End of RecFish SA?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With respect AD, To achieve any outcome at all, the place to do that would be in the yet-to-be-created Fisheries Council - not social media - and in order to achieve a good outcome for rec's, the

According to the policy above, no, RecfishSA are to be part of the new body. "We will establish a new body for recreational fishers, including representatives of Recfish SA, ...." Just to ma

well said AD,no matter what the future it has to be better than the past or our hobby is doomed                                                                    cheers b

Posted Images

That "media release" is nothing more than some soap boxing from those within a forum admin group and a couple self proclaimed advisory groups.

Until I see an official release from some one within the new government I wont believe a word from any of the people quoted in that badly structured and amateur onlne PDF.

We've had a new government for all of 2 days, I'm sure right at the top of their priority is to address recreational fishing politics hahaha

Cos everything on facebook is the truth ....

Election policy/promises one thing, legislation changes once in government are a very different animal.

Its concerning your trying to make this out to be something that's its not, yet. 

By all means, try and hold them accountable to the promises they made to you, but honesty and transparency will go along way to gaining any credibility amongst us.

1 hour ago, Yelliwtail said:

You dont serm to understand policy. RFSA obviously do ! I note the AAA angling association joined our association and have put a request in to be on the Rec Council. All assocuations involved have taken note of your continuos FB slander comments. 

Do you understand that a pre-election policy means nothing? This is just what they plan to do not what they have done. They still need to implement this and im not saying they wont but it wouldnt be the first government to back-flip on a pre-election promise. How about waiting to see what they actually do before getting too carried away. 

On 3/19/2018 at 12:34 PM, Dangerous said:

With the election of the Liberals does it mean there is no more RecFish SA?

Not looking for a heated debate about what is happening, just a factual answer to my question.

According to the policy above, no, RecfishSA are to be part of the new body.

"We will establish a new body for recreational fishers, including representatives of Recfish SA, ...."

Just to make sure we're talking the truth not assumptions.

1 hour ago, snapper15.4kg said:

Thanks for putting that up  Yelliwtail. It is good to see the truth being presented.

Truth? All I'm seeing is a pre-election pamphlet knocked up by the Liberals outlining what they "promise" to do if elected!!

Anybody who thinks that a government intends to or in fact can realistically deliver on all election promises is delusional.

I, like the rest of this forum will wait and see if this re-structure actually happens, and if so, anything good comes of it.

5 hours ago, Yelliwtail said:

Policy was announced last Dec. It's included in the 100 day plan. As of yesterday RFSA removed it's Peak Body status from it's FB page.

image.jpg

https://strongplan.com.au/first-100-days/

YELLIWTAIL see attached link. where does it state that recfish will be abolished in the first 100 days?

I hope the come through with all they have promised for the fishing sector but atm its just words

4 hours ago, stormboy said:

https://strongplan.com.au/first-100-days/

YELLIWTAIL see attached link. where does it state that recfish will be abolished in the first 100 days?

I hope the come through with all they have promised for the fishing sector but atm its just words

stormboy, I hope I am not misunderstanding you. I do not believe that Yelliwtail would use the words "recfish will be abolished". From what I understand, RecFish SA are welcome to come and take a seat at the table.

Will be interesting to see what happens and how effective this new council will be. Are they volunteered positions or is there funding attached? Would hate to see the same issues with the new group - i think we need to follow the victorian model and make some drastic changes, so we can once again have an outstanding fishery in the next 5 to 10 years.

Also will be interesting to see if they allow the dredging of the channel as originally planned, given they seem to be pro business  (relaxing trading hours, reducing business tax, etc).

David

The official pre election policy statement is in the below link, any thing else is hearsay as far as I'm concerned

Again, this was PRE ELECTION.

Again, (happy to be proven wrong) I can't see it anywhere being stated as being implemented within 100 days of taking office.

https://www.stevenmarshall.com.au/representation_for_recreational_and_commercial_fishers

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/liberalpartyofaustralia/pages/4920/attachments/original/1511994352/POLICY_RECREATIONAL_FISHING_COUNCIL.pdf?1511994352

Of note, I see PIRSA will be for the better word, the gate keeper's.

13 hours ago, snapper15.4kg said:

stormboy, I hope I am not misunderstanding you. I do not believe that Yelliwtail would use the words "recfish will be abolished". From what I understand, RecFish SA are welcome to come and take a seat at the table.

Snapper15.4kg "abolished" was probably the wrong word to use sorry.

