Hi all I'm a ex South Oz from over 30 years ago and am moving back from Perth. My dilemma is that I have no intentions at all to living in the metro area. I have a 21 foot Haines sig and am trying while living here to work out where to move to over at Yorkes. We love our fishing and would have to adjust as we usually fish 30 metres plus here but miss our kg and snapper fishing. I have been deciding on the towns but am very sceptical to commit due to if we get it wrong it will take forever to sell and move. The towns we are considering are in no preference order Wallaroo, Ardrossan, Edithburgh, Wool bay, Point Turton, Port Victoria and Port Hughes. I am hoping that I can get some helpful feedback to help our choice.

Pt Vic would be my pick if it was me. It is in the Middle of Yorkes so no matter what way you want to go fishing you are half way there. It is a great little town that is pretty easy going.. Not a lot there just the kiosk and general store which i reckon has fuel, no big servo, the pub is bloody fantastic, I've had many great nights there. The fishing there is fantastic in close then if you go out wide past Wardang Island (no issues in your boat) there are some big fish and squid to be had. Only down side there is an Aboriginal camp at Pt Pierce and they come into town to get booze, sometimes cause trouble but the locals usually sort them out. :lol: You have to be on the ball at the ramp or end up on rocks.. But any experienced captain will be fine.

Second would be Ards.. It is a bit closer to Adelaide and has a lot more stores if that is your thing... Some great snapper there on a handful of drops but every knows them and they get hit hard from the locals and the people from Adelaide as it's only an hour and a bit out of Adelaide on the road and about the same if you head over the gulf in the boat from St Kilda,  Which i have been lucky enough to do a few times with members on here. The servo has the best fried chicken and sausage rolls too!!

Third would be Wallaroo. Plenty of stores and services, good fishing but from what i have been told there is a fair drug problem in these parts.. Kadina is the ICE capital of Yorkes apparently which is spreading like wildfire and invading WallyWorld... Just this week on the news there was a massive issue there where someone pulled a gun on the cops and they locked the town down pretty much.

If you want total isolation Marion Bay.

Hope this helps and makes sense :lol:

Cheers.

Just a short reply til I get time to write an encyclopedia on the subject.

Pt Hughes, Pt Vic, Ardrossan and Wallaroo have better access to shopping AND MEDICAL facilities (at Wallaroo and Kadina)

Local rumour is the Yorketown Hospital, which services the bottom end of YP, will close 

Wallaroo, Pt Hughes, Py Vic, Edithburgh and Point Turton have good boat ramps/marinas.  Wool Bay is close to Edithburgh so you should also consider Coobowie.

Places on the Eastern side of YP have more fishing days as the prevailing winds are mostly westerly.  These places are sheltered by the land.. My personal opinion is they also have "better fishing".

You should also look at Stansbury and  Port Vincent, though shopping and medical will be an issue... and Moonta Bay, which is now part of the Pt Hughes spread.

Hope this helps.

I know what you mean softy but I have lived near some really beautiful families over here and then had the ugly and we would prefer to distance ourselves a bit as it will be our last move. I know you can get some crap in every town and you can't tell what your neighbour will be like so just trying to shorten the odds.

Poppa snake when we get there and settle in I will be looking for deckies as been away for so long my school mates don't have my fishing addiction.😊

I am leaning towards the towns up the top as I've read they might be closing down a few things down the bottom.

The work prospect will also be a lot better up the top also as I'm not rich enough to retire yet ( need to win lotto 😁 )

You might want to have a look at Pt Broughton/Fishermans Bay or the other end at Corny Point. Both have excellent fishing & easy going places. I am fortunate in that I have relatives that have premises at both those locations which I can visit virtually anytime . 🙂

I live in Kadina & it’s not that bad. All the services you need as long as it’s before 5pm when everything shuts except the pub. Close enough to 2 of the best ramps on the Yorkes. I travel up & down the Yorkes for work & it is a beautiful place. But as you said check out your neighbors before you buy as every town has dkheads.

I have lived in coastal country SA for heaps of years from Thevenard to Port Vic. and many  places in between.

