Single Hooks

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing my treble hooks on my salmon metal lures over to single inline hooks. Is it best to face the gape of the hook outwards/up, or facing back towards the lure (shape of a  J )? I've seen both hook placements in fishing mags so both options must catch fish but which way do you think is better? Keeping in mind I'm only talking about metal type salmon lures.

Cheers

I've really concentrated on single hooks this year, although dabbled a bit last year.

After hooking too much weed when it was around, I found a single to pull through most weed or hook very minimal amounts.

I have found that it has not mattered if the hook is facing up / down / sideways etc.  All hook ups so far has not mattered with the hook angle.

I generally find it hardish to put a hook on the split ring even with using split ring pliers - I find using a staple remover better.

The Salmon have a good sized mouth so when they swallow the hook/lure it really doesn't matter on angle as they do get hooked either way ;) 

General consensus though is to have the tail hook with the gape curving up for marginally better snag protection and if you have a mid hook, have it the opposite way (J while dangling beneath the lure).

As Doobie said, it doesn't really batter with salmon though. Even if there is a second or third hook point, I wouldn't bother with it for salmon. They go too nuts when you get them out of the water and the less hooks to catch yourself on the better. Also as Doobie said, the way they attack a lure, they're easy enough to hook even with a single hook on the lure tail, no matter which way the hook is facing.

Thanks for the replies. What you've both said makes a lot of sense. I want to look after the fish if I decide to return them plus also not put a treble in my hand (fishing Karma 🙁), actually only had that happen so far with small hard body lure trebles....Ouch!

I'm making use of the shitty windy weather to do all the tackle and gear prep that I've put off for a while now.

Tight lines!

On 11/08/2018 at 5:09 PM, plankton said:

With salmon lures the direction doesn't matter.

I use circle hooks on all my salmon lures, gets 'em right in the corner of the mouth every time, and fewer dropped fish for sure. 

Cheers Plankton,

Are those circle hooks designed for lures or do you use regular circle hooks that would be used bait fishing? Would like to give that a try sometime in the future too.