I am a supporter of the idea but I just feel that atm everyone is getting ahead of themselves. the details are vague and no time frame has been put in place. I just feel as though all of this carry on is getting peoples hopes up. we need to take a step back and wait for something to happen before jumping the gun. 

We need to understand that this is a new gov and they have almost no experience in governing. Things will more than likely take longer than anticipated to happen because of this. I also feel that there are more urgent matters for this gov to deal with than this issue. 

• 3 months later...

pretty close to 100 days since elected....

No official communication from anybody with any clout.

No changes in regards to anything.

All I've seen is some delayed generic response letters sent to Recfish Central and SAFA saying that the government still value rec fishing....

At this stage looks like it was all pre-election political spin

Tim Whetstone (no longer the pre-election David Ridgway) is now the go-to person.

Tim Whetstone is a busy man.
https://www.facebook.com/TimWhetstoneMP/photos/pcb.1525638990833377/1525638944166715/?type=3

Tim Whetstone`s priority list of "things to do" may very well not have the implementation of a new RFC towards the top of the page.

And, just maybe, Tim Whetstone is starting to realise what is involved in creating (essentially) a completely new representative body in terms of legislative, regulatory, administrative and departmental considerations, not to mention functionality handover including any ongoing projects and initiatives.
If anything happens my guess is that it will take months, quite possibly into 2019.

And a bag limit of one tuna seems to be more of a priority for the government at the moment...!
:(

I think all is not what was expected, the new Rec Fishing Rep needs to be approved by PIRSA to ensure they will just rubber stamp whatever PIRSA wants and the SBT issue will show the way the new government will handle rec fishing issues.

I hope I'm wrong but at the moment it seems we have jumped from the fat into the fire, come on Tim, prove me wrong.

Dave

Yeah, RecfishSA had the discussion on licenses a couple of weeks ago on facebook and the outcome was that it was a good idea for freshwater but a bad idea for salt water as there is no intentions to stock salt water species, buy back used licenses (it's pointless to buy back latent licenses as they are not utilised), introduce TACCs or for PIRSA to do anything to change their established practice of continually taking from the recs to give to the pros (i.e. the SBT issue at the moment, KGW, Blue Swimmer Crabs).

I think the SBT issue shows that we are likely to be worse off than we were before. No final decisions have been made on this issue so I live in hope that the government will stand up for the myriad of small businesses that benefit from rec fishing as opposed to a dozen or so tuna barons. I hope they prove me wrong and do the right thing by all South Australians and not just a few that donated $320K to their election campaign.

Ah, funding.
Stand to be corrected, but...

With the new government there has been no flagging to date of funding specifics for either the proposed Council, OR recreational fishing initiatives overall. The former not so much of an issue (assuming a pool of dedicated volunteer individuals), the latter gives some cause for concern. I can`t recall a dollar amount being mentioned pre/post election?

Given all the information to date, one would be forgiven for thinking that the new Council representing the purported 277K will be comprised of circa 8 - 12 appointed and/or elected (somehow) individuals, primarily from 4 groups/organisations, meeting somewhere a few times a year, on their own time of course (albeit surely not at their own expense!?), with who-knows-what funds to play with for the betterment of recreational fishing in SA.
(It is interesting to note that a RFL is concurrently being flagged, will that be the funding source for Council operating expenses?)

Indications that the Council will be reporting direct to the Ministers office is certainly an improvement (on paper anyway, it will be interesting to see how that works in practice as a counterpoint to any PIRSA-driven imperatives), but that aside I don`t see too much more worth celebrating for now.

Still no comment from any group about where they have been getting funded from. Looks like the rumours are true. Lobbying for the pros, anyone?

And lets not forget, a very prominent member of the government now owns one of, if not the, biggest pro fishing companies in the state. Guess we know where the funding was, and is, coming from!

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2018 at 7:44 PM, Yelliwtail said:

Not correct, the new body will be up and running in the next few months.

Hows this working out for you Mr Keegan?

Supposedly 277,000 Anglers have an invested interest in this situation, you claim to represent how many of them?

Whats the update from SAFA?

RecfishCENTRAL who claim to represent .08% of them has come out with the attached  "media release" admitting he and his members may have very well been shafted

libs_break_policy.pdf

Some might suggest such a release would probably not be the most politically savvy action at this juncture. Never mind.

But this does add a little "hmmm" factor...

Where does a "South Australian Recreational Fishing Advisory Council" ring a bell from?
Seat/popcorn/watch...

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/publications/fishfacts_e-newsletter/fish_facts_august_2018/new_ministers_recreational_fishing_advisory_council_for_south_australia