Great pics there Adrian.

Love the fungi,  so many different shapes and colours. So delicate and beautiful.

Looking forward for some Autumn rains over here to kick off our season.  Hopefully many-a-feed of Pine Mushys .

Maybe this year...ill find the elusive Porchini:wub:. Got a few spots sussed to check out, when the time comes :ph34r:.

3 minutes ago, Meppstas said:

Picked up a few Mushrooms in a paddock today on my walk back to the car... could have filled two bags had I wanted too, they were every where & only in the one paddock..

cheers

Adrian

5abb36439939e_IMG_6022(Medium).thumb.JPG.e9748b67ca3022610a034748a66514e2.JPG

Had a few of these  for lunch today... 

Thanks Adrian. Just the 'ammo' I needed to convince my better half we need to visit Tassie. She loves fresh mushrooms:1311_thumbsup_tone2::1311_thumbsup_tone2::1311_thumbsup_tone2:.

8 minutes ago, Meppstas said:

Picked up a few Mushrooms in a paddock today on my walk back to the car... could have filled two bags had I wanted too, they were every where & only in the one paddock..

cheers

Adrian

Had a few of these  for lunch today... 

Havnt since ive seen a field mushroom here for nearly 20 years. Yellow Stainer's have well and truly taken over :(.

As a kid we'd used to find Field Mushrooms every Autumn, as per Adrian's bag. Very, very tasty indeed.

Sadly, somewhere along the line they became far less common and Agaricus Xanthodermus (see below) or 'Yellow Stainer' became very dominant. They look similar to field mushys but are toxic. Easily distinguished by the yellow bruises that develop when damaged. These also smell somewhat like 'hospital disinfectant' too.

image.thumb.png.60fb6e75af484ba10a17d2eaf839509d.pngimage.png.96eec203dcb627b833d64925c197beaf.png

Im no expert but if you want an easy one to identify - both dead easy to find and identify, you cant go past the Pine Mushroom. Literally anywhere were there is an average stand of mature radiata pines will likely produce these, especially in the hills. I picked a heap from the young fellas school in Crafers (cant find that photo) and  could have easily gathered 100+kg at Kuitpo and Mt Crawford forests last season.

They look kinda weird as they are realllly orange and ooze orange sap when cut - hence also known as 'Saffron Milkcaps'. Their only downside is their mild flavour, not strong earthy you might expect from Fields or Porchini.

My favorite is simple: Quick pan fry in butter and a little garlic, brandy flambe. Served on toasted rye bread with  some freshly shaved pecorino :wub:

If you're not sure if it's a mushroom or a toadstool then leave it be, one way to check the difference is to scratch the top of it and if it goes yellow then it's a toadstool.. also a lot of toadstools are white underneath as well..

Here's a few magic mushrooms..

IMG_1683 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1684 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1685 (Medium).jpg

Codswallop! They're Fly Agaric not your 'magic mushrooms'. Also common in and around your Pine Mushrooms

Yes they are reported to produce hallucinations but are rather toxic. If you're lucky will result in abdominal cramping, vomiting & diarrhea. Unlucky, permanent liver damage. Are 'edible' with correct preparation, apparently delicious too! https://honest-food.net/eating-santas-shroom/

Stick with the standard Blue Meanies for your 'shroom experiences.