig it doesn't matter how bright the UV, how pretty the colours or how awesome your technique is.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:05 PM, piratepom said:

Good luck on Monday Noz. Not too many being caught down there this morning.

The more I squid fish the less I believe colour make a difference. My go to at the moment recently caught squid at night, in the middle of a sunny day, in murky as water and in crystal clear water. So I'm not sure those colour charts for certain colours at certain times on bright/dull days are not worth a crock of shit. Just my humble opinion.😉 

As said before get the jig down into the zone the Squid should be lurking is probably the most important factor.

Emeraldas Nude Mango Shrimp, my go to ATM, pulling them out this morning.😉

image.thumb.jpg.5ed158f394c6b899347810643e71baf0.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b7104d33dd713cfd1bcd39f15c82e512.jpg

Hey! That's my favourite colour/pattern as well. The next would be the humble Neptune brand ones in lime green. Catch heaps of squid on these.

Im in the same boat as PP.

I dont think colour matters a whole deal. its about technique and being in the zone.

I've watched the pro's out at marino a number of times and i guarantee you, they wont spend 20-30 bucks on jags with uv, fluorescent rubbish etc. they know the areas they hang around in, they have the techniques and know the water column where they'll sit and will probably have the $2 to $5 jags on their hand lines.

they throw out about 3 hand lines and i reckon i've definitely seen green and pink ones thrown out but are the old school cloth types.

In saying this i do spend upto $30 bucks on jags if i like the look / shape of it :D its an addiction haha.

Dad and i have MANY jags in our tackle box (old, new, fish like etc) but we alternate between about 4 now. If a squid is REAL finicky, i'll drop to a small 1.5 as Kelvin mentioned. 

I've used 1 squid jag for that many years that the side 'fins' have disappeared but it still catches squid in abundance and cant find them anymore. I bought atleast 5 in all colors at the time and only have 2 left:(

if any one knows a shop that still has them, i'd be keen to stock up again