From my experience and people that I have met , The golden rule in respect to country towns  is

If Your Missus Likes It You Will Like It.

Pick a town you like, stay in a rental for a couple of weeks during the winter when there is not much movement and take it from there.

Good Luck with your move.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Yeah main reason is the missus family all live in Adelaide and all my direct family moved over west. I have some relies in Kadina and Moonta and for me to move back to SA there was no way I could  ever reside in Adelaide.

I have some relies over at Lincoln but any further out from there she isn't going to agree as they have a reasonable airport to get back to Adelaide for her.

I had to compromise with her otherwise not a happy girl as she has never lived outside a city and is scared she won't like it. No probs for me as I grew up down by Bordertown and have told her for years that we are not retiring in some sh*t hole of a city.

In the end we are trying to compromise with each other as I love the bottom of yorkes but I know that my chances of getting work are at the best remote as for her it doesn't matter as she works from home remote for a Canberra company. The reason  why we started this journey a little earlier is I have and a shoulder reco and can't get rid of industrial dermatitis on my hands so we made the decision that if I have to start a new job may as well move and start a new life 😎

What about towns in between such as port wakefield, dublin, etc

Close to adelaide and yorkes, which may open up your work options.

Or you can look at two wells, gawler, paralowie - which was still in suburbia but generally have bigger sizes blocks.

Good luck with your decision - at least you have a boat that will allow you to fish in most places around sa 😊

Good luck with the x-lotto - we are also waiting for all our numbers to come up as well!

David

6 hours ago, westoz said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Yeah main reason is the missus family all live in Adelaide and all my direct family moved over west. I have some relies in Kadina and Moonta and for me to move back to SA there was no way I could  ever reside in Adelaide.

I have some relies over at Lincoln but any further out from there she isn't going to agree as they have a reasonable airport to get back to Adelaide for her.

I had to compromise with her otherwise not a happy girl as she has never lived outside a city and is scared she won't like it. No probs for me as I grew up down by Bordertown and have told her for years that we are not retiring in some sh*t hole of a city.

In the end we are trying to compromise with each other as I love the bottom of yorkes but I know that my chances of getting work are at the best remote as for her it doesn't matter as she works from home remote for a Canberra company. The reason  why we started this journey a little earlier is I have and a shoulder reco and can't get rid of industrial dermatitis on my hands so we made the decision that if I have to start a new job may as well move and start a new life 😎

Lincoln is probably the place for you. 45 min flight to Adelaide. More hustle and bustle than any of the Yorkes towns and also the other Eyre towns day to day for the Missus. My wife does FIFO from here and also works from home remote. We are forty minutes from Lincoln but it feels like a big small town. Lived the last three years in Darwin and miss nothing health, shopping or entertainment wise. It is better here. Darwin 100,000, Lincoln 16,000. Live in Lincoln, Coffins or Tumby Bay. Better than those overrun by city slicker YP Towns. 😁

Work considerations aside - Tumby Bay could be worth a look if you are even remotely considering Eastern EP. Last drove through there a few years ago without taking a great deal of notice, but it certainly has got a LOT more "modern" than it was in the 80s! At a drive-through glance anyway.
Worth a few street views if nothing else.

Strokes for folks, but personally;
Port Lincoln - has a bit of a "Geelong" feel to it for some reason
Cowell - nice enough coastal town, but rather more shall we say "rustic" than Tumby ;)
Whyalla - has got really busy compared to 15-20 years ago

Just FWIW - and based on a little personal experience and happenstance scuttlebut here and there, nobody don`t shoot me y`all...
🙂

Hi Knackers

My last trip over SA was to Coffins and tried to launch from farm beach but without a tractor so we had no chance so we launched from town ramp. This added a bit more time but we bagged out on our tuna and a few other fish so all good but the missus didn't like it there and said no to living there. I'm looking at house's in Lincoln but she has her head set on one of the old bungalow's and finding the one she wants for the cash we have is problematic in both areas. I have a plus with Lincoln in a very good mate is going to retire there in a few more years so I just have to find the right house.😁