Question about Tuna oil

Hi guys , i have a question regarding tuna oil.

By law , it is illegal to berley with blood (amongst other things) from our saltwater shores. 

I see that alot of tuna oils available in tackle stores are very dark and thick , some are very pink/clear in colour also .

My questions are, does anyone know the process of how the make tuna oil ? is there blood in tuna oil ?

Is it legal to use tuna oil from the shore to berley ?

cheers,

From my understanding, as long as its all FISH products, you can put as much blood, guts, flesh in the water as you want.

In terms of the oil process, i'd imagine it'll be a similar process to crushing olives for olive oil. 

They'll get all the fish offal (because i doubt it'll all be 'tuna'), crush it and then squeeze the juice out of it.

depending on what type of fish they put, will depend on the colour.

Like the olive oil, there is all types of colours yellow, greens etc

My 2 cents about it anyway

Straight from the PIRSA website. For the purposes of this thread it seems a fish is not an animal.
😉

"If you're berleying, don't forget that there are rules around where and what you can use. You must not use any part of the body of an animal (other than a fish, worm or insect) as berley within 2 nautical miles of the mainland or any island or reef that is part of South Australia and exposed at the low water mark."

http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing/recreational_fishing#toc1

I was pretty confident about the Fish offal / blood etc. cheers for that Kon.

However, this is a new one that i haven't read before....

• Never use leftover or uncooked seafood sold for human consumption, such as prawns, abalone, crabs, oysters, as bait or berley as it has the potential to spread aquatic diseases. It should be noted that these types of aquatic diseases have no impact on humans.

I must admit, i've bought prawn shells and heads on the boat before for berley.

I'm a little dumb founded with this one to be honest. i would have thought once the prawns have been boiled that any diseases would be 'cooked off' so to speak.

Well, now i know and will be dumping the left overs in the bin.

But thinking about it, whats with the crabs also??

You think the fish (whether its a snapper, squid, octopus etc) ask if the crabs or prawns have any diseases before they attack them??

Seriously!! What a load of rubbish. 

I think "imported to SA" crabs is the issue - lots of concern in recent times about White Spot.

BUT having said that, something to note from the attached pdf;

If catching your own prawn or crab bait in South Australia, use it only in the water from where it came. You could be fined if caught depositing species not
native to the area you are fishing in.

"not native to the area" meaning the immediate vicinity presumably? So stuff caught in GSV can`t subsequently be used for berley at Turton is the inference?

They really are getting concerned about any possible spread vectors, it would appear.

☠️

Fact_Sheet_-_White_Spot_Disease_information_for_recreational_fishing_-_Jan_2018_.pdf