What would your best all round combo be?

If you could only pack one setup to do you everything from light bread and butter species right up to large salmon, flatties, mullies etc. 

Bearing in mind you might be fishing from a range of terrains and situations using both bait or lures.

Do you have a setup that you could use for most of these situations? If so what is it???

Interested in hearing if you make it possible or you take a couple rods etc....

Only asking as i usually take to much gear then regret taking it as i never use it all....

I have one setup that seems to come with me wherever i go, although it's perhaps a bit heavy for your gar, mullet etc. And pretty sporty for the larger coorong mullies and snapper. Also used it in the fresh for callop. its never let me down.

The rod is a storm mojo 8-17lb 2pce and 6 foot off the top of my head

Its very light on a whole and light in the tip for the rating, but when loaded up has a beautiful action.

The reel i have paired is a okuma rtx pro 2500 size, spooled with 15lb braid.

Would 100% reccomend this setup for a wide variety of species.

+1 for this rod. Ian at SFS recommended this rod to me to take on a recent trip north. Matched it with a 3000 size daiwa reel running 30lb braid and it handled barra to 90cm. Threw everything from 3" weedless swimmerz and 20g soft vibes up to 120mm crystal minnows and B52's and casting for long periods wasn't a hassle. Would match up as well with a 2500 reel as Dylbaa mentioned. I'll be using it locally on the Kayak for squid etc. It would struggle flicking micro HB's, soft plastics or small poppers for bream and YFW, but anything heavier would be fine. Throw in a 4-8lb 7' spin rod with a 2000 reel and all bases covered!

I have been giving this a bit of thought over the last few months, dreaming of joining the nomads.The Pflueger Trion Transcendent Travel Rods look pretty good they have a butt, 2 mid and 2 tip sections that can be interchanged to suit your needs.

My current travel rod is shimano Tcurve LT Spin 2.13m 3pc 5-10kg and stradic 4000. A bit heavy for the bread and butter but an excellent set up for the bigger fish.

Of my rods, the most versatile would be the 9ft livefibre trophy, with a 4000 daiwa BG. 

Purely because it chucks lures and baits well, sensitive for small stuff but gutsy enough to really load up on bigger stuff. 9ft gets me a bit of distance if I need it, and I've used it with a smaller reel for redfin even. 

In saying that, I'm always one for taking multiple combos. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My ultimate rod / combo that i just cant get enough of at the moment is

6'10 G loomis NRX with a 2500 Shimano Sustain spooled with 10lb power pro with 12lb suffix fluorocarbon leader. 

it's caught all the bread and butter species that we fish for, it's so light yet so strong (snapper, squid, whiting, snook, garfish and have bought up a 8-10kg gummy shark which i ended up loosing after i had it in the landing net)

Would love to put a Stella on it but cant justify $1000+ for recreational fishing.