Rod and reel combo for tuna and kingfish

Hi all, hoping someone can give me some advice. I've just bought myself a small 5.3 metre fishing boat and I'm looking at getting a rod and reel combo to target some mid sized tuna and kingfish 6 - 12 kg upto 10 km or so off the coast of South Australia. Looking to spend about $400 on a rod and reel and my preference is to go with the shimano brand. Any suggestions or thoughts would be great. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Hi Marten,

I have two set ups for these fish, for casting plastics/jigs I have a 7 foot 8-12kg rod with a Penn Slammer (560 I think) and for trolling I have a 6 foot Triton Beastmaster 8-12kg rod and a TLD 20. On a kayak I think a 8-12kg rod is heaps, I'm not sure I'd even be likely to put that much pressure on a fish.

The guys at Sportfishing Scene will be able to help you out, they are a great bunch of guys with heaps of knowledge to share. I buy all my gear there.

Dave

G"day

I like shimano but in recent years have bought a number of these for snapper and tuna.  8-10 kg are good for snapper and 10 - 15kg for tuna.  I fish deep with 8 - 16oz sinkers so go the 850 or 950 reel.   You can select which combo you want and don't be fooled in to thinking they are not good quality because of the price.    Mind you can pay more than that just for the reel elsewhere.   

Cheers

Rod

http://www.rayannes.com.au/online-store/rod-and-reel-combos/boat-and-jigging-combos-spin-and-overhead/penn-spinfisher-combos-rod-reel-only-129/

I guess it depends how serious you are and under what circumstances you're chasing them. 

Taking small tuna like that you'll be able to use 20lb braid on snapper gear if you've got enough capacity. If the kings are by catch in surface skirts in deep you should be alright also; although it'll be a hell of a fight on a 10+kg model. 

If you're targeting kings near the reefs with Jigs and live baits etc though, you'll want at least 50lb. 10kg + kings over reef will turf you in an instant if you hook them within 15 meters of the reef itself on snapper gear. 

• 3 weeks later...